Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » WDIV ignores angels night « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Philbo
Username: Philbo

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been channel surfing since last night for info about the fires that have happened on Angels night. Channels 2 and 7 did a good job reporting it but 4 seems to have totally ignored it. Any political motives here?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What have they been covering in it's place?

Smart move...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7879
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV Don't need to cover Angel's Night unless it becomes HARD NEWS!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8984
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FOX was showing random fires that had happened that morning and the day before, though they weren't believed to be arson related. Guess they just needed to get some kind of flames on the screen.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There couldn't possibly be anything newsworthy about Angels' Night; was there blood or violently debrided brain tissue to behold?

I rest my case.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They did cover a house fire on the 11pm news last night that took the lives of a 70 year old woman and her son, who tried to save her. There was no heat in the house and she was using some other method for warmth.

I, for one, am glad that at least one station considers Devil's/Angel's Night to be a non-issue

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's hilarious that now it's called angel's night.

I'm imagining thousands of Detroit children flitting 'round sprinkling glitter love dust upon everything :-)

Maybe that's a great idea - have parents dress their children as angels and everyone go out in the neighborhoods just playing around, having block parties, etc. If you could get it to happen the bad guys couldn't do anything because all the angel people would see. (ok, seriously, how dorky can I be.)

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you had all of the kids running around playing on angels night they would all be arrested for curfew, bad idea.LOL

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3522
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usually WDIV covers the Angel's Night as a recap after the three days are done to give a true assessment of the statistics. Airing a fire on angel's night gives the impression that their are more than ususal fires going on.

There are about 60 fires a day in Detroit, most of which are small fires that are already extinguished by a few minutes worth of work. A good portion of these are vehicluar fires from accidents.

Once all the numbers are in, then we have a better assesment.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Mschievous.

We need to stand guard the night of, but we need to let it fade from the Detroit culture and let it only exist in the history books.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3525
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like I was right...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/17856748/detail.html?tree ts=det&tid=2654296162813&tml=d et_12pm&tmi=det_12pm_-1_105002 10312008&ts=H

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing to remember: Almost every night in Detroit is a version of Devils Night. As the Detroit News reported earlier this year, Detroit has perhaps the most serious fire problem in America. In 2004, fire fighters put out more than 10,000 fires, twice as many as their counterparts in New York, which is more than eight times as populous and has many, many more buildings.
As the Free Press has reported, the DFD does it even with up to 11 rigs out of service every day and many companies closed permanently over the past few years.
Given Detroit's poverty and abandonment, it's remarkable that large-scale tragedies have been averted.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 454
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hats off to the fire fighters in this town and the great job they do despite understaffing.

Unless the spike in fires is part of the zombie apocalypse and random corpses are caught in the act of setting fire to abandoned buildings, I see no reason why the happy-face chuckleheads on WDIV should report on them.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too busy plugging Gaidica's theater.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 409
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a Catch-22: If you show something negative, you're accused of bad-mouthing the city; if you don't show it, you're accused of neglect or denial.

Sadly, arson fires in Detroit are not a noteworthy event. Maybe when the last house burns down, it will be of interest.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 456
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent. The 'supposed' press can make a mountain out of a mole hill. There mustn't have been even a mole hill.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.