Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Angelina's open tonight! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on in to Angelina's on Broadway. They're finally open for business.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 906
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

broadway and what?is it an italian restaurant?

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, it's an italian restaurant. Corner of Broadway and Grand Circus Park.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Witherell and Broadway.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody go? Review?

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry my initial post was so brief. I'm not too verbose when I'm typing on my iPhone (and while eating a meal). I had the gnocchi which was very good... albeit decadent. The appetizers I saw going around all look really delicious. It's a beautiful setting too, they really put a lot of love and thought into the restaurant.

The entrees range from 12 to about 25 dollars and they have a great antipasto bar in front of the exposed kitchen.

I've spoken with the owners during the build and they're really good guys. They wanted to open over a year ago but issues with the landlord prevented them going forward with their plans in a timely fashion but they stuck with it and with Detroit. So go support this great new local spot if you like Italian food. And really, who doesn't?

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone else been?

Edgar_rhode
Username: Edgar_rhode

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

went there tonight based on hearing about it in this thread.

at three days old there are still some growing pains ( nothing major ). the food portions were generous. flavors were good - though i didn't care for the dipping sauce accompanying the calamari appetizer. the pricing reasonable for an upscale eatery ($20 - 30 main course). the decor seemed a little thin but they say you don't eat the ambiance... wait staff was attentive and social.

it really is a great location overlooking grand circus park, right next to the opera house.

this is a rough economy to start a restaurant in downtown but if they make it through to baseball season ( its in sight of comerica park ) they might stand a chance. i hope so... its always great to see someone trying to revitalize the downtown corridor. i wish them luck...

(Message edited by edgar_rhode on November 01, 2008)

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was walking by Angelina's last night after leaving Detroit Beer Co, and I stopped in for a beer.

They have a nice big 3-sided bar ... several beers on tap (in 12 or 20 ounce glasses) incl. DBC's Dwarf beer and some Motor City beers, and of course they have bottled beer too. The beer isn't cheap -- but it's a pretty classy place with a nice atmosphere.

I checked out their lunch menu and dinner menu. Everything sounds good. Prices are not bad for a nice place. For lunch, the servings of their entrees are smaller and the prices are lower.

They'll do great on the nights when there's a show at the Opera House, and they'll do okay when there's a show at the Fox or Music Hall. They'll have people at the bar (if not at the tables) when there's a Tiger or Lions game.

Even when there's no game, and nothing at the Opera House, Fox or Music Hall, it's still a nice place for dinner -- or a drink at the bar.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went for lunch yesterday. I was very impressed by the freshness and quality of all the food presented. My strip was a little over-cooked, but overall very good food, the meat antipasto platter was great. Homemade noodles and nice sized portions a real winner. Confortable bar area and a nice renovation with an eye to the history of the place. I thought table linens and paper would be a nice touch, but a minor complaint indeed. All in all, this place has potential to be one of the better eateries in Detroit.....not the "nicest", but the chef definitely knows what he is doing, a little tweaking of the menu will make it a food favorite of mine....Service was excellent.

Herbpowell
Username: Herbpowell

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that they serve DBC beer, because Michigan's weird liquor laws they aren't allowed to distribute. Must be some kind a loophole for them sharing a wall or something.

D_parcells
Username: D_parcells

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually DBC beers are distributed by Viviano wine, and are bottled and kegged at Atwater Brewery. Not sure if Atwater is actually brewing the beers or not, but as far as I can guess that would be the only way around the laws pertaining to DBC distributing.

haven't tried Angelinas yet, but I have heard very mixed reviews

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 644
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Girlfriend and I ate there late Saturday night. The bar was probably 75% full but there were only a few parties in the dining room area, once again though it was late, around 9:30p-10:00p. Of course in most major cities, a downtown restaurant would be packed at this hour on a Saturday. They specifically said they are doing a soft opening and not advertising so that they can properly transition and not take on too much at once.

Food was pretty good and entrees actually come with soup or salad, which is getting harder and harder to find these days. Our waiter was decent, decor was lofty feeling but not ultra modern chic.

Nice addition to the downtown restaurant scene and judging by its neighbors, Small Plates and Detroit Beer Factory, it should do okay as long as they have a good product and service.

(Message edited by cmubryan on November 12, 2008)

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had lunch there with a friend and felt good about it all the way around. Pork shoulder pizza was a real country Italian dish with strong flavors. Nice large bar for drinks. Could be just the ticket for a holiday event at the Opera House.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.