Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Old paper Hudson's Credit Card (1943) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello All -

I've had this for years - it was found in the bottom of the fireplace in a 1928 house I owned in Ferndale about 12 years ago. Not sure what I want to do with it - I was thinking about asking the Detroit Historical Museum if they wanted it.

It is blank on the back.

What do you think?

http://img100.imageshack.us/im g100/290/1011645da3.jpg

~Liza

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how interesting...I sure hope someone can tell us a bit more about it. I'll be sure to check back later!

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the detroit historical museum is a good idea lizanne; they are the current keepers of a lot of hudson's building memorabilia.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen similar cards for Hudson's as well. My next door neighbor(when I was a child) was an elevator operator there for 30+ years. She had so much wonderful stuff to share from her days at Hudsons. Sad to say that her daughter reaped all of the benefits my selling them after she passed away!!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen similar cards for Hudson's as well. My next door neighbor(when I was a child) was an elevator operator there for 30+ years. She had so much wonderful stuff to share from her days at Hudsons. Sad to say that her daughter reaped all of the benefits by selling them after she passed away!!

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 320

Identification coin, eh? This is a very interesting artifact!

Lizaanne

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought about selling it, but I can't imagine it would be worth much. And I would hate for it to just go into someone else's pile of stuff and not be seen or taken care of. The museum is probably the best bet.

I would love to know more about the coin - does anyone know what that would have been or have a photo of one?

~Liza

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Liza,
As your card states, it was used in conjunction with Hudson's standard charge coin, sometimes referred to as a token, during the war years. The coins were the early version of a charge card, and were very similar to a charge card today, each having a unique serial number linking the bearer to a charge account. These coins were made of copper and about an inch and a half in length, with an exception being a rare silver colored coin made from an alloy. Consensus was these were produced during the war when copper was scarce. Around 1950 Hudson's began to change to the "Charge-A-Plate" style card, which was a dog-tag like metal tag imprinted with the full name, address, and account number of the customer. I have five of the coins in my collection, including an alloy version. Perhaps the most unique one I have also has the new replacement charge plate, and the letter with envelope that Hudson's sent to the owner explaining the new replacement card which I was able to acquire as a set a few years back.
I have attached a couple shots of the coins and the charge plate as well.
Sorry for the angles, but most of my collection is packed up at the moment preventing me from going in and grabbing some clear pics.
Larger versions may be found here.
I hope this answers your questions, and if you're looking for a good home for your card, my Hudson's shelf would welcome it with open arms! ;-)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2741
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice collection, Krawl!

What is the Fox marquis from?

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krawlspace, that's a great collection of artifacts! Beautiful!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"your cooperation will be highly appreciated"

I love that part of the card. The whole card is just so polite and warm sounding.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The card in the green sleeve is similar to the one our family had in the 50's and on. My parents were very, very proud of that card and even more proud when the Hudson's delivery truck pulled up in front of the house. If Hudson's had offered bells, whistles and a siren for delivery, my parents would've taken them up on it. It was immensely prestigious to shop at Hudson's. Though we shopped mostly local (you could walk up the street to any type of merchant) most of our furniture and household goods were purchased from Hudson's. We were a family of modest, middle class means.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW Liz and Krawl, thanks for posting these great memories. I was just thinking of that Hudson's charge recently, and you guy's put a picture to it for me.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb-
The Fox marquee is from a set of ceramic decor pieces sold by Hudson's in 1998. To my knowledge there were at least four of them including the Fox, the RenCen, Tiger Stadium, and my favorite, the Penobscot Building. I have all of them except the RenCen. All of them light up in some form.

1kielsondrive-
Hudson's was known for their free delivery service on ANY item purchased at the store or from the catalog. From a spool of thread to a grand piano.

Thanks all for the compliments as well. I have been collecting Detroit memorabilia for 20 years and enjoy sharing stories and history of the items with others. Here's some shots of the rest of the collection.
Full size can again be found here.

(Message edited by krawlspace on October 29, 2008)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an old paper gas station credit card from the same time period, Lizaanne. I will post a scan of it soon.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fabulous collection! When is the museum open for tours and how much is admission?

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krawlspace, thanks for posting these photos. I never thought I'd see another Goebel bottle. I had heard of the Hudson's charge coins, but never seen one. I always assumed they were circular. My father, who worked for many years for Hudson's told me that long-standing customers persisted in using the coins for many years after the charge-a-plates replaced them, as emblems of old money. This required the clerks to write up the transaction by hand.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 446
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting term, charge-plate. Haven't heard that for many decades. Charge-plate. That's what it was, my mother's Hudson's charge-plate.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3723
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother's "credit card":

Not sure how old it is; she worked there ~1937-1942 and was a loyal customer to the end.

quote:

Hudson's was known for their free delivery service on ANY item purchased at the store or from the catalog. From a spool of thread to a grand piano.

Not only would they deliver anything they sold, but they offered numerous services as well. You could send them a patch of fabric, a piece of thread, or a button you needed more of, and they would find a match. My mother would have them steam-clean our draperies. The workmen would come to the house, take them down and to the warehouse, and when they were cleaned would reinstall them. Hudson's insulated our attic and cleaned our carpets. Not a day went by where the green Hudson's delivery truck didn't drive down our street. They were as regular as the UPS truck or the mail.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3822
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread. Great photos.

Lizaanne

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krawl - that is OUTSTANDING!!!!! Wow - what a collection!!!

Thanks so much for the info and the photos! Not sure yet what I want to do with my little card, but I will absolutely keep you in mind!! :-)

~Liza

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Krawlspace,
you deserve a whole wing at the Detroit Historical Museum in Detroit with your extensive collection. I remember the Hudson's shopping bag, brings back memories of shopping in the Woodward Shops (when they had a sale)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.