Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Awrey's former Detroit (Tireman Avenue) Plant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi gang! About two years ago I posted a message here asking if anyone had any photos to share of the old Awrey Bakeries' main baking plant that use to be located at 5231 Tireman Avenue in Detroit. Awrey's was a large two-to-three story high facility which took up the entire block along Tireman—right where the two Detroit street grid patterns merge together between Begole and Ironwood.

Although there were a number of memories shared here and suggestions passed along as to possible sources where I might obtain a photo, but unfortunately, no photos of the facility seem to be available.

Well, since then I have obtained a slide image photo that was taken by my father back in the mid-1950s which just happens to show a portion of the plant. But because the photo was taken during a wedding ceremony held at the church located on the next block, the Awrey's plant is only seen in the distant background, and consequently not in the best of focus. Nevertheless, I've decided to share a cropped version of the photo here to help bring back a few memories for those who grew up or frequented the city's west-side, the Tireman—Grand River area.

Awrey's Tireman Plant

Since this photo was taken the facility had undergone a number of renovations and additions by the early-1960s, where most of my memories of the facility originate. The older darker brick building in the center of photo appears to be their original 1914 storefront building, which by the '60s had undergone a complete face-lift. Apparently the rest of the complex had been built around it, eventually taking over the entire block along Tireman. Even the Awrey trademark windmill logo, seen hanging from the building, had undergone a remake by the 1960s and was replaced by the one which currently resides along-side their Livonia facility on Farmington Road.

Since this plant played an important part in my childhood years I wanted to add a few photos to a family project I've been working on. But so far only this slide image has emerged. I guess it will just have to do, unless a member here can come to the rescue.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6782
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you try this?

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Aiw for that link, but I had already run across those photos a few years ago. Unfortunately, they're all dated from the 1940s and mostly interior shots. But I do check back there from time to time to see if they've undated the photos as they've done with other topics, but so far no updates.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.