Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » R.I.P. Northwest Airlines -- Justice Dept OKs Merger « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3167
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we should get used to this region being referred to as "Delta." ::sighs::

"Department of Justice officials approved the merger this afternoon of Northwest Airlines Corp. and Delta Air Lines Inc., a deal announced in April that will create the world's largest air carrier.

The decision was the final hurdle for the two companies as they seek to merge their operations into one global airline employing more than 75,000 workers and boasting and 800-plus fleet of aircraft, with Detroit Metropolitan Airport in Romulus as its second-largest hub."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081029/B IZ/810290467

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7984
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delta is better than northworst in my experience

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6781
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And everyone's better than United!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3572
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Delta is better than northworst in my experience

Not in mine...

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3168
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dislike Delta. You do not want to fly to Atlanta to transfer flights (oh the horror...)

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 590
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey what about my NWA frequent flier miles ??

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never liked Northwest.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3857
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, don't really care.

It's not like the merger is affecting business at DTW.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 739
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if my best friend, who is a newer Northwest flight attendant, will have a job after this? It'd be a shame if she had to retire that hot uniform lol

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dday, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking...I've finally built up enough miles for a free flight to Europe, they better not void them.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7595
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba likes United, loyal to United.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 591
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rrl I was planning on Hawaii

Kahnman
Username: Kahnman

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Atlanta hub is by far the WORST terminal I have ever experienced!! We barely caught our flight with a 1.5 hour layover - the whole time was going up,down,in and out of that M.C. Escher nightmare...

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 684
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what is going to happen with the mechanics and flight attendants, who are unionized at NWA but not at Delta?

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northwest Orient.... (Bong!)....A-i-r-l-i-n-e-s

Gone but not forgotten!

Giver108
Username: Giver108

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frequent flyer miles and elite status on NWA is to be honored in such by Delta. I wish I had a link to a source but that was what I read in information sent to me by NWA when this merger happened several months ago. I hope this is true more than anyone as I have a ton of miles banked but more importantly don't want to lose any of my elite perks.

I always seem to be the exception but my favorite airline is NWA. I travel by air frequently and have experienced the fewest disruptions on NWA over any other airline.

Giver108
Username: Giver108

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.nwa.com/merger/?int omni=tc.hplead_Merger_HPLead_2

I found this link on NWA's website that states that frequent flyer miles and such shall remain as is after the Delta merger.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's something in my email from NWA:

Dear Mortgageking,

We are excited to announce that Northwest Airlines is now a part of Delta!

For you, this means it's business as usual right now, as we combine to create a premier global airline with a leading presence in the world's major markets and a best-in-class loyalty program.

Rest assured that there is no change to your WorldPerks miles or your program status. And, you should continue to:

* Purchase tickets and modify existing reservations as you've always done via nwa.com or NWA Reservations at 1-800-225-2525
* Check in, check baggage and do business directly with the airline you are flying just as you did before the merger
* Earn WorldPerks miles as usual with Northwest and our Mileage Partners
* Redeem WorldPerks miles for award ticket travel, PerkChoice Cash and Miles award tickets, and items on WorldPerks Auctions
* Enjoy uninterrupted access to WorldClubs

And if you become a WorldPerks Elite member, you will enjoy complimentary upgrades when flying Delta. It's just one of the many WorldPerks advantages you'll enjoy as we work to combine our programs in a smooth and seamless manner, while providing the exceptional service you know and expect.

As always, our #1 priority is to get you to your destination safely, on time and with world-class customer service. Please visit nwa.com for more merger information.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and support.

Richard Anderson
Chief Executive Officer - Delta Air Lines

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 836
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if they're considering making Detroit some kind of superhub and will hire an additional 35,000 to off-set the GM/Chrysler merger.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3270
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.salon.com/opinion/k eillor/2008/04/16/northwest/

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3820
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always fly Southwest. Ray1936 is loyal to Southwest.

So there.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest and AirTran for me.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The government rolls over again for another merger.
When is the last time they actually turned one down?
This just means more jobs will be lost here in the Detroit area.
I wonder how the airport will be affected by this.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3859
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, let me get this straight...

-Detroit was the 2nd largest hub for Northwest Airlines.

-Detroit will be the 2nd largest hub for Delta Airlines.

I don't see the problem. It seems nothing's changing here but the signage.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Atlanta hub is by far the WORST terminal I have ever experienced!! We barely caught our flight with a 1.5 hour layover - the whole time was going up,down,in and out of that M.C. Escher nightmare..."

Don't know what was so confusing to you about Hartsfield. You arrive at your gate and get on the train for the 30 second ride to each Concourse A, B, C, D, or T. Then you go up the escalator, look at the signs and you're at your next gate. Hell, with an hour and a half layover you can have dinner and drinks in the Concourse of your choice.

On the other hand, we just flew into the new North Terminal and while very nice the signage sucks. All matters of opinion I guess.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peep Delta!

http://www.jayssite.com/audio/ delta.html

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 665
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now every 30 seconds i,ll hear Delta fly over my house or work, not NorthWest.Are they still planning on expanding Metro by the southeast corner?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9142
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a sentimental note, the Northwest name has been around for nearly 80 some years.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit took Ford and GM from Atlanta and Atlanta just got Northwest from Detroit.

Is that a fair deal?

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and even if you are going to Heaven (or Hell) you must first change planes in Atlanta!!!

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2734
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have flown them all numerous times over the years, and Northwest was always one of the best. Delta, USAir, American, Southwest were some of the worst flights I ever had.

I was on a Delta flight that had an engine fall off the plane during flight. Talk about think it was all over.

I was on southwest flight that was shaking apart, the moldings, lights, everything was popping off during takeoff. It felt like the cabin was shaken side to side almost like an EarthQuake.

Folk313
Username: Folk313

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm a northwest man even though the airline has corroded incrementally since the mid-90s. when i was a child it was a superior airline, and i was proud to fly northwest and not those monstrous southern airlines packed full of fat vacationers.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got plenty of chubs around here too.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'monstrous southern airlines packed full of fat vacationers."

Who come from other parts of the country since they "have to change flights in Atlanta". :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7436
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ok, let me get this straight...

-Detroit was the 2nd largest hub for Northwest Airlines.

-Detroit will be the 2nd largest hub for Delta Airlines.

I don't see the problem. It seems nothing's changing here but the signage.

Detroitrise, you got everything right except the fact that Detroit was Northwest's largest hub (with Minneapolis 2nd).

And yes, I don't see a loss of jobs out of Metro Detroit either. We weren't the Northwest HQ (Minneapolis was), so cutting of HQ staff won't affect Detroit.

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise and Gistok: either you've never been through a corporate merger or your memories of it are sketchy. I've experienced it first hand several times. STEP 1: a memo will be issued to employees of both companies ensuring them that "nothing will change". STEP 2: things will start to change.

More often than not, jobs are cut across the board--not just at the HQ or executive level. That's the purpose of the merger--combined economies of scale. The logistics of the merged routes will change, duplicate flights eliminated and various aircraft swapped out & sold and aircraft/ground staffing tweaked. A typical example would be the respective airlines' "Executive Club". Will Delta fully staff two after the merger? Doubtful.

Particularly in terms of jobs, 2+2=3 when companies merge. Anyone who think any particular city is immune is living in denial.
As the old saying goes: "prepare for the worst, and hope for the best"

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7438
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying NO JOBS WILL BE LOST in Michigan, but with the exception of a few duplicate flights between Detroit and Atlanta (and those handful of Executive Club workers), with Atlanta and Detroit being so far apart, I doubt that many other routes will be cancelled.

I'm sure that the job loss in Michigan will pale with those cut in Minneapolis and Atlanta.

Animalparade
Username: Animalparade

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Air Tranny for me all the way.

Kahnman
Username: Kahnman

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Animal, I thought that was a late night PPV movie...

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3178
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minneapolis will definitely see a huge job loss.

Detroit? Not so much. Delta likes the Detroit hub location and quality.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8002
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep -- months ago the ceo of delta said Detroit woould be one of their main foci

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.