Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Channel 4 WDIV ripping off detroitblog.org « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3375
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the original detroitblog article,

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p= 549

Here is the article as it was written for metroTimes:

http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/story.asp?id=13257

They are running teasers for it on morning news right now, the story will appear tonight on the 11 pm news.

Now, if I had a billion dollars I would bet it on the fact that nobody at WDIV was exploring the City deep enough to come upon the gentleman naturally; the way we know detroitblog rolls.

Do you think they will give credit to the Metro Times and to the author of the story they are running: "john" at detroitblog.org ?

Now THAT I would NOT bet on.

-> and so long as we are on the topic, what does everybody think of the new detroitblog design ?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7971
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, they are ripping off the Metro Times, as that is where the article originated. it isn't at all unusual for TV news to keep an eye on other media and then create their own story. It's an interesting one, and I don't really have a problem with it reaching a broader audience

Mauser765

Post Number: 3376
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"actually", they are ripping off the author who wrote the article that does appear in Metro Times which I did mention should also be sourced.

and yes, it isnt unusual for local television and newspapers to rip stuff off without sourcing the work.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSM (Mainstream Media) rarely credits anything.

For instance, I think it's not cool when the NY Times sources or mentions a bunch of websites (at least they do that) where they get the info from - then does not link to them!

It's all about keeping the traffic and viewers on your site/property. What I wish they would learn is the facts - linking out actually INCREASES your visibility and reputation.

It's an ego thing. Few producers want people to say "first reported by..." if they can avoid it, and they probably thought that since it was from Detroitblog or MT not that many viewers would know.

Or, they cut the credits out of the story to fit time. Still bad.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2788
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the the news orgs surf the blogs looking for ideas.

MSNBC even admits they do it. Nothing wrong with it really, as long as they admit it.

Mauser765

Post Number: 3377
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This hasnt aired yet so they do still have the benefit of the doubt. But news agencies have a strong tendency not to cite competing agencies for story content.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 911
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That guy lives in my neighborhood. He is a cool dude. You should see his bike. It is cool seeing him in the rain with the hood on it and radio blasting.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radio shows in the morning take stuff directly out of the newspapers all the time. They don't have to pay their news staffs much as a result. Someone else has already done their work for them.

Mauser765

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a big huge company stealing from this guy that creates shit just for the informational value and interest.

just lame, no matter how it is justified.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 618
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should get an attorney. Yet another reason 21st Century American journalism sucks.

Mauser765

Post Number: 3379
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure that is actionable, but I find it completely unethical. it reveals their vast lack of skill and creativity.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once stuff is out there, it is public property.

Mauser765

Post Number: 3380
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Once stuff is out there, it is public property."

B U L L L L L L L L L L S H I T !

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3102
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, this is no where near actionable or even unethical. It's a news story. Just like the other outlets picked up the Kwame text stories after the freep broke it. The other reporters can do there own research and post their own results.

If Detroitblog wanted an exclusive he should have paid the subject of the story for an exclusive. That would have stopped the subject from talking to other reporters.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is NOT public property, Daddeo. You may think it is because it's available, but it's legally NOT.

Copyright, the DMCA - there are many protections for various content creators.

Although many young folks tend not to know the law, the law is strong and it is enforced (sometimes a little too harshly, admittedly, say around music file swapping - the penalty shouldn't be 10k a song or whatever) but it is.

If you're working on a production - better get rights-cleared music and be prepared to pay licensing for it. Also, you can't just use any old photos for your blog or website you find on Google images - you need to take them yourself or get permission in one form or another (stock photo service, directly from the photographer, etc).

Detroitblog should either do a Copyright mark or embrace a Creative Commons license of some form on every page (such as sharealike or attribute). It would be very advisable for them to stick in the footer, depending on how they want their content to be shared.

Now, news organizations rip each other off all the time. There is something called "Fair use," which SHOULD be protected for news, public good and educational purposes. However, you need to cite your sources even then.

They have the right to cover a story that others covered, but they need to cite. I'd actually like to see the transcript and see how much was lifted directly, if any.

The big problem here, IMHO, is that they did NOT cite their sources.

Mauser765

Post Number: 3384
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ndavies, the (semi) sober voice of reason per usual. its still lame ass bs in my book. again, agency to agency is different than "reporters" trolling blogs and forums instead of doing your own damn homework.

and yes of course that is only my opinion.

Mauser765

Post Number: 3393
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well anyway - i think that new header panorama is one of the most unique angles of the City anyone has come up with in ages. stunning

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.