Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Inca Cola? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm told that somewhere in soutwestD you can find the South American soda pop 'Inca Cola'.

I checked Honeybee today, no dice.

Anyone know where I can find it?

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd check out Mexicantown Bakery (on Vernor), some of the supermarkets on Vernor or some of the smaller party stores.

do you like Inca Cola? it tasted like lollypops to me! LOL

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if you don't find it there's always Galco's in Highland Park-no, not THAT Highland Park;
http://www.sodapopstop.com/pro ducts/detail.cfm?link=269

Mastermsu
Username: Mastermsu

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MY FAV... its a Peruvian drink that is entirely owned by coca cola.. made with bananas and other flavorings..

its sold everywhere in the south, especially in Miami and Texas..

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could have sworn I posted to this thread earlier...weird. Anyway - I am positive I saw Inca Cola at Mexicantown Bakery last week. :-)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mexicantown Bakery often has all of the sodas in stock that are mentioned on Flyingj's link. It's a good place to break out of the CocaCola/PepsiCola duopoly.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7957
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is also someplace on Grand Blvd that sells Jamaican Ting & Champagne Cola. been there, can't remember for the life of me where it is

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometime within the last year I've seen Inca Cola at the party store across the street from Xochimilco on Bagley.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could just sacrifice a prisoner or a small child on top of the neighborhood step-pyramid for a cold can of one right now!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 448
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's your first-born when you really need them?

Flyingj

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline, while we do have more cars AND Mexicans in L.A. to be sure(it's a great story about how Frida & Diego Rivera helped the the communist-leaning ones move back from Detroit with money from the "Industry" mural) Galco's is a fun place to walk thru. I was sent out to pick up "craft service" before a location shoot out here & came across Faygo 2 liters in a WeHo liquor store . I bought a TON of it, completely stoked...well we got on location & everybody who wasn't a Detroit-born Faygo fan(i.e.; me) HATED it(this was before ICP broke)they wondered aloud who could choke that crap down. We wound up dumping the redpop on talent for a bit... Good times.

My mom used to pick this stuff up from Great Scott!, I remember it as being good;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-TI CO-COLA-Flavor-Soda-Pop-CAN-SS _W0QQitemZ110300878648QQcmdZVi ewItem#ebayphotohosting

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Africola is sold in Europe. It's ok... In France, I had a cola/coffe mix made by Coke. I forget the name, but it was actually damn good.

Flyingj

Post Number: 342
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitduo, something like that was the 1st collaboration between Pepsi & Starbuck's they unsuccessfully test-marketed it out here; Mazagran-the "official drink of the French Foreign Legion". a.) it tasted lousy, like a bitter flat pop & b.) NOBODY wants to be like the FFL-don't they read "Croc"? Nifty bottle tho
http://community.seattletimes. nwsource.com/archive/?date=199 50828&slug=2138623

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found it. It is called Coca-Cola Blâk:

"It is a blend of unique Coke refreshment with the true essence of coffee, has a rich smooth texture and has a coffee-like froth when poured. We believe we have created a new category of soft drink – an adult product in a carbonated beverage – and a whole new drinking experience."

Actually, I think they did it right. Just enough coffee taste, not too sweet and good carbonation. While it tastes unique and good, I think I still prefer may Coke and Coffee separated and pure.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14770
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 5:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Jolt marketed a coffee-blended uber-caffeinated cola drink well before anyone else...it was shocking to the system at least.

I still miss Jolt...ALL the Sugar and TWICE the Caffeine. My second attempt at college wouldn't have been the same without it!

Cheers, soda lovers, revolt against this High Fructose Corn Syrup poisoning! Buy true sugared soda...other than the Faygo discussed here, I think all of it is sugar-sweetened! I would really love it if Faygo went with sugar for their limited glass-bottled heritage series sodas...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the same, I'm sure, but Jones Soda is a cane sugar product.

http://www.jonessoda.com/files /products-glass.php

Gannon, there are microbrewers of rootbeer that will create an eph's style rootbeer. let me know

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamaica has an AMAZING ginger-beer soda. Very very potent. The first time you take a sip you wince and wonder how its legal. Ive tried a few American ginger-beers here in the states and it all blows.

Anyone know where I can find that Jamaican brand?

I remember seeing Inca Cola in Peru, never tried it, as Cerveza Negras were so damn cheap thats all I drank. Brushed my teeth with it once or twice when we didnt have any bottled water available.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ginger beers in the USA are not alcoholic, and the one you're talking about can't be imported. There is a ginger wine you can pick up at Cost Plus warehouse which has a similar taste. It comes from England.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best ginger beer you can find here is Ginseng Up ginger beer...not to be confused with their ginger soda. There are a few Jamaican style ginger beers available in this area but they are pretty sugary and flat, in my opinion. You can find Ginseng Up at Goodwells and the Jamaican market on 6 Mile. Ginger People make a pretty good ginger beer, too, but the only place I've ever found that is Whole Foods. I was at Kroger's on Greenfield & Michigan Avenue last night and saw a bunch of Hansen's Cane Sodas. Huge variety.

Here's my favorite recipe for Ginger Beer. HOT! It turns out really good without the cloves and cinnamon also, if you just want pure ginger flavor.

1 pound fresh ginger
4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 pound potatoes
4 - 6 cloves
1 piece cinnamon
8 cups boiling water

Peel and crush ginger. Peel and chop potatoes in medium pieces. Put ginger, potatoes, clove, cinnamon and sugar in a large bottle or jar. Pour boiling water over. Stir, cover, and allow to brew for 2 - 4 days. Strain and bottle.

Mustangford
Username: Mustangford

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are ever in Atlanta be sure to go to the World of CocaCola, the last room you go through is the testing room. They have samples of every pop they make arround the world. Some were really good but some wern't. All I can say is stay away from Beverly! :0) It was quite bitter. Another good Pop I have found the Boylan bevreges, still in glass bottles.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitchef, I wasn't speaking of an alcoholic ginger beer. Might have sounded that way though. I just meant its a really strong pop. Gingery X 10. That Jamaican stuff would be a hit up here Id bet.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mexicantown Bakery came through! Myself and my Peruvian friend thank you Tkierpiec/Swingline!

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 417
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am surprised it would be sold in Mexicantown. Not many South Americans in Mexicantown, and Inca Cola is unknown in Mexico (or at least I have never heard or seen it during the past two years I have been here).

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroithabitater: You can definitely get Inca Cola at HoneyBee. I was just there two days ago, and they had it in 12 oz. cans and 2-liter bottles.

My new favorite South American beverage from HoneyBee is Guarana Antarctica (Brasil).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.