Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Hate in Ontario « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, just got back from the 1st ever Home Game for the ECHL's Ontario(Calif) Reign. I'm kinda thrown, the ECHL is now a big fat mash-up of 7(!) leagues;Central hl, WestCoast hl, Western Pro hl,Sunshine HL, Southern HL, Atlantic Coast HL and All-American HL, & a buncha half-dead teams out of the IHL hence ECHL, used
Frankly I thought the level of play was a LOT better in the IHL. The sub-Slapshot stuff (yet only one mediocre fight-& a feeder league to the AHL? Really?) bored the audience-which is deadly because these people are a half-hour down the freeway or trainride away the Ducks & Kings(who are the Reign affiliate). Anyway, before I lose you all, I don't think the Kings have any hardcore rivalry with the Red Wings...but the loudest boos of the night were for a perfectly decent middle-class family on the Jumbotron decked out in matching Red Wings jerseys. You'd think Osama was up there. Weird. Good goin' Barry Kemp on the free parking tho
http://www.pe.com/sports/hocke y/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_L ocal_W_reign_26.4745826.html

Flyingj

Post Number: 335
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me amend my post, Zatkoff, the goalie for the Reign was easily the best player they had on ice, of course he's a Kings prospect from you-know-where;
Jeff Zatkoff
Position: Goaltender...........Catches: Left
Height: 6'2''......................DOB : June 9, 1987 (Age 21)
Weight: 170.....................Born: Detroit, MI, United States
Acquired: Drafted 3rd round, 74th overall in 2006
Returning to: Ontario Reign, ECHL

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2767
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to Bush and his Henchmen, they have undid 200 years of solid relationships with our real allies.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe they are talking about Ontario, California. The last I heard California was still our ally.
Hope you are joking!!

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya got the NHL Major League
Ya got the AHL AAA

Then you have three league who claim status of AA.

The ECHL used to be the East Coast Hockey League, but since absorbing the West Coast Hockey League is no longer the East Coast Hockey League, but simply the ECHL. The letters don't stand for anything. Strange.

Other AA leagues are the Central Hockey League and the International Hockey League. The IHL was once based in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio etc, with slapshot style hockey. I think the league had its roots in Detroit and Windsor hence INTERNATIONAL.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh, to that opening post!

cb

Flyingj

Post Number: 336
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Mortalman there were a few girls who looked like that in attendance, come to think of it...your "Post Bar" casualties. I apologize to bring my hockey wonkery into a Detroit board, it's inexcusable I know-the Reign is rooted in the L.A. Long Beach/Ice Dogs of the IHL, which was a "bus league" founded in Detroit for "company teams" & has been resurrected in Rochester, MI as the new name for the old Colonial HL;;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U nited_Hockey_League
I thought the play in the I was a lot better, I had no idea that this Zatkoff guy's grandfather was a legendary U of M/Det Lions linebacker & his dad was an NBA Plenom outta Eastern Mich U, I'll bet this guy is gonna be sent up to the Kings;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J eff_Zatkoff
Anyway, for some reason this area seems to produce a lot of pro athletes-one of my brother's students was Tom Harmon's grandson...but I fear Mortalman posting more tongue fetish photos so I'll digress

I had no idea the "new" ECHL stands for "nothing". They had their Corporate HQ in an office building off 6th & Mountain in Ontario Cali for a year or so

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, he wasn't joking, Pkbroch. Pretty pathetic, isn't it?

Flyingj

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I told you guys this Detroit-born Zatkoff kid was good, he just got named the ECHL's Goalie Of The Week;
http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mp ublic.cgi?action=show_news2&ca t=1&id=16633

an interesting observation about the Wings-Kings bout(no, not the Ice Girls-hockey cheerleaders just aren't organic to the gameplay whatsoever)
http://laist.com/2008/10/28/re d_wings_burn_kings_in_shootout .php#comments
"in the top photo,there are so many red wing fans there, I thought the game was in Detroit, not at Staples"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.