Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » So when the economy turns around will Detroit be ahead. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 245
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone!, i would just like some input on this, so when/if our local-national-international economy does a 180 will Detroit be an ideal destination for out of staters or people out of the country to move here? Or is the city proper going to be what we all hope to be with so many suburbs that have downtowns or building them. I would like to know if Sister City relationships help out? I know there is a lot of cities around the world that Detroit should do it with.
Thanks for reading.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not until the schools get turned around, the taxes go down and crime is under control.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3570
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there will be a lot of government money put into nationwide infrastructure improvements over the next decade. This will be done as a way to stimulate our national economy.

It is imperative that Detroit leadership makes sure that the city is at the front of the line for any money the feds pass out for infrastructure projects. You want a transit system? This is your big chance. You want a high speed train between Detroit and Chicago (especially with a President Obama). This is your big chance Detroit! Don't blow it...

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The WPA will be reborn.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8957
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's sister city is Dubai. I fail to see how that has helped so far, considering Dubai is exploding with development and Detroit is just exploding.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8958
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Detroit's other big sister city is Toyota City, Japan.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing that could help Detroit would be fresh immigrants from other nations. Suburbanites aren't gentrifiers, immigrants are. It's only after the immigrants come in and stabilize a neighborhood that natives are willing to follow and "gentrify" the neighborhood.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to know if/when the city/metro area realizes that alternative energy is THE future, and (somebody correct me if i am wrong, seriously) we have the tools for it already for a boom to happen, none of us cannot imagine how the city will be but will it finally be on its way back atop over Chicago and SanFran or even Seattle? I hope we just need to realize our city can be the centre of the world for this type of industry that has not been taken full advantage of yet. But i think we need to open any types of immigrant group that decide to call Detroit or metro home.

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always thought that Michigan as a state could improve its economy by embracing nuclear power, which is a niche no other state has really filled. No other carbon-neutral energy source has as much potential as nuclear, and the nuclear power industry provides jobs that pay very well. It would certainly help Michigan shed its image of an industrial backwater by embracing such an advanced form of energy.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think nuclear power is VERY VERY unpopular with a majority of voters. sure it is "clean" and more efficient, but you are left with toxic waste and there is always some (if even marginal) risk of a meltdown...

try playing sim city 4 and see what happens when you plop down some nuclear plants. (the po folks move in)

interestingly, the makers of simcity 4 also agree with detroiters that free ways destroy cities.

W_chicago
Username: W_chicago

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit will be the center of the GREEN COLLAR ECONOMY!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.