Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » The Cadillac Hotel (the old one) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know anything about the Cadillac Hotel that was torn down to make way for the Book-Cadillac Hotel? Architect, year built?
Here's a postcard of it:
http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ Postcards/cadillac5.jpg

Tried searching for it online, but all I'm getting is Book-Cadillac hits.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a bit of info on it (and still other hotels that were there before it!) in an early '70s brochure put out by the Sheraton-Cadillac that I have a photocopy of, but can't find at the moment.

Ferry's "Buildings of Detroit" might have some info.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6343
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.forgottendetroit.co m/caddy/history.html

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, I cannot even remember who was responsible for these photos. I want to say that the website was, "Detroit, The Motorless City," circa 1999? Ultimately, I think they came from the Burton collection.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3752
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The interior shots remind me of the salons on the Titanic. Guess it's just the fashions of the period, though.

No, I wasn't on the Titanic. I mean photos of the salons on the Titanic. :-)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those photos are from the Detroit Publishing Co archive that is at the LOC

http://rs6.loc.gov/detroit/det home.html

There might be some more info at Google Books, like in the Farmer and Burton books that are available there.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on October 12, 2008)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kohrman's book points out that when the B-C opened, the Book family dined in the Venetian Dining Room, at the same spot where their table was at the old hotel's restaurant.

I wish I had the dates at hand readily, but there has been a hotel (open or not) at that corner for at least 200 years, IIRC.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7375
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't find any dates (except demo date) for the old Cadillac Hotel. By the looks of it, it appears to be an 1870's or 1880's construction.

The premier hotel in Detroit in the mid 1800's was the Russell House Hotel on Woodward where today the First National Building is located. The Russell House had as its' guests several US presidents, as well as England's Edward Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII, 1901-11).

Probably by the 1880's the Russell House lost its' premiere edge to the Cadillac Hotel, and was demolished around the turn of the century in favor of the short lived first Ponchartrain Hotel.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.