Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Ted Nugent « Previous Next »
Archive through October 10, 2008Mickeymac30 10-10-08  2:19 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's very plain what Hitler has to do with this. "Personality, humanity and creativity often have no relationship." Lowell was using him as an example of a decent artist and miserable human being.

He could have used someone like Frank Sinatra to illustrate the point also; Sinatra was a great singer and a thug of a human being.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 607
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure Ted would support my right to shoot him on sight.
So. Annoying.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How dare you insult Frank like that.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty 2: I believe he smacked a bandmate out in the parking lot at one gig, for smoking a joint with a girl in her car. Fact is: at that time, it was sometimes necessary to be rude and crude to others, in order to establish one's sobriety. The rule was no dope at gigs. Ted was the boss.
But I still think he should lighten up a bit, and get back to performing inspired music, which I haven't heard from him in a long time.
Just heard "Great White Buffalo". Good stuff!

Kenp

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wang tang sweet poontang isnt inspiring music?

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure he's up there with the dope-using guitar players, but for a sober, clear-thinking cat, he did reasonably well.

Zee Wango, Zee Tango.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 424
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it weren't for Ted's music, Manual Noriega would still be a ruling dictator down in Panama.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3070
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well yeah. If a row of green trucks pulled up in front of your house and set up speakers that blared "Wango Wango Wango Wango Tango Tango Tango Tango",
You'd be out in plain sight, hands raised, pretty fast.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can imagine the psych-ops meeting where they reviewed different songs they might use:
"Well, Minnie Ripperton would work well, but the windows of our vehicles may shatter at the end..So Nugent seems the best choice".

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a non-dope using, draft dodging guitar player, Ted has as much right as any American to spout his opinions. I like him much better than that Blo-no guy.

Disc jockeys up in Michigan's Northern regions use his anthem to Fred Bear as an opportunity to go to the rest room, much in the same way that the old WABX DJ's used "Ina Godda DaVida"

Back in Hamtown's punk hey-day, Phineus T. Hawk of the Incredible Mohawk Brothers challenged Ted to a one on one guitar duel. Ted said he was above that sort of thing. I still say, Phineus T.Hawk can still kick Ted's ass!

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't tell you what he sang/played if he put his gun to my head. I do remember him just being a shit to people and a Chicken. Hawk.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 610
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im bothered now by the post about Derreck St. Holmes.
All this time I thought the guy with the guitar on the cover of the albums was the man behind the music.
I had to look in no more than one rock book at home to confirm that not only was someone else singing some of the songs, but playing rhythm guitar as well! I feel cheated. At least it explains why the vocals on "Stranglehold" sound a bit too high-pitched to have been from the guy behind "Fred Bear." Because it wasn't! Im pretty sure that was him on "Cat Scratch Fever" though.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 683
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was once behind his vehicle at a stop light.
I waved.
He winked.
I swooned. ;-)

Oh, to be young again...

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 425
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ted sang on some tunes, such as Cat Scratch Fever, Motor City Madhouse, and the ill-forgotten Yank Me, Crank Me (the B-side to Cat Scratch). Derek St. Holmes did get properly credited on the albums (if I remember correctly), but Derek had his own ego issues which conflicted with the Alpha Nuge. Similar to the problems Alice Cooper experienced with Michael Bruce, and the original members of THAT band.

Psy-ops actually DID spend two or three days trying to determine which song to blare from speakers, non-stop, in order to get Manual Noriega to finally give himself up to the Spec Forces who were exhausted of their means (it was a very touchy situation, both politically and militarily), and the song chosen was Stranglehold.

And, by the by, Noriega was supposed to be a drug-trafficking kingpin. Is he dead, or is he still "imprisoned" in his 5 million dollar chateau, somewhere in Florida?

Kenp

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Derek St. Holmes and others were screwed over by Ted, but Ted was the boss and thats the ways it was.
Ggores, your comparison to Mike Bruce and that band was right on. What a waste of great talent.
However the fact that both acts still remain standing today says somthing about how they dealt with their career's.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 996
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to know if Ted was responsible for all the wild pigs running around Michigan now? Did he hunt wild boar? I know he wasn't alone in his interest in offing wild animals, but did he start the mess?

Bobl

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger: Swooned? As in a bobbysoxer swoon? LOL That's OK. I could tell you a story about Janis Joplin's greeting to me next to the stage at the Grande. I blushed.

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl, I once got a kiss and a hug from Wendy O. Williams. She then set my pants on fire. LOL.

Bobl

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S: Did you swoon, blush, or wet your pants?

(Message edited by Bobl on October 11, 2008)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5686
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy, how did she set your pants on fire? Do you mean that she gave you the crabs?

Foosie
Username: Foosie

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hitler was ... the worst human being ever.

I think Joseph Stalin might hold that title.

Bobl

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knows? Vlad The Impaler was not a warm and fuzzy one.
One thing most of these bad actors have in common is that they all could have been stopped if people had stood up to them early.
But we are getting off the subject now.......

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl and Patrick, I was too shocked to sprout wood! As of crabs, from my old hippie days I always carry a bottle of Quell for crotch crickets.

Patrick, were you one of the Incredible Mohawk Brothers? Or are you Killing Time in some blues band?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5688
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludge, neither. I pass time playing in an Albanian Whitesnake tribute band

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ted Nugent tells Obama and Hillary to suck on his machine gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =vy8RIiTyhMI

Freedom!

Bobl

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M: Amazing! You might call that freedom. I call that a bunch of childish hateful gibberish. The crowd was right out of a German beer hall in the 1930s. Sad and dangerous. Grow up, Ted!
Now I KNOW that I will vote for Obama.

Bobl

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FROM salon.com:
Oct. 7, 2008 | "My government is my worst enemy. I'm going to fight them with any means at hand."

This was former revolutionary terrorist Bill Ayers back in his old Weather Underground days, right? Imagine what Sarah Palin is going to do with this incendiary quote as she tears into Barack Obama this week.

Only one problem. The quote is from Joe Vogler, the raging anti-American who founded the Alaska Independence Party. Inconveniently for Palin, that's the very same secessionist party that her husband, Todd, belonged to for seven years and that she sent a shout-out to as Alaska governor earlier this year. ("Keep up the good work," Palin told AIP members. "And God bless you.")

Vogler's greatest moment of glory was to be his 1993 appearance before the United Nations to denounce United States "tyranny" before the entire world and to demand Alaska's freedom. The Alaska secessionist had persuaded the government of Iran to sponsor his anti-American harangue.

That's right ... Iran. The Islamic dictatorship. The taker of American hostages. The rogue nation that McCain and Palin have excoriated Obama for suggesting we diplomatically engage. That Iran.

--

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now I KNOW that I will vote for Obama.

cripes, a swing vote, whose choice was finalized because of a rant from ted nugent! bobl, if nugent retracts his remarks, would you be willing to reconsider your decision?

and, to think that i was making my choice based primarily upon military stance and energy policy.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2795
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'm developing a slight "man-crush" on Duke_sims. Another great, and deeply caustic, post.
The reason for Nugent's emphatic anti-drug stance-- if we can believe him, in the first place-- is that he is just (barely) smart enough to know that he doesn't have even so much as one brain cell to spare, so he simply cannot afford to mess with narcotics.
Personally, I think he is already operating under a deficit, in that department.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The reason for Nugent's emphatic anti-drug stance-- if we can believe him, in the first place-- is that he is just (barely) smart enough to know that he doesn't have even so much as one brain cell to spare, so he simply cannot afford to mess with narcotics.

c'mon now, ravine - are you saying that only smart people do drugs?

nugent may be operating in another dimension, but do you really think he's not smart? i mean, you can be deluded and hyperintelligent at the same time.

Ravine

Post Number: 2800
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon now, Thecarl-- that's not what I wrote, nor did I imply it.

Ravine

Post Number: 2801
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yes, I do really think that he's not smart.

Gosh. I feel so... charitable, putting it that way.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been a collector of rock and roll music in all formats for years, but for some reason I never owned a single 45, album, 8 track, cassette or CD of Nugent's music. I attended one concert of his annual New Year's Eve Whiplash Bash w/ SG Alice Cooper in '96.

I bought a promotional VHS video of his '88 Whiplash Bash concert, from a California-based mail-order record store in the early 90s, then sold it at auction for a nice profit a few years ago on eBay.

To each his own as far as politics, but I doubt if I would have attended that concert, had I known about his staunchly conservative political preference,in which he has recently become more publicly vocal about. I wasn't aware of it until the twilight of his career, and believe that he kept quiet about it in order to prevent alienating the more liberal-leaning of his fans.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3090
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liberal Leaning fan's loss
Glenn Beck's gain.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.