Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » City has $100 million deficit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you knew it was going to be bad but this smoke and mirrors act has been exposed. What else can go wrong in the city this year?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5323
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't ask

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 538
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's the link? I thought it was 300 million.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better to know the truth than to keep up the charade that Kwame had been playing for the last few years.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5325
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not much of a charade - the revenue from tunnel deal was to cover much of this

The problem was Kwame wasn't all that interested in finding efficiencies and cost savings because so many of the ones available would have hurt the friends and family plan.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 617
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder what Kwame and his posse were able to pocket off the city over the years?

Between everything that has been spent, and everything else that remains, I wonder how much it would all add up to. Tis a shame that we will never ever know the true number.

Maybe if the FEDS get their a$$e$ in gear we could get a hint of the scope of the corruption and mishandling of money. But man o man, this FED probe has been stewing for a little too long. Maybe they felt that Kwame out of office and behind bars was good enough. Or that the Financial crisis has taken them away from their efforts here in Detroit. Whatever the case, there is still a lot of things to be healed.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/article/20081 008/NEWS01/81008049

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2482
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The school is in debt 300M plus, is this included in the city deficit?
Don't ask is right, you don't want to know.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6328
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, school districts are separate legal entities.

I'm surprised no one is ripping Cockrel for staying the course on the tunnel sell.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the schools have a $400M deficit according to the NY Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09 /28/us/28detroit.html

Daddeeo

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh. the humanity!
The shell game is over now.
Rough times are going to get rougher.

Novine

Post Number: 789
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm surprised no one is ripping Cockrel for staying the course on the tunnel sell."

Because he's not suggesting that now. Instead, the city would retain ownership but let Windsor keep the revenues for a set period of time. I can't say whether this is a good idea or not but whatever they do, it's not going to be pretty.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6588
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City deficit could soar to $150M
quote:

A week into his new job, the city's finance chief says Detroit faces a deficit of up to $150 million and predicts he'd do a "good job" if he finds ways to cut it by $20 million by next summer.

Novine

Post Number: 791
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harris has been calling "bull" on the budget numbers for years so I doubt he's surprised by what he's finding. If anyone can root out waste in Detroit, he's the one who can.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's one of the few shining lights in an ugly situation. Hope they can find a few others with integrity.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK wanted suburban tax dollars to bail out DDOT under the corrupt DARTA agreement.

How will the new major create mass transit like he says he will do?

Will he too want the suburanites to pay a tax on fast food?

Or, will he fill up the buses like I did in Livonia to get more fare box money?

I want to challenge him to a public debate on how to manage our public bus systems.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least he is open about his dealings.

Out of curiosity, what are fare intakes in mass transit versus the expenses overall?

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2919
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm surprised no one is ripping Cockrel for staying the course on the tunnel sell.

I've ripped Mayor Cockrel for that on my blog. Of course, my influence is somewhat minimal.

But at least we can't say that no one isn't taking him to task for his stupidity.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Will he too want the suburanites to pay a tax on fast food?"

We've been doing that for years except it's on all restaurants. Goes to parks and recreation most of us do not use. 6% state plus 2% restaurant tax

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7817
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was $300 million, now its $100 Million and that's a good thing. The city council must have made some deep cuts in most city services including the Windsor Tunnel proposal. Now the city council have to do is keep that deficit numbers down to pennies and Detroit will be back on track. This is a way to prevent receivership which is EVIL!

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 799
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid0167,

Thanks for the response.

There is what we call Michigan Tax Reform and part of this is the NEW County sales tax and our County Road Commissions and Transit Authorities both claim that they are under funded and that taxes collected from fuels and property are no longer enough to fix the roads and buses.

Thus, the promise of lower property taxes, good roads, regional rail and bus service and more jobs because businesses that relocate will not put up with bad roads and no or poor mass transit.

The work on the state constitution change to allow this is very serious by the special interests groups. If you go to the meetings like I did, you would be well informed. Those who support this want your vote, which is likely why you don’t hear from them. These people will not talk but I know who they are and they have big signs all over the place thus will likely get elected. So, Rid-167, these new tax proposals and increases are coming despite my posts on DetroitYes.

The transit and road groups work together. For example, if you give me this then I'll give you this. But, don't you think other special interest groups such as education will have their hands out? In the past they have and they will again.

The problem I have with the changing of the state constitution is the elimination of Act 51 which mandates ten percent of the state fuel tax for mass transit. Thus I want written accords to protect existing funding first before our laws are changed. There is no excuse for more public bus service reductions in the city of Detroit and inner suburbs, such as Livonia in my opinion.

That’s what my website is all about.

I care about you and the taxpayers. So, please support my efforts to become a city council member in Livonia and I promise that I will listen to the taxpayers and get our city to help out with the needs of our region as a whole. I have the knowledge and experience and the compassion to do this.

Again, thanks for your interest in my post Rid0167

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But plenty of cash to fund two elections in two years. I am reminded of the former mayor, giving an interview to a local radio station, proudly stating that the 2006 budget was soon to be completed.....in 2008!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.