Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What IS it about walking in the road and not on the sidewalk!!?? « Previous Next »
Archive through October 06, 2008Detroitnerd30 10-06-08  9:22 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 953
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No it has nothing to do with entitlement.
Duke is right, its a way to have a little sliver of power. They have nothing, so in that moment they're actually somewhat in charge, people are sorta at their whim. This has everything to do with power and lack of it. The same holds true for people being rude to the waitstaff. For 45min they're actually in charge of something. When they go home its back to begging for handouts and for 'assistance.'

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on the gnarly corner of Second and Alexandrine. When I walk home from school at night, especially as I near my icky corner, I walk in the street. You can see attackers better from the street, and residents can see *me* better from their apartment windows if I am in the street. As backwards as it sounds, it's a safety thing.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supposedly people would walk in the street during the winter because the cars made a path and you didn't have to worry about trudging through the snow in front sidewalks of vacant lots that weren't shovelled or plowed.

Could this current trend of walking in the street just be a continuation of the winter walking experience? I'm not sure. I get the sense that if the police were ticketing people for walking in the street then folks would stop doing it.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristina....gnarly corner? " Gnarly" is a southern California surfer's term. Do you mean to say that the bums on Second and Alexandrine have taken up skateboarding and have went from side walk surfing to boarding in the street?

Totally Rad!!!!!

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, Creepshow. Thanks for the ride lady, thanks for the ride!!

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lube Job

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toro!!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZOZ2M attP8

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 412
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My inclination to walk in the street stems from down south, on those old back-roads, where there ARE no sidewalks. I can see now, after reviewing the comments here, that there is a negative connotation. Yes, these people in the neighborhoods that walk in the street are like geese, or cattle. This type of "street walking" is just an attempt to create a confrontational situation. Now, the trick to getting past a thicket of punk-asse's like this is to not slow down. This is not to say that you speed up and try to trump 'em, but just keep on chuckin' along - if one wants to blockade, then they will catch a piece of bumper in they ass. I think of walking in the middle of a street just as walking in a field of wheat and barley.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a complicated question with a lot of elements...some of which are alluded to above. Another aspect that is more inherent in the physicality of the environment is the fact that IMHO sidewalks in many Detroit neighborhoods are not really well suited for more than one person anyway.

Two people walking astride tend to push each other to the edge of the cement. In other cities, the paved area often includes the planting area that in Detroit is generally greened over. I don't have a problem with planting trees in this strip (or having other plantings), but I don't understand why the walkway wasn't planned to be a little wider. It's too bad.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In SW Detroit, two kinds of people walk in the street. If they are women, I know they are prostitutes. Sometimes a girl will walk in the street in the dark on her way to school - but not very often. Usually only prostitutes. Very often its two people: a beat up white woman and a Black man. That kind of couple always walks in the street.

Also, crowds of kids walk in the street -this is a gang and proto-gang thing. Best thing to do is back up or turn around in a driveway (not many of those)and go to another street, if possible. Otherwise, the kids will walk slowly and make sure you know who's boss. There's lots of other streets in Detroit. No need to make your blood pressure go up.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the proper etiquette for walking on a 2-lane country road?
Awhile back,I was going through Romulus.I was on a very desolate stretch of Beverly Rd. and came up to about 8 teens walking in the street. Only when I got about 50 feet behind them did they acknowledge my quickly approaching vehicle.They made no attemp to reconfigure (IE cluster closer, move off the road, etc)so I swerved and pulled around them.
There were NO houses nearby. They were taking up 1/2 a lane on a 2-lane road. Was I selfish in expecting them to walk 5-10 feet off the road on uninhabited vacant land, or were they just trying to throw their weight around. I personally think walking on the grass would be SAFER anyway.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always figured it had to do with the no snow shovelling in the winter myself, just carried over into other seasons. Its bugged me for decades now. The slow folks that walk in front of cars is cuz they are young and a little foolish. You never see adults do it. Trying to get a rise. I won't satisfy them.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The answer to the poster's question is that they are retarded.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 934
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having grown up in Detroit, I can tell you that... (pardon me, ladies)....no self-respecting dude wants to ride-or-walk the "bitch spot".

When walking with your boys, the only way to avoid being the bitch is to walk in the street - where three or more dudes can walk beside/abreast one another.

Sincerely,

Chuckjav

Snoringbeagle
Username: Snoringbeagle

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember this seems to have started after the riots.

Junior high and high school kids would travel in packs and dare you to drive through 'em.
Sidewalks were a trip too.

For the streets we would oblige them by revving up the 383, pop the clutch and light up the tires. For the sidewalk belts with large heavy belt buckles swung hard over your heads would clear the way nicely.

Couldn't do much for the finger gestures and the lip you got in return, exceptin for hand to hand combat. Oh those were the days my friend!

(Message edited by snoringbeagle on October 09, 2008)

English
Username: English

Post Number: 835
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, if I had a dollar for all the generalizations on this thread... O_O

People don't walk in the middle of EVERY street. No one walks in the middle of the street in my neighborhood on the near West side. I grew up on a bus line that was a secondary thoroughfare. If you walked in the street, you'd get mowed over. So everyone from crackheads to regular working folks used the sidewalks.

As for all the racism and classism on this thread, riddle me this: if it's all about poor Black folks, can you PLEASE explain to me Ann Arbor, mostly white folks on foot AND bicycle??? Pedestrian obstructions in Detroit were nowhere NEAR as annoying! And people will bike in the middle of the street AND jaywalk MILES away from campus!!!

(Occasionally, a pedestrian or cyclist will get hit. You see EMS, gawkers, etc...)

SMH @ people's -isms blinding them to the fact that asshattery is asshattery, regardless of skin color or wallet status. But hey, that's to be expected around "these here parts!" :-)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3308
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, how does your theory apply to Harper Woods, which is almost completely sidwalked, with nobody jumping from bushes or whatever.

ill go with the territorial pissings theory.

And people walk right into traffic like its not there - like goddamned zombies.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 943
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765....I will second your comment.
Every ding-dong time I drive in/around the neighborhoods surrounding Denby HS - look out!

Also.........

Sweet Mother of Moses - don't ever assume that a red light, stop -or- yield sign means something/anything to opposing traffic.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3313
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

look all four ways twice, even on a one way street - lol

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 926
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think crossing at lights is any safer for a pedestrian than crossing where it's convenient to cross. Right- and left-turning traffic is eliminated from the equation if you cross between intersections, and I know I've been almost nailed more than once by someone whipping around a corner and not paying attention. Except in extremely heavy traffic, I don't see why I should go out of my way to cross at a light. That is a stupid law.
Walking in the street, I don't so much understand, but I don't get why jaywalking is lumped in with walking in the street. When I jaywalk, I don't block traffic, and if I did, who cares? So maybe you have to slow down for three seconds before nailing the gas again. You're in the city. It happens. Get over it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7371
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...can you PLEASE explain to me Ann Arbor, mostly white folks on foot AND bicycle??? Pedestrian obstructions in Detroit were nowhere NEAR as annoying! And people will bike in the middle of the street AND jaywalk MILES away from campus!!

Last time I checked they have bike lanes in Ann Arbor. And if you get miles away from campus... you're out in the country where there are no sidewalks.

I worked for 4 years in Ann Arbor, and yes people do walk in the street... to cross them. But they don't just walk IN the street like they do in Detroit... otherwise in Ann Arbor you'll end up as someone elses hood ornament!

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3066
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Has anyone noticed the simultaneous phenomenon of walking in the streets and roadside memorials?"

Yes, being in the hood and being on it are really different.

Florida is like that a lot though. Lack of sidewalks mostly.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thing is in nashville, the only sidewalks are in the older neighborhoods in the city. the majority of the subdivisions don't have sidewalks, so everyone is in the street.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 928
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the majority of the subdivisions don't have sidewalks

They were designed like that for a reason--you're supposed to buy a car if you move there. Going to work? Get in your car. Going to the grocery store at the end of the street? Get in your car. Going to the park in the next block? Get in your car. Going to visit your next-door neighbor? You know what to do. Isn't suburbia great?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 5009
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too many cars on the sidewalks, anyway....

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive through Harper Woods most days of the week and never see anyone walking in the street.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 666
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting posting, I was driving down Woodward downtown to new center, and I was dodging people all the way up, totally weird, and then half of them stare you down like "dont you dare hit me".. Strange, very strange,, wish the cops would straighten them out, or somebody, its very annoying.

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well in my neighborhood the kids do walk in the streets but at night, in the summer, they usually run through the streets or on the sidewalks. We usually get over 200 birds in our trees and no one wants to get hit in the head by bird poop.

For the past 4 years we have been trying to get the city to cut the tree down because the roots have gone to our house and it already knocked down our porch once, which we paid for, and we are afraid they will get into the water pipes or go through our basement.

We have told the kids to walk on our grass because we don't mind and we know they don't want any poop in their hair or clothes.

Snoringbeagle
Username: Snoringbeagle

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faygoredpop...

Ha Ha, That reminds me of a poem.

Birdie Birdie
in the sky.
Why'd you do that
in my eye?
I'm not going to
pout or cry.
I'm just glad that
Cows don't fly!

Thanks Faygoredpop for the opportunity to be silly.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 284
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" see this in Detroit a lot, especially on Woodward"

So you seen someone walking down the middle of a state road and wouldnt move? Did traffic come to a halt? Your intentions with this post are soooooo transparent.....can you be a little more creative?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.