Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Tiger's Stadium Conservancy - NEEDS OUR HELP « Previous Next »
Archive through October 07, 2008Huggybear30 10-07-08  9:43 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 803
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You gotta like Martha Reeves' logic for the extension, "the city routinely pays out much more in lawsuits than it could cost to bring the demolition crews back."

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that was funny too, (Reeve's reasoning) but at least she called the shot I wanted...

Also, i'm not involved with the conservancy, my dad is.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy and the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation have reached agreement on a Memorandum of Understanding that will ultimately transfer title to the stadium to the Conservancy and grant a long-term lease of the playing field. We want our supporters to know that we are encouraged by this development and are continuing to pursue our goals of preserving and redeveloping the historic Navin Field grandstand and upper deck, restoring the playing grounds as a first-class youth baseball facility and revitalizing Corktown, Detroit's oldest neighborhood.

The Detroit City Council voted Tuesday to reject the DEGC's recommendation for complete demolition, allowing our group a brief
extension Through the generosity of hundreds of Tiger Stadium
supporters, we have raised approximately $170,000 to date. However, we still need to raise another $50,000 to provide for six months of onsite security while we put our long-term financing in place. Our $15M project plan expects to receive $4 million via a federal earmark and more than $6 million in historic preservation and economic stimulus tax credits.

The Conservancy is fighting hard to save historic Tiger Stadium, but we need your help. We're asking supporters to visit our Web site at www.savetigerstadium.org and donate whatever they can afford this week.

Note that, as stated on our Web site, donations will not be refunded in the event that the Conservancy's plan does not receive approval by the City of Detroit. The Conservancy expects to utilize all donations in the fight to save Tiger Stadium, and any unspent donations will be directed to a non-profit organization that is harmonious with the OTSC's mission.

The Conservancy is a registered Michigan non-profit corporation and has been accorded 501(c)3 status by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, all donations made to the OTSC, including those made earlier in 2008, are eligible to be deducted as a charitable contribution on your 2008 tax returns.

Thank you in advance for your generous donation in support of Tiger Stadium.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 682
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But the bottom line, for Higgs and the other gloom-and-doomers: The Conservancy has a plan for a creative re-use of the stadium and the field--please go read it. The city has no plan other than demolition. If you think adding one more empty lot to Michigan avenue will spur development on the other empty lots, you are really out to lunch.

Demolition is a plan. It is a decision. Up until now, there has been no plan at all....demo or lofts...or park and museum...or shopping center...or maybe the new red wings stadium. Now we know. Will that spur development now? Probably not. look at the economy and the situation everyone is in with regard to financing such projects. BUT, could somethign have been spurred 10 years ago if a)demo happened immediately or b) alternative plans were made?

quote:

we have raised approximately $170,000 to date. However, we still need to raise another $50,000 to provide for six months of onsite security while we put our long-term financing in place. Our $15M project plan expects to receive $4 million via a federal earmark and more than $6 million in historic preservation and economic stimulus tax credits.

I'm not knocking the work these people are doing, I'm just saying that there is what we wish and reality. Hoping for $15million bucks to appear from donations, FEDERAL EARMARKS!?!, and tax credit in today's reality is not a plan...its a pipe dream.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hoping the conservancy's plan is successful, and I donated, but I'm wondering if there is a compromise Plan B available if they don't manage to come up with the $15 million. A reasonable Plan B in my opinion would be to simply fence off and preserve the baseball field as a park. Maybe with a tiny remnant of the stadium left to act as bleachers, maybe not. Then sell off the surrounding lots to private developers, perhaps with deed restrictions which would make any development sympathetic to the field and the history of the site.

Such a Plan B would cost a heckuva lot less than $15 million. And it would still be vastly preferable to selling off the entire site to a private developer to clear out and build a big box store, strip mall or other moronic idea.

Beech_cricker
Username: Beech_cricker

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the event these pix haven't already been posted here (I'm new), they are aerial views of the Stadium through Sept. 20:

http://www.aerialpics.com/G/Ti gerStadiumDemo.html

Jeff

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a WWJ article, photo and interview with the Conservancy's Thom Linn:

http://www.wwj.com/pages/30955 75.php?

Jeff

Andylinn

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that those images are by the forum's own flybydon. Cool selection, Beech_cricker.

I am going to donate tomorrow, everyone donate with me. If I only make about 15k a year and am able to donate $50, nobody has an excuse!

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that they have raised a substantial amount of money and are really close to what they need for the first phase! I'm with you Andy - I'm going to donate today, too.

Birdie

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I just noticed that Drm posted the figures, above. They are getting close to reaching the goal!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3384
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want a website with a picture of Mike Ilitch. Every time a donation is made, the picture of Ilitch should look angrier and angrier. :-)

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd,

Great post about the Ilitch pic. Add George Jackson's to the mix and you'll have it, LOL!

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see you found your way here, Beech_cricker. Welcome!

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let it go. It's over. This stadium took it's last breath the night of September 27,1999. I want to remember TS the way it was the night of the final game - not when it was partially repainted for *61; not when it was left to rot, not when people were breaking in to the place; and not as an abandoned "Navin Field" era section of the stadium.

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they can't find investors for the museum, I don't see why they don't just tear down the grandstand and make it a city park, where families could play ball on the same field where Cobb and Ruth once roamed.

Keep the diamond; put up a chain link fence. Mow the grass once a week and pick up any debris that gathers. That wouldn't be difficult at all, would it?

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An interview by Doug Sokolowski with OTSC Board Member Gary Gillette can be found here:

http://www.preservetigerstadiu m.com/news.htm

It is currently at the top of the news items at this link. The interview is about 14 1/2 minutes long.

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Jmarx!

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If everyone lurking here throws in 20, 30, 40 bucks -- one tank of gas, it is a done deal. You can save Detroit's history.

And today it's a safer investment than Wall Street.

I did it so can you.

Ante up here:

http://www.savetigerstadium.or g/

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5081
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Gianni and the others. I donated a few months back. Let's make this happen!

Andylinn

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BRAVO GIANNI and LOWELL! WE CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN! GREAT WORK!

Birdie

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just donated online too!

Andylinn

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me too!

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 398
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A big THANK YOU to all of you have donated to the OTSC.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So any word on today's deadline funding?

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word on the street is that the OTSC's funding gap is all of $3,000. If you can help in any way or, if you have already donated and think you can spare a few more dollars, please do so.

Here is the link:

www.savetigerstadium.org

Jeff

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7370
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After looking at Flybydon's awesome pics of the gradual demolition of the remainder of the stadium, I am reminded of how awkwardly placed are the parcels that are available for other development... a small corner at Michigan Ave., and a larger U shaped parcel at the Fisher Freeway side of the site. The ballfield takes up the center of the property. There's more space available in nearby blocks than in all of the TS block.

I'm not saying that's bad, but it would preclude any big box stores or large scale development (except for residential, which could be tailored into remaining spaces).

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I donated a decent amount a few months ago, time for others to "step up to the plate".

Birdie

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any news about this?

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES!!!!!!!

See:

http://savetigerstadium.wordpr ess.com/

Birdie

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yay!!!!!!
this is great news!

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Savetigerstadium

"Due to some last-minute heroic donors, it actually looks like we’ve pulled off raising $219,000 to meet our first fiscal obligation to the city. More details to come, but for now, many thanks to our supporters through this long and arduous road to saving an important part of baseball and Detroit history."

This is GREAT news but it wasn't just due to last minute heroics but all of us who gave large and small to get to this point.

I'm looking forward to seeing this move forward and will be in Detroit the weekend of the Book Cadillac grand opening to go by The corner and take some pixs!

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should all team up and knock the rest of the stadium down. It's over people. Finally something in this city thats been abandoned is getting torn down and we want to stop it. Really?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We should all team up and knock the rest of the stadium down. It's over people. Finally something in this city thats been abandoned is getting torn down and we want to stop it. Really?"

Yes. Really. Jerry, do you live in Detroit? Cuz if you don't, let me tell you, as a Detroiter the LAST thing I want is another ugly, empty, overgrown lot littered with chip bags and broken liquor bottles.

There is no plan to use the land for anything, so WHY NOT?

Andylinn

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry, hundreds and hundreds of homes are knocked down in Detroit every year. I think we have to disagree on demolition / preservation here... Take a stroll through Brush park. Which buildings are more attractive, the new construction or the restored homes? Watch Beverly Hills Cop, see what the neighborhood looked like when it was more densely filled with beautiful homes. Even though they were / are run down, the prospects that these buildings held/hold far outweigh what anyone can afford to build today, especially in Detroit.

As someone who is seriously contemplating buying a home in Corktown in the next couple of years after I finish planning school, the neighborhood would be ALOT more attractive with a museum and new condos than a vacant lot on michigan and trumbull. Even having the PROSPECT of such a development is better than a vacant lot. It should be a neighborhood choice, and the Corktown Neighborhood Development Corporation, a STELLAR on the ball organization, seems to back up the Conservancy's plan.

Let them have their go at it. It is rare that people donate their time, attempt to bring in outside dollars, both private and FEDERAL, to upgrade city land... Why wish them ill?

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand what your saying, and I agree that certain structures should be saved, but Detroit has so many old buildings that just sit empty. They need to be torn down. Look at New York. Yankees stadium will be leveled before next season starts.

Andylinn

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valid point Jerry, although unfortunately I just don't think Detroit (unlike NYC) has the property values to warrant new development. :-( If someone wanted to build something in Corktown, there are 10 or 20 parking lots that were constructed for use by Tigers fans.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Message edited by rickinatlanta on October 12, 2008)

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerrytimes,

Regarding Yankee Stadium...the "old" stadium must be torn down per an agreement to build the new one as a means of replacing the park space lost on the new stadium site. That is not the case with Tiger Stadium.

Moreover, the plan is NOT to have Tiger Stadium sit empty. It is to be developed, i.e. something positive. Detroit cannot possibly be transformed into a great, vibrant city once again simply by flicking a switch...it is going to have to be done one project at a time--like Tiger Stadium.

(Message edited by Beech_cricker on October 12, 2008)

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry that's exactly the attitude that has taken away a lot of Detroit history! With your mindset the Book Cadillac would be a vacant lot today instead of a new jewell for downtown.

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Rod Nelson
October 12, 2008 313.285.9922

Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy Achieves Milestone, Schedules Press Conference

DETROIT – The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy on Friday executed the critical first step to fulfill its requirements with the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation in order to preserve the most historic portion of the cherished landmark at "The Corner" of Michigan and Trumbull. The demolition phase of the project is now complete, leaving intact the original 1912 Navin Field grandstand and upper deck, which was added in 1923.

"This is an exciting time for the citizens of Detroit," said Conservancy Vice President Thom Linn. "It is a day for our supporters to celebrate and commit to redouble the effort to make this a historic preservation and redevelopment project a success. There's much more to do."

The Conservancy presented a $69,000 check to the City of Detroit, funds which provide for six months of security at the ballpark site while the preservationists finalize financing arrangements for the $15 million project. A $150,000 escrow account has been established with the law firm of Miller Canfield that will ultimately lead to the transfer of the stadium's title and the granting of a long-term lease of the playing field to the Conservancy.

Project planners expect to receive $4 million in federal appropriations and more than $6 million in state and federal historic preservation and economic stimulus tax credits. The plan calls for the restoration of the historic playing grounds for use as a first-class amateur youth baseball facility, transforming the concourse into a baseball heritage center and converting a portion of the grandstand into a banquet facility. The project is seen as key to the revitalization of Corktown, Detroit's oldest neighborhood.

Over 600 donors nationwide contributed to the cause which represents an unprecedented opportunity for historians and ballpark enthusiasts to celebrate the preservation of one of the classic American baseball cathedrals.

A press conference with the Conservancy board and principal supporter U.S. Senator Carl Levin (D-Michigan) will is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Monday, October 13th in the offices of Miller Canfield at 150 W. Jefferson in Detroit.

The Conservancy is a registered Michigan non-profit corporation and has been accorded 501(c)3 status by the Internal Revenue Service.

###

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just learned that today's press conference is not open to the general public out of respect to Senator Levin and his tight schedule being that it is an election year.

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit News' coverage of today's presser...

Group predicts success in saving Tiger Stadium

David Josar / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Members of the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy said today are hopeful they will meet December and March deadlines that will enable them to preserve the ballpark as it existed in 1912.

"We will be successful," conservancy vice president Thom Linn said at a downtown Detroit press conference. "This will be a catalyst for Corktown development."

By Dec. 1, the conservancy must show it has a detailed plan that, among other things, outlines how the group will raise the rest of the funding and how it will construct the project in the Corktown neighborhood on the city's near west side.

That is also the date for them to come up with another $150,000 to go into an escrow fund for security and maintenance of the site. The group has already deposited $150,000 into the account.

The next deadline would be March 1, when the group must come up with financing plan for the project, estimated to cost about $15 million.

A portion of that money is to be $4 million in federal appropriations that have been advocated by U.S. Sen. Carl Levin, D-Michigan.

"We're not going to lose this," Levin said today.

If the federal money does not survive the budget process, organizers are not giving up hope.

"There's a lot of national interest out there," said Rick Ruffner, a conservancy member and owner of Detroit-based Avanti Press. "People will pull together."

The group has already raised $219,000 from about 600 donors.

The city has decided to tear down most of the stadium to make way for new development. City planners believe they would get more development proposals if the structure were torn down rather than to let it remain.

If the group does not get the money or the project does not past muster with the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., the entire structure will be razed.

The conservancy wants the remainder of the ball field to be used for youth sports, and the remaining structure to house a museum and possibly be used as venue for banquets and similar events.

You can reach David Josar at (313) 222-2073 or djosar@detnews.com.

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ben Hassenger has completed a video to accompany his song, The Corner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-nVIR1mDxqs

You may have met Ben at the recent OTSC fundraisers.

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An updated plan has been released by the OTSC:

http://savetigerstadium.org/Th ePlan.pdf

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you save it, they will come!

Come celebrate with friends and neighbors the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy's recent victory to preserve the original Navin Field grandstand and historic playing field and the project to revitalize Corktown, Detroit's oldest neighborhood!

Host: Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy
Event: Benefit Party

Date: Friday, October 24, 2008
Time: 6:30pm - 9:00pm

Street: 1426 Bagley - (Trumbull, one block south of Michigan)
City: Detroit, MI 48216
Web Site: http://www.corktownpub.com/

SUGGESTED DONATION: $15/ea or $25/couple

FOOD: Light snacks provided

BEVERAGES: Available from the bar

ENTERTAINMENT: Ben Hassenger, The Baseball Baladeer will perform "The Corner", "The Voice of Summer", and other baseball tunes. Performing 7:00pm to 7:45pm
http://tinyurl.com/thecornervi deo http://www.myspace.com/bquietm usic

Phone: 313-285-9922
Email: oldtigerstadium@gmail.com

If you'd like to make a night of it, please call ahead for dinner reservations as the dining room fills rapidly. (313-963-4546)

The entertainment upstairs begins at 8:00pm. Blackthorn is an extremely popular and talented Irish group that never fails to provide an enjoyable evening of song and story. Their easy banter and fine music keep their faithful returning.

If you're unable to attend, but wish to take this opportunity to support the ongoing cause, please visit the website and make an online contribution. Any gift, large or small is greatly appreciated. http://www.SaveTigerStadium.or g

The Conservancy is a registered Michigan non-profit corporation and has been accorded 501(c)3 status by the Internal Revenue Service.
All donations made to the OTSC are eligible to be deducted as a charitable contribution on your 2008 tax returns.

Oldoak
Username: Oldoak

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the Book Cadillac block party and the Corktown event, Friday night looks like THE night to come to Detroit!

(see entire post below, here's the skinny)
Host: Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy
Event: Benefit Party
Date: Friday, October 24, 2008
Time: 6:30pm - 9:00pm

Street: 1426 Bagley - (Trumbull, one block south of Michigan)
City: Detroit, MI 48216
Web Site: http://www.corktownpub.com/

SUGGESTED DONATION: $15/ea or $25/couple

FOOD: Light snacks provided

BEVERAGES: Available from the bar

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved Tiger Stadium more than I can express with words, so what I'm about to say is not a reflection of the "tear that **** down" mentality which has been adequately represented in this forum and other places.
Every work-day, I drive past the intersection of Michigan & Trumbull, and from my work-place, I can see that spot.
Over the course of the last couple of months, I have directly witnessed the destruction of a place which I loved.
I'm not crying about it; I accept. The team has moved on, and I was there, for the last game at Tiger Stadium, to celebrate it and say goodbye to it.
But, earlier this summer, the sad moment came, complete with the requisite cranes and wrecking balls. It was painful, for me, to watch; every day, a little more was gone.
Now, there is this piece, of it, left standing. For me, seeing that piece hurts more than would seeing a vacant lot.
So, please forgive me if I have no enthusiasm for, or interest in, the attempt to raise money for the purpose of "saving" a section of one of the chambers of my heart.
You kinda need the whole thing, intact, in order for it to continue beating.
The "well, we still got a little bit of it" thing just doesn't give me any warm feeling and, to my eyes, I can hardly imagine anything looking dumber & more pointless than an unconnected piece of what was, when it was whole, alive, and thriving, a beautiful ballpark.
Sorry, but I really don't want to have to see that piece sitting there looking dumb & pointless and forcing me to ache every damned day, over and over. If it was all gone, I wouldn't have to miss it so much; in my memory, it would still be whole & beautiful, and I could enjoy that without having to see this ridiculous little jagged-edged "piece" forcing me to just continually hurt.
If some of you want, so much, to keep that piece around, please do some of us a favor and move it the fuck out of our sight, eh?

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot disagree with you more Ravine.
To me the existing (remaining) structure is quite poetic. Some have criticized saving a portion of the stadium because of its past as a place of exclusion and segregation, but now it sits open for ALL to see... Even the structure exposed in section for ALL to contemplate... Begging for the people (that "loved the place") to restore the field and a modest portion of the building for ALL to use and visit as an operating field and history museum. The field has existed in different forms for many decades, it's fitting that it takes on a new form now that the Tigers have moved on. Help give the youth of Detroit an actual nice field with incredible history. I can see it being used every summer weekend by different age group travel team tournaments. ...Having played in hundreds of those growing up, I can say it would by much cooler for kids to play at that field than some non-descript park in the suburbs. And believe me, passing by that sight, you would see something "whole and beautiful". Not to mention, you could take your kids or nephew or grandkids to the museum to see the different forms the field has taken over time. What a treat that would be. Something tells me that it wouldn't have the same affect as a parking lot. So, please don't discourage the people who have done so much to get this far (BTW I am not one, other than donating), because I personally will be very upset if the naysayers win this battle. If it really upsets you, just do me a favor and close your eyes as you pass by, then you can open them when you get to a parking lot that used to hold a historically significant building (shouldn't be too difficult) and ironically you probably won't know what the building was. You can pretend its Michigan and Trumbell.

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,

Please keep in mind that the portion to be saved is the most historic portion of the stadium, dating to 1912 (lower deck) and 1923 (upper deck). If you look at photos of Navin Field from 1923 to 1936 you see what you see today (minus Navin Field's pavilions which extended out the baselines).

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be fair, what's remaining is a historically accurate piece of the stadium as it stood for several years (see picture in link below):

http://www.baseballforum.com/p hotopost/showphoto.php/photo/4 4/size/big/ppuser/296

Having that said, I do think there is something to Ravine's comments. To me it is a question of saving the stadium for nostalgia versus historical reasons.

For most of us, the Tiger Stadium that is in our memories (and part of us, quite frankly) is the fully enclosed structure. My memories are very much associated with seeing that mammoth structure towering on all four sides of the field, creating a presence that was uniquely Tiger Stadium. See, that is the only Tiger Stadium I know, and that is the only Tiger Stadium I have nostalgia for. I have no personal connection to Navin Field or the stadium as shown in the link above. So in that respect, my feelings toward saving the place based on nostalgia left the moment the stadium was no longer fully enclosed.

However, I do support the preservation of the stadium as I think it would provide a great example of how facilities of the era were assembled, built, and styled. (assuming it can be financed, restored, and used – I don’t support it sitting "as is"). But it is purely for history, not for nostalgia. My Tiger Stadium is gone.

Just my thoughts...

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2857
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost every one of you who responded to my gloomy, depressive post brought up good points and suggested much cheerier mind-sets with which to view the remains. Thanks. It actually did help, a little bit.
This time, there is no underlying snark imbedded in my remarks.
Although, I will state that I think closing my eyes as I pass The Corner is, almost certainly, a very bad plan.
On the other hand, that could depend on who might be crossing Trumbull, on foot, at the time.

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy

For immediate release November 10, 2008 Contact: Rod Nelson 313.285.9922

Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy to Present Benefit House Party with Chuck Brodsky

A special holiday benefit concert spotlighting one of Detroit's most prestigious homes will be held for The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy to raise funds for the preservation of the city's beloved ballpark at Michigan and Trumbull. Renowned singer-songwriter Chuck Brodsky will perform at the intimate setting of the Buhl Mansion, one of the jewels of Detroit residential architecture.

TIME: Sunday, November 23, 2008; 6:00pm to 8:30pm

PLACE: The Buhl Mansion; 1116 Iroquois Street; Detroit, MI 48214

TICKETS: $35/ea or $60/couple. Prepay at http://www.SaveTigerStadium.or g or at the door.

PREMIUM PACKAGE: $60/ea or $100/couple. Includes guided house tour and choice of CD.

NOTE: Seating is limited, please RSVP to tigerstadiumconservancy@gmail. com or 313.285.9922

*Guided home tours commence at 4:00pm. Soft drinks, coffee and appetizers will be provided.

ABOUT THE ARTIST: Chuck Brodsky is a down-to-earth musical storyteller. His dry, barb-witted social commentary is combined with a deep underlying compassion. His great gift as a songwriter is to infuse personal stories with humanity and humor, making them resonate profoundly with his listeners. Chuck is a passionate aficionado of The National Pastime and lifelong fan of the Philadelphia Phillies, 2008 World Series Champions. In addition to his collection of "Baseball Ballads" which is among the folklore exhibited at the Baseball Hall of Fame, Brodsky wrote the theme to the widely acclaimed Cuba Gooding movie "Radio", and has been the recipient of numerous musical awards. He has toured extensively for a dozen years and performed alongside the nation's finest folksingers. The current tour promotes his latest release "Two Sets", a two-disc live album featuring a wide range of music from throughout his career. For more information on Chuck, go to: http://www.chuckbrodsky.com.

Michigan's own baseball troubadour Ben Hassenger will play an opening set featuring "The Corner", a tribute to Tiger Stadium, as well as the Ernie Harwell homage "Voice of Summer". Ben's Web site is at: http://www.myspace.com/bquietm usic.

ABOUT THE VENUE: The Buhl Mansion was home to Arthur Hiram Buhl, grandson of American-Canadian industrialist Hiram Walker. He was the scion of his generation for the Buhl family (Buhl & Sons Wholesale Industrial Hardware Co., Buhl Stamping, Buhl Malleable Co., Buhl Land Co. & Buhl Aircraft Co.). Built in 1909 for nearly $40,000, the classic Gothic home design was the signature of by John Scott & Co. Architects. It comprises over 10,000 square feet of living space luxuriously appointed with one of Michigan's finest antique collections. For a photo, see: http://www.harttantiquesgaller y.com/

ABOUT THE CAUSE: The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy's mission is to preserve, re-develop, and program the beloved ballpark site on Michigan Avenue as a public park, youth sports venue, and destination for baseball fans in a practical and economically viable manner to both honor the site's history and create value for Corktown, Detroit oldest neighborhood. The $15 million project envisions an adaptive re-use of the original 1912 Navin Field grandstand and the upper deck added in 1923 as a one-of-kind venue with museum quality exhibits, a banquet hall, and thematic retail. Fans will be able to explore the clubhouses, dugouts, and the broadcast booth and play baseball on the same field where Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Hank Greenberg, Al Kaline and many other baseball greats once roamed.

The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy is a Michigan-based 501(c)3 non-profit corporation.

For more information, visit: http://www.savetigerstadium.or g/

This benefit event is sponsored by
Hartt Antiques Gallery • 17307 Mack Avenue • Detroit, Michigan 48224 • 313-885-5600 • http://harttantiquesgallery.co m/

P.O. Box 141193 Detroit, MI 48214 313.285.9922 tigerstadiumconservancy@gmail. com

http://www.SaveTigerStadium.or g

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a way you can help the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy:

www.iGive.com/TigerStadiumCons ervancy

If you sign up, simply searching on the web brings funds to the OTSC. A percentage of your online purchases would also go to the OTSC through iGive (think about the approaching holiday season). In addition, your e-bay transactions can also serve as a contributor through this program. Check it out.

Beech_cricker

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The latest Doug Sokolowski interview with OTSC Board Member Gary Gillette is now available at:

http://www.preservetigerstadiu m.com/news.htm

I've always found these interviews to be informative and recommend your taking a listen.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.