Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Obama speech in Midtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the Obama speech in Midtown today I saw what I thought was quite the telling characteristic about him. Someone fainted in the crowd of thousands and Obama stopped mid sentence and calmly pointed it out to the paramedics. He and his wife even tossed their bottles of water to the people helping this person. On top of that, Obama didn't start speaking again until that person was alright. He gave an excellent speech but that one action said a lot more about him and his priorities.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its funny how they faint in front of the messiah. This is actually very common at his events.

Thoughtful conservatives have a slightly different bodily reaction when they hear him speak.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 364
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or maybe it was the fact that it was hot as hell standing in the sun all morning and into the afternoon.

Try not to let your ignorance show so much. It's not flattering.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I was watching the teevee yesterday and saw a similar event play out in South Carolina. I wonder if Obama is planting fainters in the audience.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess Mother Nature is an Obama supporter. She sure as hell hates Bush.

(Message edited by GreatLakes on September 28, 2008)

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2913
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O, cmon, Irish, we know you went..

IrishMafia: "What kind of guns do you Secret Service guys carry? .38's? .357's?"

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14281
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thoughtful conservatives

The rare beast, indeed. Or is it feelings they have trouble with...I get the extremes SO confused.

That's it...the extreme liberals need to think more, and extreme conservatives need learn to feel, and I DON'T mean with their hands!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 459
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! That was nothing but an act of weakness, showing concern for the well-being of a common person of no importance!

McCain 2008! McCain 2008!

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 698
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched today's rally via stream on CNN.com and both Joe Biden and Barack Obama did a brilliant job articulating their economic message. Im not sure what McCain's economic plan is other than extending Bush's taxcuts to the top 1 or 2 percent of wage earners. What else is Sen. McCain offering that is different from what Bush has already tried?

Anyone?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I should get one of those signs that says One of these days Im gonna get organizized"

You crack me up Larry.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"At the Obama speech in Midtown today I saw what I thought was quite the telling characteristic about him."

You were impressed because he threw a bottle of water and stopped his speech? Would you have expected anything less? In a civilized society that's the bare minimum.

I hear McCain only refused to leave a hellish situation until those held captive longer were released first.

No offense, but if you were impressed by that enough to post about it you need to get out more or hang around some better people.

The other day I change a flat tire on an elderly ladies car. Does that make me a great person?
No, if I didn't change the tire it makes me an a-hole.

Maxdetroit
Username: Maxdetroit

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McCain = Dole 2.0

Speaking of Bob Dole, I just checked out Electoral-vote.com and his wife is running 3 pts behind the Democrat in North Carolina. Elizabeth Dole has been a Senator for at least 12 years, I would have thought she'd be fireproof by now. It's shaping up to be an awful year for the Republicans and having the economy implode on Bush's watch isn't helping.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5471
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone agrees that McCain behaved admirably over 30 years ago while in the Hanoi Hilton. Now, right now, he is unfit for the office of President of the United States.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.....Tossing out bottles of water into the crowd? Back in the old hippie days, The Fruit of the Loom band would toss bottles of Boonesfarm into the crowd.

Detoth67
Username: Detoth67

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Thoughtful conservatives have a slightly different bodily reaction when they hear him speak."

There are thoughtful conservatives?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 689
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I knew they were giving away free bottled water, I would have been the first one there. Call me next time.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barrack is one cool cat.
I wish Bush were as hip as him.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5271
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So does the rest of the Ilitch clan support Obama or is this Denise going her own way?

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was impressed by that too! I was like I hope that the media actually captures that because it was so awesome! He is so cool and seems really genuine. I love how cool he was about it too! He was like...These things happen, it'll be ok!! LOL! Obama is the greatest!! I loved that he gave her some water, and then Michelle stepped in and gave hers...and then they shook hands! They are the epitome of a power couple!!

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glass bottles of Boone's Farm? That could do some harm to a hippie head if someone wasn't paying attention.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obama will be a great president!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippies had hard heads. Fruit Of The Loom (later, I think, Frut) was an amusing experience. While MC5 were singing "Kick Out The Jams M...F..", Mt Clemens' finest band was singing "Bl.. Me, Bl.. Me!"

Lyrics censored so that records can be sold at Hudson's!!

Peace

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure you get out and vote for him.

Original63
Username: Original63

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wish any Republican were as Competent as Obama is.

This thread started out talking about simple compassion and Repubs turn everything into a negative.

That is what is wrong with this country right now.

Everyone is viewed as a liar when it's just been President Bush who has lied from the day he took office to the days in the last few weeks he allowed the financial system to crash......while saying all is well.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14298
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If one is a liar, one thinks everyone must be...I believe that is the justification behind the pathology.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft, An incident of a hippie being conked on the head by a bottle of Boonesfarm thrown by the Frut occurred at the Sagatuck Music Festival in 1969. The hippie, while staggering and reeling from the impact, was given a complementary case of Boonesfarm courtesy of the Frut.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 410
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall a similar incident at the Detroit Rock N' Roll Revival at the State Fairgrounds in late May '69. A school bus rolled onto the grounds adjacent to stage left with hippies on top tossing out apples to the assembled multitudes. Their gesture of friendship and sharing was misinterpreted and the hippies atop the bus became easy targets for return volleys of apples in their direction from the assembled multitudes.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i noticed the fainting also.I went to the one at Hart Plaza, and an elderly lady fainted,probably because it was very hot that day.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.