Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Constitutional / rule of law question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Edgar_rhode
Username: Edgar_rhode

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was thinking... ( yeah i know - my first error in judgment )

but this as a serious query not meant as a slam on any political party or candidate.

McCain has well known health concerns and Palin is well meaning but lets say "naive".

between now and the election McCain falls seriously ill. stroke ill or dead ill.
the GOP panics and Palin is pushed out or "resigns" to be with her family.

the GOP is now left without anyone to put on the ballot.

1. can the GOP just throw any two people up there? what about all the ballots / voting machines?

2. can bush declare marshall law and suspend the election until a new convention and delegate are selected?

3. some other scenario that i'm not seeing yet?

--

a similar end point scenario could be constructed around obama and biden coming to an untimely end - so again i'm NOT trying to be political with the questions.

i know there are a lot of conspiracy theories out there about bush pulling an "october surprise" but seriously what are the constitutional / rules of law governing such a unlikely proposition?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5266
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every state has criteria and deadlines for getting on the ballot. Candidates can't just step in without conforming to those laws.

As a matter of fact the Libertarians have mounted a court challenge to the Texas ballot saying the two major party candidates missed the deadline and so shouldn't be on it.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 400
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well put. Look, I listen to WRIF in the mornings and am so sick of Trudy Daniels getting apeshit. I am kinda of tired of my girlfriend getting apeshit over Palin. And... I am tired of Mitch Albom and Hannity. I tend towards the conservative side, by the way, but it just kills me to see people blindly led to the slaughter house. It makes me feel like a cow, waiting in line with everyone else. I want a cow going to slaughter that says, "Wait a minute! Fuck this!"

But I aint seen it yet. I do not see it in Obama-rama-lama-ding-dong, or in the hero McCain. I do not see it in anybody. Welcome to America.

ed note: I am the LAST person on earth to engage in a political debate, just felt like sayin' sumpin' sumpin' about our situation. Thanks. Gg.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 402
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a presidential election, you actually vote for a slate of electors, not for a candidate, so it would be simple for the electors to vote for a replacement. If it was too late to change the ballot, you would vote for the dead guy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.