Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Good Detroit Coffee Shops « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Amsterdam Espresso closed after the Forest Arms fire, I've been looking for another laid-back coffee-shop (not a Starbucks) to take its place. Any ideas?
Wi-fi essential.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 281
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may enjoy Cafe 1923 on Holbrook in Hamtramck. Definitely laid back. Separate smoking & nonsmoking rooms. Above-average espresso drinks. Solid wi-fi.

Can also try the Java Exchange on Burroughs in Tech Town, but limited evening hours. No smoking. I would say coffee is not as good as Cafe 1923, but wi-fi is excellent; pleasant environment.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 371
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hands down Cafe 1923.

Ashdetroit

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I appreciate the tip.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14240
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hand UP, too.

I help Audra Kubat with an Open Mic there on Thursday nights, too, seven to nine.

I've come to know both Sean and Shannon, and they are some of the best around.

Always some good conversation, if you're looking for it, too.

Cheers!

Ashdetroit

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gannon, where is Hand UP? I looked online, but couldn't find a listing...and I'm new around here.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 625
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's in the Upper Peninsula.

Gannon

Post Number: 14242
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, it was a funny...missed the 's'...destroyed the potential joke.

Norwalk said hands DOWN...I merely 'tried' to say Hands UP, too...Cafe 1923.

It it the coffeehouse of choice for me...and I support them by helping stage an Open Mic every week...it's been a whole bunch of fun for over nine months now.

Welcome, btw, great opener...proving you're a coffeehouse person...heh.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mercury coffee bar on michigan at 14th is getting really close to opening, probably a week or two away i'd guess

Gannon

Post Number: 14243
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huge YAY!

Oh yeah, that reminds me, one more cool one...at the foot of the Ambassador Bridge, Cafe Con Leche, in the Welcome Center there.

Great coffee and treats, wifi, and a really cool owner, if not a delegator either like our friend Josh at Urban Bean Company. So, he keeps really tight hours, and none on Sunday.

He's open until six, from memory...I cannot find the promo cards I got from him last time through.

(Message edited by Gannon on September 28, 2008)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe 1923 is wicked for that laid back atmosphere, with the room in the back and the backyard.

For non-laid back Type A's or when you're in an "A" mode I recommend Java Exchange. Cool folks over there, too.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really liked Urban Bean Co. coffee. The building is nice too.

Yvette1234
Username: Yvette1234

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy The Coffee Cafe' located Downtown. The owner is a very nice lady, she keeps a very clean establishment, serves fresh drinks/food and the customer service is GREAT. Just by the way she and her staff treat their customers make you want to go back.

The only cons are she closes early and not opened on weekends. I also like Espresso Jazzy Java located Downtown...the owner is also a very nice guy and I like his hours.

(Message edited by yvette1234 on September 28, 2008)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh Yvette, I'm not sure where those places are? I'd love to visit sometime.

For my two cents, the Rowland Cafe has to be the finest place downtown. It is located in the Cathedral of Commerce, the Guardian Building; so, when sipping coffee you're really drinking in all that great looking architecture

(Message edited by gnome on September 28, 2008)

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 582
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starbucks! anyone?

I don't know how many are left after the Reorganization. The one in Downtown Rochester Closed as they opened a drive through one up the street

Gnome

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rowland cafe

The Rowland

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 947
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rowland is great, I agree. Avalon Bakery is a wonderful place to get coffee. Doing work there can be great and sometimes difficult.

Gannon

Post Number: 14260
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because you run into too many people you want to hang and chat with?!

THAT is the magic of coffeehouses...been that way since the very first one!

Texorama

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only problem at the Rowland is the wireless, which comes in 1/2-hour increments :-( . It's a superior workspace, and for me it always brings to mind the Beatles' line about feeling like you're in a play.

I also like the Coffee Cafe (in the Dime Building), which has that particular brand of friendliness that is one of Detroit's best attractions. Limited seating, though.

Jazzy Espresso is on E. Grand River across from the Opera House garage. You may get conspiracy theories with your coffee, but it has a neat little loft that's very cozy in winter. The owner built the place himself. A disadvantage for long work sessions: no restrooms.

Janet's Java in Compuware is convenient and has good wireless. They have wheatgrass shots if you're into that kind of thing. They close at 6. Au Bon Pain in Campus Martius is another possibility. More seating than it seems at first. Wireless is inconsistent but has been OK lately. BTW, the much-touted free wireless in downtown parks has not worked out--it's just not being maintained.

Can you tell I work in coffee houses a lot? I think the city is still underserved and represents a strong opportunity for coffee house entrepreneurs. The Starbucks at Jefferson and Grand River, slated to be closed, has been hopping when I've been there--an independent could certainly take that over and make it work.

(Message edited by texorama on September 28, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 14262
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah!

Forgot Janet's.

The people there are fantastic, and the product great, too.

Vas

Post Number: 948
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn thanks Tex for those extras. Janet's is pretty good, hard working people there.
Avalon's a little tough sometimes because of the cramped environment and small tables.

Gnome

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Jazzy Expresso about 10 foot wide? Guy named Shades works there on occasion, zooms around town on a skate board?

Next to the gourmet t-shirt place?

Yeah, good coffee.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the things I enjoy abotu Avalon is that about every other time I went in there I would run into one of my friends. Indeed, it's a great thing about such places.

To the OP, you might want to keep an eye out for round two of the Java Junket bike tour of coffee shops in Detroit. It will probably be in early November or so. Check Synergy's web site for info. If you're unfamiliar with any of the choices, it is a fun way to visit a bunch of them.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe 1923 is excellent. Historic building with lots of character that makes it feel quite comfortable. Great staff, excellent drinks, good food and fast WiFi.

http://cafe1923.com/

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 890
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ashdetroit:
quote:

I've been looking for another laid-back coffee-shop (not a Starbucks) to take its place.

French777:
quote:

Starbucks! anyone?

Pure comedy. It's like when someone asks about where to find something in Detroit and one of the first five responses invariably starts with "Not in Detroit, but..."
I don't know what is so hard about reading a question before you answer it.
Sorry, pet peeve. Carry on. :-)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2587
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories up there ^^ mentioned the UP. Just in case anyone is heading up there, they have absolutely great coffee and espresso at the Dancing Crane at Bay Mills west of Brimley. It's like an outpost in a world of weak coffee. Talk to Jim about wifi, sometimes you can get in.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 695
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about that coffee shop just east of Eastern Market? I believe it's on Charlevoix at Chene and south of Gratiot. There's a sign up but it's not been open the last I checked, which was a couple months ago.

Gannon

Post Number: 14284
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I've been watching that, haven't seen any activity other then one small party gathering. I pass by that building often, and also noticed the sign.

I always wonder about what it is like to live in a place with so few windows...

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 848
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is it at?

Gannon

Post Number: 14285
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll ride my bike over there in a minute to get the name off the sign, Pgn, but from the map Fishtoes is exactly right.

SE corner of Charlevoix at Chene...behind that party store on the corner. You can see it in this Google view: 0%2C5,http://maps.google.com/m aps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Grati ot+and+Chene,+Detroit,+MI&sll= 42.330165,-83.045913&sspn=0.36 9039,0.585022&ie=UTF8&ll=42.35 8084,-83.031192&spn=0.011527,0 .018282&z=16&layer=c&cbll=42.3 52314,-83.032159&panoid=Okr5bu p7IwjbL0xxcFzspQ&cbp=2,120.729 56640660095,,0,5

It is a four or so story building that looks to be converted into lofts...or ONE huge loft. Occasionally I see a semi-truck cab parked in front...so someone there may know a cross-country trucker.

Yvette1234
Username: Yvette1234

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes2000 & Gannon: This article comes from Model D, April 28th issue.

Taste of Java coffee shop begins serving May 3
Taste of Java Cafe will open May 3 at 2630 Charlevoix, near the intersection of Chene and Gratiot. The coffee shop is 4,000 square feet and will seat 50. It offers free wi-fi, flat screen televisions and a surround sound system; the menu includes a full array of espresso drinks, gourmet coffees, juices, soft drinks, and pastries.

New Yorker Erkan Chase caught a glimpse of the five-story building in 1999 and, despite its vacant state, saw potential in its facade. He purchased it with a local, Coral Watt, and, after lots of sweat equity and family workdays, Chase and partners Marcus McDermott and Gregory Worrell are ready to open their doors.

More than $2 million dollars has been invested into the building, as is evident by the iron-gated parking lot, ceramic-tiled lobby, marble counter tops, leather chairs and other such details. The second level of the building has also been renovated, as an open floor plan loft.

Taste of Java's grand opening will run from noon to 2 a.m. and will feature live entertainment, hors d' oeuvres and an art showcase. A full array of coffee and espresso drinks, fruit smoothies and pastries will be available for purchase.

Source: Javay Johnson, manager, Taste of Java
Writer: Kelli B. Kavanaugh

Gannon

Post Number: 14287
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You just saved me a chilly bike ride, Yvette, thanks!

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 892
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a weird neighborhood to open a gourmet coffee shop in.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The smiling faces of the owners of Café 1923 from the Hamtramck Citzen!

cafe 1923

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 850
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

free coffee this week at biggbyy coffee shops,customer appreciatio

Gannon

Post Number: 14347
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love those pictures, Mortalman, thanks for posting 'em.

That place is becoming home away from home for me...très comfortable.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stella Cafe in the Fisher, Roland Cafe in the Guardian, Avalon, and Cafe 1923.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the best European Cuppa Joe, Roland Café for sure!

Best downtown neighborhood café: Jazzy Café.

I miss Café de Troit.........a LOT!

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe con Leche does have some late Friday nights - once a month or so. There's poetry reading and live music (generally a local jazz/blues band called The Recovery Band - they are pretty good) and an artist that does pencil drawings of patrons and will sell it to you if you ask (he does not solicit). I've seen the owner stay open as late as 10 on those nights if the crowd is not into leaving - never rushes anyone out on those nights, even when his wife is calling and asking when he'll be home. Sandwiches are good, too. He's told me he is willing to adjust his hours if people let him know they want to hold a meeting or something (I used to have some business meetings at the Starbucks in Dearborn at the request of the others and have now asked that we move those to this place.) Yes, the construction is killing him and this is a shameless, but honest, shill attempt.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i live in the neighborhood, and have never been, i will try to change that soon

(Message edited by gravitymachine on October 03, 2008)

Docterry

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tonight - 7:30 - 9 pm - Detroit Vibe and Smashed Windows are playing

Docterry

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tonight - 7:30 - 9 pm - Detroit Vibe and Smashed Windows are playing

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where?

Mocad
Username: Mocad

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a great café at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit (MOCAD). Lots of homemade, fresh soups, salads and sandwiches. The coffee is excellent and we have organic loose-leaf teas! check out the menu at: mocadetroit.org/cafe

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am excited there is a Biggby Coffee going in the new lofts on Woodward near Wayne State. This should do pretty well there.

Docterry

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazz night tomorrow night at Cafe con Leche!

Pape06
Username: Pape06

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beans and Bytes at Woodward and Willis isn't bad either. I haven't been over there in close to a year so for all I know it might not even be there anymore. Cool employees, decent coffee and very laid back atmosphere.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beans and Bytes is closed...

Vas

Post Number: 956
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starbucks across from the Guardian building on Griswald is closed.
Go Roland Cafe Go!

Docterry

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the owner of Cafe con Leche at last night's Hispanic Heritage dinner - for those with an interest, they are also broadcasting a radio show live on Tuesday nights from Cafe. It's focus is on Hispanic/Latino culture and acculturation here. Also has some new artists lined up for music night - he sends out e-mail announcements/schedules for the Cafe and surrounding neighborhood. Worth signing up for if you're in the neighborhood.

Texorama

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DocT, Where is the radio show broadcast?

Docterry

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Cafe con Leche - how they manage to cram everything/everyone in there, I don't know - unless they use the big, open, lobby-like space - as I've not been down for that, just for music nights and the random cup of coffee when I'm in the neighborhood. Good discussion/broadcast last night from the dinner, though - they must have changed the night this week to accomodate the dinner. They said the broadcast has gone international, with something like (don't remember for sure) listeners from 20 countries as well as around the state, etc.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearclaw Coffee Co. at the Fort Shelby is selling 5 cent coffee from 6:30am to 10:00am. on Oct. 14. The price reflects the cost of a cup of coffee in 1917, the year the building was erected.

I've only been to Bearclaw once, and that was in Dexter, and I didn't get coffee. My smoothie was damn good though.

Texorama

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean, on what station is it broadcast? Or is it on the Internet? I don't see a website for the cafe.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2514
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is this post for a free press article

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.