Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Terrence Howard to Play Coleman Young? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other day I saw a few minutes of Coleman Young Jr. on the government access channel on cable; he was discussing the fact that Terrence Howard would be portraying his father in a movie. I didn't see enough of the show to know whether the movie being discussed will be a biography of Coleman Young, or whether CAY appears as part of a movie with a broader theme than just the life of Coleman Young. From the way CAY Jr. was talking, it sounded as if this was already in motion...

Did anyone catch this interview, or has anyone heard anything about this movie? Detroiter2, now that you're a member, could you shed any light on this? :-)

Miguel
Username: Miguel

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A $10-million film about the late Detroit Mayor Coleman A. Young will begin shooting in Detroit in September, its producer-writer-director said.

Marc Cayce (pronounced KAY-cee), an independent filmmaker who produced "Nikita Blues" and "Forbidden Fruits," and who most recently worked on "Haitian Nights," said that he is in pre-production through September here for the film that will be a labor of love and will feature many Detroit actors.

"Coleman Young, to me, was my hero," said Cayce, a Redford High School graduate who studied film at the University of Southern California. He spoke in an interview Sunday at Plymouth United Church of Christ, one of several churches he is visiting to find friends and coworkers of the late mayor. "He was somebody who inspired me. I grew up in the ghettos of Detroit, and he made me be bigger than what I thought I could be."

Cayce is in negotiations to cast Terrence Howard - an Academy Award nominee and current star of an all-black version of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" on Broadway - as Young."

Full Article at : http://www.wzzm13.com/news/wat ercooler/story.aspx?storyid=93 533&catid=82

Hope this helps

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5051
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrence Howard is a great actor, one of the best who deserves more recognition. He would be great for this role. He was fabulous in Crash and Hustle and Flow. He was also in the Detroit-related film Four Brothers.

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 342
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's fabulous.

Can't wait to see the movie.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the information Miguel! I agree, Lowell -- Terrence is great. I first loved him after seeing him in The Best Man, and he was outstanding in Hustle and Flow.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Rochelle Riley wrote about it in the Free Press! How did I miss that?? I guess I was too busy reading about Kwame to catch anything else!

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh god i hope they find a bill bonds, so they can include all the fights between bill and coleman young.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can see of course, the game:

Remember when "Hoffa" came out and young Jim Hoffa was won of the consultants for the film.... after the good press, whadya know...young Jim Hoffa runs for president of the Teamsters!!

Someone is consulting Junior along a similar path....our future mayor....

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, what part did he play in "4 brothers"? I'm still tripping on the movie when they had the 10 minute gun fight at the mom's house!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.