Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » $10M Detroit copier contract probed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another one of Kwame's friends who benefitted from him being Mayor.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080925/METRO /809250414/1409/METRO

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dominoes are starting to fall.

Bsu
Username: Bsu

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was huge news in my office this morning. Our company bid that contract for about $2.2 million and the city of Detroit rejected it. My co-worker who put our proposal together couldn't believe we lost it at that time, they were going after this account pretty hard. This guy walked away with $10 million of the peoples money, that's almost an $8 million difference (in his and the King's pocket). What a shame.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems that Cockrel doesn't have to be an administrative genius to have a positive effect on the City of Detroit. All he has to be is honest, and he will be a vast improvement over Kilpatrick.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can you say "shell company"?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn shame

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BSU, your company's bid was 22% of what the contract went for?! This contract alone should be enough for folks to go to prison. Wow, can you imagine -- maybe as Cockrel continues to unearth these issues and root out the corruption, maybe Detroit will actually have healthy finances!

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet they're gonna find tons of these similar sweetheart deals for Kwame's friends, now that he's gone and can't hide the paperwork any longer. Firing all of his team will help bring these to light because all of the departments were working FOR him. They might be surprised at how much money they can recover for the city. I hope too that they can somehow press charges for all of the slowly exposing fraud.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7312
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well assuming that City Council has to OK all large contracts, do they even see the competing contracts, or do they only get to review the final choice by the city administration?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3323
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now let's find out how much the city paid for those streetlight shrouds! :-)

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, forget about growing the balance sheet by attracting new residents. We could probably double our budget just by getting rid of corruption.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that's the first priority, YPD. Find money where the city already has it - there are a lot of contracts like this, as I've seen low or middle bidders constantly lose due to cronyism.

I was surprised to hear Kenyatta's statement - it was very Archer-like and Archer at the time took a lot of flack for it.

quote:

"I am known for supporting black-owned and operated businesses," Kenyatta said. "However, it must be qualified, certified, bona fide, dignified black-owned and operated businesses, not just help a brother out."

I like that he rhymed it, whereas Archer did not.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And after the streetlight shrouds, Detroitnerd, let's find out why a TOTALLY UNNECESSARY median was built in the middle of Livernois.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 878
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And after the streetlight shrouds, Detroitnerd, let's find out why a TOTALLY UNNECESSARY median was built in the middle of Livernois.

Try "is still being built." They built it down to Six Mile or so, and everyone hated it so much they decided to extend it down past the Lodge.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown_lady: And why the freakin' project kept on going down Livernois even after the City Council asked them to stop pending further review? (It was something like that. Can't recall exactly right now.)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14197
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digital,

He obviously has more experience in preaching styles than Archer had...

As for the difference between pricing on the contract...how much of that 8 mil do you think came BACK to Kwhyme and Bernard and the whole McNamara group?

We have a HUGE struggle now to uncover all of this as soon as possible before they can start using this warchest against us...they know what fuels campaigns and lawsuits to tie up free speech that happens to be aimed against them.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 605
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to know how much evidence of these types of deals was shredded the last two weeks the criminal was in office? There is so much cleaning up to do!

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see Ken Cockrel investigate every contractor the city has put on its payroll.
There are all sorts of sweet deals that have taken place to put non city employees on the payroll.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 556
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder Kwame was fighting so hard to stay on as mayor. He was raping and pillaging every part of the city of Detroit. Like I said before, the KKS (Kilpatrick Krime Syndicate) had too many mouthes to feed and that is why Kwame resisted stepping down. A lot of crooked back-stabbing, lying, cheating scum are going to starve now.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait and how much would it have cost to keep the BI Aquarium open? Have BSU's company take over the remainder and reopen the aquarium!

Bsu
Username: Bsu

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People were all up in arms about the $8.4 million from the whistle blower case, well here's another $8 million. What's next, they just started digging. And the kicker is we let him leave the state on vacation, to Texas I believe, right next to the border.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 557
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Bsu. Wouldn't it be funny if after all of the KKS members are removed from the payroll Cockrel discovered we had a surplus of funds?

Miss_flow
Username: Miss_flow

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The individual that received this 10 million dollar copier contract is Ken Daniels, an appointee of Kwame's that sits on the Board of Water Commissioners. It's my understanding that he also has a 2 million dollar contract with the water department. They all need to go to jail and Cockrel needs to get rid of ALL Kwame castoffs in director positions. They can't be trusted.

Gannon

Post Number: 14210
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm telling you, we need to get the security video from Cobo Hall from when they had that secret meeting of the top 175 supporters of the Big Diamond.

Then make a deck of cards with their names and pictures...yeah I know it's a Pinochle triple-deck...

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Council voted Thursday to begin the process of rescinding the contract.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080926/METRO /809260365/1409/METRO

Gannon

Post Number: 14229
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not enough.

This one alone is worthy of prosecution...there HAS to be some provision in the city charter for officials who abuse their power in bid contracts like this.

How did one that cost 4 times another bid pass...IF they were similar services from reputable companies, apples-to-apples...without some form of corruption?

There MUST be some sort of mechanism...

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 620
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My hope is those in law enforcement who have access to the text messages use them to build cases and clean up this city.

All of this corruption makes me ill. The money that could have been used to make life better in the city. All sucked out of the city by a bunch of leeches.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 621
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, how about the "using public office for private gain"? They can get a lot of mileage out of that!

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 292
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Gannon. Maybe the FBI can add this to their list. As a matter of fact, I think I'll print out this thread and mail it to them, after I highlight the part where BSU wrote: "Our company bid that contract for about $2.2 million and the city of Detroit rejected it."

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 599
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well assuming that City Council has to OK all large contracts, do they even see the competing contracts, or do they only get to review the final choice by the city administration?"

"How did one that cost 4 times another bid pass...IF they were similar services from reputable companies, apples-to-apples...without some form of corruption?

There MUST be some sort of mechanism..."

You two were the only ones to pick up on this, and good for you. If you remember when Blobby Fergusson was first cast into the spotlight of corruption, it was said that all his contracts were approved at near competitive bids.

The kicker is the CHANGE ORDERS added onto the workload, midway through the projects. Whoever was approving these change orders is equally dirty and involved as Kwame himself. Now I'm not sure that what we're dealing with here on this particular contract is change orders again, but I have to agree with you guys when you say:

How did a bid win that was 400% greater than the next competitors bid? It's mind boggling. Mind you, this was quite a while ago that Bobby was thrown into the corruption ring by the media. What is taking the FEDS so long? Can't they scoop these crooks up now and hold them on what they already have? Is their a lawyer/cop/judge in the house?

My worry is that the heat is onto a lot of these people in a serious way. These crooks have to be thinking about running. Posters in this forum have done a pretty good job speculating as to who is involved and further, who will be indicted. Most of Kwame's connections (Bernhard, McPhail, Ella, Bobby, etc.) have either retired or scaled back their committment to the city. It is just about common knowledge that the FEDS are coming. What is stopping them from running with the amount of money they already have?

One last thing, if in fact these players have a big purse of money stashed somewhere, I presume that they will be prevented from using it on legal representation because they would have to prove it was legally earned. This simply fuels the fire to bail out and take their chances on a sandy beach in the Caribbean.

Thoughts?

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a minute, Let me get this straight, Your company put in a bid for $2.2 million and were outbidded by $8 million? I'm not a genious but why would they award the contract by shelling out an additional $8 million as opposed to $2.2 million (scratching my head)

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Follow the money, Bobby. :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 14230
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, one of the FIRST hurdles any firm approaching the city for business was asked that magical question:

'Who do you have on staff that looks like US?'

There were filters in place to chase away true competition...they may not easily be found liable for those firms that never actually MADE a fully competing bid.

All they'd have to do is make a last-minute spec change, and only tell those they liked...then announce who won the altered bid without saying why.

I would absolutely love to be on this investigative team...every single dime spent and penny contracted needs be analyzed from these crooks.

The first application of all this stolen money just popped up today, there is some lawsuit against the city trying to get Ken Cockrel, Jr. disallowed to return to his City Council post should he lose the interim election.

I'd keep my eye on the Kwhyme supporters on Council...where are THOSE recall petitions?!

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think blind bidding on all contracts should be mandatory. Just bid the price, not the people. Lowest bid should be accepted, if there's a spec change, bid is automatically rebid. no excuses.

Full transparency in the bidding process is vital. There's too much BS in city government anyway, not just Detroit's. I'd think one would like to avoid these tacky after-the-fact witch hunts.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7314
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, I saw that fellow on the news last week who filed the lawsuit to prevent Ken Cockrel Jr. from returing to City Council, should he lose the special election...

That same fellow is planning on running for City Council next time around... my, what a coincidence! :-)

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 601
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wait a minute, Let me get this straight, Your company put in a bid for $2.2 million and were outbidded by $8 million? I'm not a genious but why would they award the contract by shelling out an additional $8 million as opposed to $2.2 million (scratching my head"

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/141953.html?1213138706

http://www.zoominfo.com/people /Ferguson_Bobby_55929786.aspx

http://community.myfoxdetroit. com/blogs/colt19112/2008/06/09 /this_is_why_we_in_the_burbs_h ave_a_right_to_boo

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.