Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Proliferation of graffiti on the freeways « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seems this summer there has been a big boom in tagging on at least 75 north of downtown, on overpasses, bridge abutments and freeway walls. i'd imagine that tagging in those high traffic areas is probably the most brazen work by some of these guys, do the police (be they state, city, county) no longer patrol the freeways?

i know graf is a sticky issue around here, i can appreciate some of the pieces where some time was obviously spent on em (vs. quick scrawl) in remote areas and such, but the freeways are usually the first thing people see of this place and even recently refurbed overpasses are getting hit, what's the deal?

(Message edited by gravitymachine on September 25, 2008)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3315
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO YUGO FEST

:-)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i DON'T SAVY

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3316
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravity: It's an obscure joke. Back in the 1980s, that was usually the only graffiti on the freeway: Some angry person -- probably from the former Yugoslavia -- would just write "NO YUGO FEST" on the freeway overpasses. :-)

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Gravitym's observation that freeway graffiti flourished this summer, but in the past couple of days, I've noticed how a lot of it has been painted over on the Ford Freeway between downtown and Dearborn. Still standing: The elaborate design under the West Grand Blvd exit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.