Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Where does Detroit rank among sustainable cities? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well according to

http://www.sustainlane.com/us- city-rankings/

Detroit ranks 31 out of 50 jumping up 5 places since last years rankings.

http://www.sustainlane.com/us- city-rankings/cities/detroit

"Expect to see more greening in the near future: City council president and head of the recently-formed “Green Task Force,” Kenneth V. Cockrel Jr., replaced the city’s mayor who resigned early September 2008."

Isn't that quite promising??

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14150
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE IT!

Thanks for this link, Izzy.

quote:

It's Pronounced De-kwin-dur

...the title to the sub-article on the Cut.

SustainLane dot Com's Graph of Detroit Sustainability

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 577
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was really Interesting!

Cas
Username: Cas

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting.

Although it's great to see that Detroit has a greening force of some sort, it's really through the people of Detroit and their efforts to do this themselves that is moving this forward, I think. Maybe I'm wrong?

With examples on this very message board (especially the urban garden movement), it seems like there are more people interested and willing to make a change on the streets instead of at the head of Woodward.

Of course, lest we forget, city hall has had their hands tied lately.

Nonetheless, this is positive news for the city for sure.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6281
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's great to see, but Detroit scores so high, it seems, because of its natural advantages, not so much because it's doing much right. (i.e. scores high in things like natural disaster risk, water supply, and housing affordibility). The first two are pretty constant, and the last is a result of a terrible housing market.

To note, Detroit ranks 48th (almost at the very bottom) when it comes to the category of planning and land use, which I think is very telling.

(Message edited by lmichigan on September 24, 2008)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14173
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUT that is the thing that can be most easily changed with progressive leadership.

We made improvements from last year, and the natural disaster risk and water supply didn't change one whit...and relatively we've had the same housing affordability versus the nation, too.

So? We can launch to the head of the class with some basic governmental changes...and as the article mentions, we've at least temporarily have the guy at the helm most likely to create those green changes.

Cheers!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.