Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Millen Fired « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 588
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just fired, Yaaaaaaaaaaaa

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 500
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c om/2008/football/nfl/09/22/tra cker/index.html

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14130
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is strange, because either the News or Freep carried a story of how the old man was keeping him on even with the son's public complaints.

I'd guess he removed himself from the equation...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5233
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He probably did. It's not pleasant being someplace you aren't wanted.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So who does Ford appoint next to run the team? He could wait until after the season and hire George W. Bush.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080924/SPORTS0 1/80924031
quote:

FOXSports.com and WDFN (1130 AM) is reporting that the Lions have removed team president and GM Matt Millen from his post, ending one of the most criticized tenures in Detroit sports history.

Millen was informed of the move last night during a late-night high-level meeting. This morning several people within the building confirmed that he had large packing boxes in his office.

It is unclear if Millen was fired or removed himself from the equation but the news comes just days after Bill Ford, Jr. publicly stated he would have fired the GM if it was his decision but he lacked the authority to do so.

The Lions' 0-3 start this season stirred the groundswell for Millen's demise. The Lions have won only one playoff game and are an NFL-worst 31-84 since Millen took over in 2001. Millen has gone through three head coaches, none of whom have been able to turn the Lions into a winner.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10396
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck him. He made this awful mess and now we still have to put up with it for another 3-4 years before they can even hit .500.
He has done so much damage it is going to take years before it it undone.
I hope they got rid of the scouts (and after this year, Marinelli, Colleto and Berry) too!

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought you were playing...so our millen men march 3 yrs ago worked!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2638
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bout time.

Raptor56

Post Number: 502
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: "He probably did. It's not pleasant being someplace you aren't wanted."

If that was the case, he would have left 4 years ago.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7775
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY CLAP CLAP CLAP!

Finally Detroit Lions can move forward.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5041
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK & Millen in one week. The times they are achangin'.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7777
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sure is Mr. Lowell. Detroit doesn't need more empty promise folks.

For me I'm talent scout for in the U.S.B.C. Leagues. I have to look for very talented bowlers with over 120 league requirements for women and 150 for men. Make a agreement that they will bowl in one of the U.S.B.C. Leagues for jackpots and prizes, bowl and have fun.

Word for the Street Prophet

I'm five time U.S.B.C. league champion 1996, 2 in 2007 and 2 in 2008.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they need to Clean House..remove all scouts,coaches..Hire a real General Manager and a proven coach(Bill Cower)..If this is not done it is like putting a square peg into a round hole it doest not work or make sense.we are truly at the very bottom the only way to go is up...

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cowher would be a good coach. Maybe Joe Gibbs as GM?

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"KK & Millen in one week. The times they are achangin'."

Am I the only one that saw some major parallels between the City and the Lions??

I mean for the past couple years I have loved and rooted for the City only to be disappointed by negative outcomes. The same goes for the Lions. Now they are both on the new road to change.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

KK & Millen in one week. The times they are achangin'.

Tru indeed bro, tru indeed...

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions are the only team I know of that can make you cheer as loud as you've ever cheered, only to cry... All in the same play.

You're right Izzy, The city does have that same 'two steps fwd five steps back' thing going on.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibbs won't do it...he wants to focus on Racing...

Rumors are...a Ford Excursion full of cash was reported in front of Bill Cowher's home...the GPS was reportedly set for the Lions HQ...

Just speculating...but I WAS right yesterday when I broke the news...

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see its finally been done.

That being said, if there are more personall changes in the immediate future, then we can forget about salvaging anything from this season.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There wasn't much chance to salvage anything from this season now matter how you look at it. A rolling train wreck is how I look at it.

It would be fun to call Millen and just say into the phone, repeatedly, "How about now? Now? How about now?"

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5235
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Football prison? Does she mean the Lions or football in general?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/ news/story?id=3606294

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2590
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cowher isn't coming IMO, he has a nice cushy job right now. I could see him in Carolina or Washington but that is it.

Old man Ford has tried to hire Gibbs for decades offering bags of money and support for his racing team. Everytime a vacancy appeared he approached Gibbs, including when he hired Bobby Ross.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Singletary is an up and coming coach. He could help mold the defense. He was one of the best.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the ex gm of our tennessee titans, floyd reese would be a good one. he built the titans from what he had from the oilers, and did a great job. never knew why he left a few years ago, but he knows football. think the lions need a name for a coach, not someone who hasn't been tested and tried - and not someone with no nfl experience.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Les Miles! oops, wrong team.

Original63
Username: Original63

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
Am I the only one that saw some major parallels between the City and the Lions??

Hell no.
Check the numbers Detroit has been losing population constantly since about 1956 just about the time WCFord bought the team.

Detroit has been in a steady decline since WCF has been running the show.

Once in a while a nice car (Mustang) (Barry Sanders) but other than that layoffs (Losses)
a true straight line corelation

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

weird huh?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Firing Millen is not enough. William Clay Ford needs to fire himself. The Fords have bankrolled a losing franchise since they bought the team in the 60s. Forty years of futility for loyal Lions fans. The Fords need to sell the team and let someone else have a shot at bringing a winning program to Detroit. Until that happens, don't count on any significant change. The Lions will only disappoint you.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14152
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hilarious!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8857
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all those people that are calling for Bill Sr. to sell the team, it just isn't going to happen. Would you if you were in his situation? You've got a cash cow here in this town still making money for you hand over fist- why sell it off?

Now the call for him to step aside and let a much more competant passionate football man run the organization is much more prudent and likely to happen.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is a pic of my hubby...can't find any of myself...

Millen Man March 2005? I want to say? it seems so long ago!

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire the Ford's! Nothing will change until they sell the team to someone else.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8862
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrsjdaniels, looks like you hubby made the front page of the Detroit News online as well.

_sj_

Post Number: 2593
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anything, that march cemented Millen in place.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Fire the Ford's! Nothing will change until they sell the team to someone else."

That may be happening. Heard something last night.

Raptor56

Post Number: 509
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it the Fords as a family or just Ford Sr who is killing the team? For instance, if 83 year old William Clay Ford Sr kicks the bucket and passes the team on to Ford Jr, would the team still suck terribly, or would Jr maybe actually do something to improve it? Slightly morbid question, but worth the discussion.

Eastburntoo
Username: Eastburntoo

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DannyV,

WCF Sr. bought the team in 1956. In 1957 they won the whole shebang (Championship) and three games into the 1958 season WCF traded Bobbie Lane, our championship QB off to another team, (probably for some extra cash)and it's been a downhill slide ever since.

The Fords, (at least senior) have been making bonehead decisions like that ever since.

I don't know why they don't get the right people. If history serves me right, they paid $5 million for the team in 1956 and today, the franchise worth is around $81M. That's a handsome profit in anyone's books.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, yeah, that was a pic from the AP that the news used...the FreeP had some other pics too...and all you can see is my head!

get this...NFL Live on ESPN opened with him! He Tivo'd it and made me watch it 10 times!

3 years ago, seems like yesterday!

Raptor56

Post Number: 511
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastb: Ford Sr took possession of the Lions on Jan 10th, 1964. Please do not attribute the teams late 50's success to the Ford family.

http://www.detroitlions.com/do cument_display.cfm?cont_id=248 32

Eastburntoo
Username: Eastburntoo

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor, thanks for the link.......

_sj_

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He bought the team on the day JFK was shot and took control in 64. However he was part of the team ownership structure in the 50s. Hold titles such as director and president.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.