Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What is wrong with wayne state's biology dept/major? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it seems that every dissatisfied wayne state student came from the biology department. whenever i hear someone criticize wayne state university,i ask wha their major is and 9 times out of 10 it was biology.

Nuclearxwinter
Username: Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know... What exactly are they dissatisfied about?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor test spores?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7773
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU is still the top research university in the U.S. The Biology department is doing just fine. It's those folks playing race cards against a majority of students who came from India, Bangladesh, Sri Linka and Pakistan. Most students have to get along with them or change your major in which you all will be judged in the last days of life.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14125
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it be your sample is skewed Ladia?

Biology is tough to master, it is largely memorization...and obviously the track that medical students must take.

Who's to say it isn't just the first step of the filtering off of individuals who may NOT be able to handle the responsibilities of saving lives?

It seems every major has a course or two that is designed to filter away those who may just not have what it takes to master the eventual job...in engineering at the University of Michigan it is the Materials course.

All engineering majors complain about that one...you should hear what those who flunk out say about it!

Cheers!

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon is right - in psych, it was the statistics sequence. I can now appreciate what I learned, but it was the one we all complained about, and the one people were least likely to complete.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14134
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In re-reading the original post, Ladia seemed to complain about the entire DEPARTMENT though...I wonder if that is the case.

But seldom is a department such a direct feeder for a certain type of post-grad education as Biology...and it is pretty much the toughest thing to learn, since it IS mostly memorization of all the varieties of creation/evolution (depending upon your stance on that issue!)... and absolutely necessary for any medical science future.

Cheers!

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about the bio dept. but I know there's a local stigma against Wayne St. in the education dept.

when i was getting ready to teach, my cooperating teacher (the teacher's whose room in would student teach in) said that she was concerned when she saw that i got my teaching credential, but then saw that i did my undergrad work at EMU and figured i was OK (she was an EMU grad herself)

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am currently a student at UDM,and alot of the students who come over from wayne state came from the biology department.If someone says they didn't like wayne state,or tired of biology ,they usually come from wayne state.usually they change their majors to something else at other schools though.one lady said she didn't like the area wayne state is where she 'had to walk around with bums in the street',and on top of that she said that wayne state didn't give her enough core classes, mainly all bio,she just said she was interested in medicine or health and they put her in bio.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.