Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Urban Bean Co. Weathering The Storm? « Previous Next »
Archive through September 24, 2008Gannon30 09-24-08  2:34 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 678
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear the benefit will also be selling asparagus from Stach Inn and there will be no foul langauge allowed.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, I would ask you to try and think back to when Cafe de Troit was open and how negative comments affected Lee. She ran a great business and was so kind to everyone, and Jjaba comes by once, buys a bagel and complains about how stale it was, and from there on out that was what she was known for. Even though Jjaba did not disclose that he bought the bagel from the day-old pile.

Do you remember how that bothered her so much? When running a business is so taxing already, do people really need to see their hard work reduced to a few negative flippant comments that focus on minutae and not the big picture?

What about when the Slows bashing began? Forumer Slows could not keep up with the rebuttals to trivial complaints - some people have day jobs - and when he stopped responding people acted like his lack of response was an implicit acknowledgement of their validity.

When Mezzanine was ready to open the biggest response was "we don't need a high end furniture store downtown, we need dollar stores and places that cater to the income level of the residents" (thanks detroitplanner). Was I to spend time I should be using to get open and get paying customers in the store rebutting and explaining and justifying, or was I better off just leaving it to fizzle out? How do I recover the emotional energy to stay enthused when some people seem intent on letting the air out of my tires?

I was talking to a new business owner this weekend, and he was saying how he wasn't even open yet and people on here were bashing him and making unfounded assumptions about his business and intentions. And it really does bring you down. My advice to him was to stop reading anything that came up here about his business, and focus on what really matters, running a good business.

It is really, really hard to have your own business, in Detroit or elsewhere. A forum that is ostensibly about raising Detroit up seems to spend a lot of time bringing businesses down. And I'd guess that is why Blondy is frustrated with this thread - we've all seen so many times the way this can go.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been in there a couple times. I do buy things there.

Blondy, this wasn't my intent at all.

I shouldn't have started this topic, and apologize. Please don't leave DYES because of something stupid I did. I'm still learning I guess. I'd rather me leave, then you... if there is really issue. You have done much more, and contributed much more than I have... and probably ever will be able to. Your Open City group really has saved me in the recent past, and I owe you a lot (I all but promised some members that I would be there for the rest of the future meetings. I only missed the last because of the PAC rain out).

I am really sorry about all this. I didn't mean things the way you took them.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hipster that is life. This board is diverse, and not everyone is going to like you, or what you do.

Keep the critiques comments close, but don't take them to heart.

However, here... something totally different could have happened.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've stopped by more than a dozen times in the past two months at various times of day.

It was open exactly once. There was no cream for the coffee.

I will support his business when he is ready to make a serious run at being an option for people who wish to buy coffee.

Blondy and D4H... you're businesses are great assets to the city, and your commitment to success is obvious. I've never bashed a Detroit business, especially one that is independently owned and operated, but when it comes to a coffee shop, reliable hours are one of the few requirements for success.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 826
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Gannon, I would ask you to try and think back to when Cafe de Troit was open and how negative comments affected Lee. She ran a great business and was so kind to everyone, and Jjaba comes by once, buys a bagel and complains about how stale it was, and from there on out that was what she was known for. Even though Jjaba did not disclose that he bought the bagel from the day-old pile. "

I don't remember that -- it must have been during one of the years I wasn't around very much. How rude and wrong! I patronized Lee's business until I moved to Ann Arbor for graduate school, and hated when she closed. I've got so many stories about that place. It was my fave downtown coffee and sandwich shop during my last DPS teaching years, and there's nothing in that spot to replace it.

The only Detroit business I badmouth is Baker's Keyboard Lounge, and that's because they were so horrible to me & my friend six years ago -- but they aren't a startup. They were here long before me, and they're still thriving. I've had a few bad experiences with startups in downtown & elsewhere around the region, but I stay mum about any bad experiences. With a new local business, I feel like a proud auntie, wanting the little baby to grow up. BKL can take the knocks... they can't.

For what it's worth, the food, drink & ambiance downtown is 100% better than here in my college town. I miss not having the bar and restaurant options up here for "people like me".

(Message edited by English on September 24, 2008)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 877
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't we all?

Rjlj

Post Number: 679
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the lesson here, Detroit business marketing 101, this forum does more harm than good.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I think everyone needs to take a step back and chill. There is no reason to so bent out of shape slur others names or any of that its just too much. Josh is a good guy with a great business plan, the location and hours are a bit of an issue but I know how hard opening a business can be and lets not go overboard. Detroite that post is grounds for termination so I would remove it if I were you... You only have 33 post and do not hold much weight on here. That just crosses the line.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroite, NO SHES NOT! I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Open City, or Blondy. Please take that back!?

Moderators, help please!

Blondy... and everyone else... please, remember that things started moving faster once all Detroiters started working together. No matter how much I annoy you... whatever, just don't let anyone divide everyone.

We're having problems right now, because many started to separate (the poor economy is not the reason).

To many dedicated soldiers on DYES are no longer here... some aren't even with us. We can't afford this garbage.

Blondy... I'll leave, if it's necessary. You stay, please?

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 997
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroite sounds like a bitter, snubbed ex-lover... your post will get you banned. Buh-bye!

The internet today has brought communication and information to entirely new levels. The ability of anyone to spread information (correct or incorrect) is easy and tremendous! Just see how it is used in Politics, today.

Now, take that power and put it on a local "grass roots" level. It will quickly raise or ruin ANY small business! There in lies the problem. I have adamantly stated in the past that feedback to ANY business owner is vital and necessary, but NOT ON THIS FORUM! I have asked numerous times in the past that criticisms and complaints about local businesses are best addressed when taken directly to the owners.

I absolutely agree with Rjlj, Blondy and DialH on this issue, however I feel the usage of this forum as a discussion about businesses CAN be valuable, but so many people love to bad mouth and complain and nit-pick that is becomes quickly counter productive. Untruths become truths and suddenly a caring and active business owner is ruined.

Sorry, it has happened so often here and that has always been my complaint.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit duo, people are going to give you negative feedback on forums like this. You can't stop it, so it might be wise to accept it. Turn weakness and problems into opportunities and advantages.

Knowing this, I was trying to get it rolling to the positive end, and out of the negative black hole that was made.

"Stopping the movie (medium) isn't going to stop that".

Detroitduo

Post Number: 998
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, that is exactly my point. Even when someone is trying to do something positive, the people who have a bone to pick or are negative for whatever reason (or sometimes NO reason) will ruin it, just as this one has been ruined. But I completely know it cannot be stopped. I only ask that posters be more thoughtful and positive about their criticism, but that can't be controlled either.

On this topic, I agree that hours of operation are vital. I am sure the owner of this business has his reasons, but it is unacceptable. It is a basic business necessity. If people have told the owner about this, then it is his problem to fix. For me, personally, I LOVE the coffee here and try to stop by when I can. I have never had a bad experience there and I like the place. I hope the owner can work out his problems, whatever they are, so he can maintain basic open hours. I think once that happens, the rest is minor.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This wasn't gossiping, this was action. I think she just took it the wrong way.

Either way, I won't do it again, for a good while. Maybe you guys could explain this better to me at Open City... If I'm still invited.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean,

No hard feelings, it’s all good. Spend your money at small Detroit based businesses, the same will come back to you.

Just spend all your time working as hard as you can on your own business and don’t worry about other peoples, or what other people think of you.

Josh has his own thing going on, let him do his thing as he wishes and you do yours, and I will do mine, as I wish.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, I know I've poked at you on occasion, but I can feel your anguish here and I think you should quit beating yourself up.

You didn't do anything wrong.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets be proactive instead of reactive. So what we know is that we are talking about a business man who has started something that could be great but has some kinks to work out as all businesses do. At the same time it is best to really make those comments to see if we can help improve things instead of bad mouthing one another for nothing. We should be greatful to all business owners that are willing to take risk an open within the city limits. For instance I am not a fan of cindy warner's but I choose not to air dirty laundry publicly if I had a beef I would go to the source not post annonymously and get up on my high horse. No need, if you choose not to support a business it is every bit your right but your personal beefs with individuals have no place on this forum.

Rjlj

Post Number: 680
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors, what is wrong with the location of Urban Bean Co.? That is an excellent location and this not just an opinion. Do you have any idea as to what the future of that area is?

This topic needs to be completely deleted and Sean_of_detroit should go to the business and ask the owner himself how business is going.

(Message edited by rjlj on September 25, 2008)

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 425
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This topic needs to be completely deleted and Sean_of_detroit should go to the business and ask the owner himself how business is going."

Tell me about it. Again, the armchair quarterbacks who know all trying to solve all Detroit and its business' problems via the internet. Behold: the power of the forum. Yeah.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14188
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Behold, the power of bitterness.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2280
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Gannon, that's exactly it.

The talk gets irritating after a while.

By the way, hope you can stop in to check out the store before we hit the two-year mark.

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too have attempted to visit the UBC and it was indeed closed during posted business hours. Although, I was a little disappointed, I can definitely understand the frustration of someone who has attempted to go on several ocassions and experienced the same thing repeatedly!

I know first hand that it is hard to be a small business owner and have a life outside your business, but the last thing that you ever want to do is not be open your posted hours of operation!!

When I was in college I decided that I wanted to open a small boutique near the campus of the school that I attended because I had always wanted to have my own business. I didn't really know much about running a business and it was my first run at entrepreneurship!! I was so excited about having my own business that I was running myself ragged. I was 22 years old, going to school full time and running my own store...with not much help! There were many days when I just couldnt make it to the store to open up, and I believe to this day that it affected my business significantly.

One day, an older gentleman and neighboring business owner that had been at the same location over 10 years, came into the store while I was there and gave me some very valuable advice. He said that if I am going to do this and do this right, that I should manage my time more efficiently and decide where my priorities lie. He said that if I could only be there on weekends...say that! If I could only be there in the evenings...say that! But, by no means should I ever mislead my customers into thinking I will be open when I'm not!! People support people they trust, and respect and customer loyalty is the ultimate goal...and it only takes one person that had a bad experience to tell 7 more people, and exponentially give me a bad rep!!

I think that Detroiters are very forgiving and quick to defend people and businesses that don't necessarily deserve it! I wish a forum like this was around back then because I would have definitely used this as a resource, and taken the constructive critism to get my shyt together!

My lessons were learned through, trial and error, and a few classes on entrepreneurship, business etiquette, leadership, and customer service. I assume this guy will learn his lessons too, unfortunately the hard way, but nonetheless. We should start requiring a higher standard from our Detroit based small business owners, and give them the type of support they need. Not just by patronizing the business but, by giving them feedback and constructive criticism that will inevitably help them to grow!! I come across many small businesses in the D that should probably not be in business, Customer Service is major problem in these parts!!

So with all that said my advice is...

JUST POST THE HOURS THAT YOU CAN BE THERE OR HIRE SOMEONE THAT CAN!!!!!

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Behold the power of self-restraint, common sense, rational thoughts and coherent sentences.

Gannon

Post Number: 14191
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial,

I was trying to write a decent enough reply to your last post, it got too late (or too early!) and I chose to wait until morning. Pretty subtle...two years huh? Heh, sorry I've not stopped in. I've got this thing about shopping, I will be frustrated beyond belief once I DO drop by...from your website alone everything I see in every damn corner of your shop I'll lust after...and without any funding through this damn extended sabbatical it might be too unsettling for me!

I remember the Cafe de Troit situation all reasonably well.

You cannot compare something like YOUR store...which by design caters to those with greater style and taste...with a simple coffeeshop. You chose to be on the second floor, against all standard retail 'logic' and advice because you KNEW that alone would act as a 'filter' to shave off the time-wasters. People have to find you, and I'd bet you have a tremendously greater percentage of buyers versus lookers because of that. Exactly what you wanted. Plus, the risk of smash-n-grabs is all but eliminated, lest the Nephilim come through town. (sorry, bad Bible reference)

Lee could've handled Jjaba with one sentence, and if I remember correctly...SHE did. But it lingered, true, as much as the unforgiveness against his transgression, from MANY of her fans, admirers, and advisors. I would argue that the ONLY reason it lingered is because THEY chose to not let it go.

There were other considerations that drove business down for her during that time frame, mostly due to the lingering construction of the YMCA...even just the amazing number of times they had to shut down the street, and also the gas or water because they damaged something a block away. It got stupid for a while.

Then she had that parking meter stalker, waiting for anyone to dare park in front of her joint...and a landlord from hell...the deck stacked against her due to that doubled opening cost (undoubtedly due to the corruption in town and a builder playing the game on her).

Everyone took Jjaba's stale remark quite harshly, because I'd guess the criticism came from such a strong forum personality...and I think he was joking, if very poorly. (although most of the Jewish people I know seem never happy with the bagels they're served, anywhere, outside that joint up on Greenfield at I-696!)

Nah, I ain't buying it. Of course you need to focus on running your business, but if you ignore complaints that build to a trend...you risk missing something that will attract and keep more clients.

Verbal complaints one-on-one are necessary, but often if someone is unhappy...they simply won't bother with the possible confrontation and will vote with their feet. Plus, not everyone is good at verbal communication...

No business owner has to babysit the forum, but they would do very well for themselves to address the criticisms clearly when they arrive in any fashion...because they are usually NOT negatives, even if they originally sound that way!

It is like politically correct speech, the hearer has as much or MORE responsibility of handling what the deliverer sends...all they need to do is first respond with a clarification. Something like, "What I hear you saying, Jjaba, is that you expect the bagels in our day-old bin to somehow magically remain fresh, yet allow you to still enjoy the discount, is that what you're saying?!"

In Josh's case, it would sound like, "What I hear you saying, EVERYONE, is that you expect me to be open when I say I'll be, EVERY time you choose to drop in?!"

Can you see the difference?

It cannot take much time to follow one thread...how tough would it be to possibly be, um, PROACTIVE in this regard and make either a public feedback thread on the businesses OWN website...or one here? NOT a promotion thread, as so many are wont to do...but rather as a feedback loop.

(I abhor Detroite's comments to the nth degree, Blondy does not deserve any of that at all!)

There seems to be a thread about a business opening weekly, either by a fan or friend of the owner...all it would take would be an invite from the owner to share folk's experiences and then watch the fun. I do NOT see any thread recently where a business owner was criticized before they opened, how long ago was that?

This forum is SO much better than merely relying on the Restaurant or Retail Newspaper Critic who's word is sacrosanct...who might've had a bad day, or came in on an off day for the staff, or might just be an asshole with unreachable expectations. In my experience, oftentimes they are elevated to some minor godhood status by folks, and since their comments are largely unchallengable they wield way too much power. HERE? The comments can be publicly dealt with, which can ONLY be a good thing, as long as they are resolved or explained. The minor ones will be dealt with by the interested bystanders, like they are now.

One of the few exceptions, actually, might be with people who are not bigtime computer users...they might not be good written communicators, either. I'm pretty sure that is a part of Josh's thing...he has told me in the past he cannot be bothered by it. That is perfectly valid, and those who support him chime in here with his defense.

Enough for this damn novella, sorry for the many words...yanno I try to get precisely around a thing.

Cheers

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5046
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rest assured that the abusive post and poster are gone. Thanks to the several of you who reported it.

Beatsworking describe the situation best...

"Hey everybody... meet Web 2.0."

As someone who deals with my customers occasionally getting unfairly beat up [probably by competitors] on places like TripAdvisor, the lesson to be learned is counter them, protest them, and monitor the web for responses.

Sure some initial damage is done, but almost always the posts are removed upon protest and usually a flood of supportive posts rise to the defense. We have seen it in this thread.

I do find it amusing that when someone get stung they will think nothing of bashing this forum with even more virulence then they got. However, when praise arises we rarely hear a word thanks.

This forum has been instrumental in the launch several businesses and was even cited in Crain's for being used in the successful build up to and launch of Slow's. But the openness of the web is such that along with the accolades and praise will come the slings and arrows of those [usually a tiny minority] who were not satisfied. Somehow those pipsqueaks always seem to get magnified.

We walk a thin line between trying to be supportive, particularly of City of Detroit, businesses and keeping the forum with its audience of tens of thousands from blatantly or subtly being used for shameless free advertising. When we see post 1 being an advertisement or a trashing of a business, the alarm goes off. When is post 1000 it hardly draws a blink. One has to give to get and put.

By the same token, this forum will not allow any unfair bashing of a business and doing so has led to removal such topics upon discovery or protest and, on rare occasionb, the poster as well. It has also usually resulted in a flurry of supportive posts and denials of the offending post.

As a small business owner I am sensitive to this. I do not know the facts of DUBC, I hope visit it and wish for its success, but I do know this: You better do what you say in business or your credibility will go down the tubes very quickly. There have been too many instance cited here to overlook this. If DUBC can't meet its promises, that starts with its hours of operation, then it needs to be proactive with good excuses and apologies. Your customers may have spent a half hour driving to your business, paid for parking only to be met with a closed door. Not only have you lost their business, you may have created a pissed-off enemy. That will kill a business like nothing I know.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjlj,

I know that it will be a great location, that area has so much potential I want to cry, but the fact of the matter is is that untill rosa parks opens it is not likely to be patronized by passer bys in the CBD because it is somewhat tucked away. I have heard things about Detroit Pizza Factory both on here and off and unfortunately his patronization of UBC has negatively effected UBC. Its a great space no doubt and location will be great, but at the moment does suffer from its location. Thats just my opinion. I have talked with Josh early on and he has told me that the plan is to eventually be 24/7 but at the moment he just can't do it. I don't know why he hasn't changed his hours, or even if he has I wish him the best and as good experiences happen and word continues to spread his business will be a huge success.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't aimed at anybody above. I get where they are coming from. Yeah, I shouldn't be offering suggestions or help to people who don't ask for it.

I really am just sick of places going under, and things/projects never getting done. I figured the answer was in giving others a push forward, in addition to just being another customer. You're right though, we just have to sit back and watch each other fail.

It's the only way most really learn...

Food for thought PS: Some of the problems might have already been fixed, from what I've seen. This was going to be a way to make sure. Rjlj is right, this is the third time this has happened. My mistake, I didn't realize it until now.

Mortgageking

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In other news... Urban Bean was jumping around 11:00pm last night; didn't look like they were drinking coffee.

Looked like fun.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out this link; http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20080810/SUB/231204132/ 1115

Blondy, we're doing the exact same thing. The difference is that you are filling in the gaps, and I am trying to make sure your other plate keeps spinning while you start the next one.

Your telling me not to do what you are doing... right?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out this link; http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20080810/SUB/231204132/ 1115

Blondy, we're doing the exact same thing. The difference is that you are filling in the gaps. I am trying to make sure your other plate keeps spinning while you start the next one.

Your telling me not to do what you are doing... right?

Gannon

Post Number: 14647
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm on a whole new tack now...after meeting up with Erik_d for lunch today, which turned out to be Foran's...I got stuck in the maze they made out of downtown between the Marathon and some curiously-timed curb cementing, and found myself driving by Josh's joint.

THE moment I saw it open, I realized that I can NEVER, EVER pass him by if I've got three dollars in my pocket and the time and inclination to get some espresso.

Jumped in, he gave me a small ovation, then I proceeded to have a chat with two really, really cool people...Molly and John from Lafayette Park...and I realized why I love Josh and his vision SO much.

I've met some of the absolute coolest people in the whole city in his periphery...and most of them in his coffeehouse.

So, I'm going for positive reinforcement instead...in such a major way he won't be able to ignore it.

Each and every time I see him open, I'm spending what little money I have with him.

Major cheers to everyone who reads this!

(especially to those who disagree with me)

Bearinabox

Post Number: 951
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban Bean is open today? Whew. I hadn't seen it open in a while, and I got "this line has been disconnected" when I tried to call there on Thursday, so I was getting worried. I try to stop by as often as possible, but I haven't seen it open very much lately, and I'm in Capitol Park on a fairly regular basis.

Gannon

Post Number: 14648
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya Bear, Josh had other difficulties and was closed excessively, in the past month, due to them...which've all passed now, so we can expect him to be around much more. Well beyond his control...nothing more be said.

He didn't apologize, that's not his way, but the fact that HE brought it up is as close as to it as I would expect. Guy's got thicker skin than a Rhino, but a heart three times as large.

He knows the troubles his hours give everyone and is doing his best to get cashflow to the point that he can have staff on hand to cover when he simply cannot be there for us.

Like I said, I'm now doing what I can to help that cashflow. I'm opening five businesses over the next year, and I would not mind people thinking the same for those who work with me.

Cheers

Bearinabox

Post Number: 953
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to know. I'll keep stopping by.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why?

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 597
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had a mobile stand down at the Eastern Market yesterday. They had a constant steam of customer. Hopefully they'll remain a fixture down there.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mobile stand in Eastern Market is Urban Grounds, the coffee shop is Urban Bean Co. Both are great, both are Detroit based, but they are different.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed many times people's comments are very fickle when discussing a business opening,closing, operating in Detroit. One minor bad experience should not be slammed, sometime business owners or employees have bad days.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, customers in general are unforgiving... But why should they be? But regardless, it appears that this owner recognizes there is a problem and is doing what he can to fix it. I wanted to bump this, so the people who are still willing to give him a chance, second or otherwise, see he is still struggling. His product is excellent, even it his hours are inconsistent.

Gannon

Post Number: 14677
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers, I took my first hit of espresso at home, but I'll wander outside for my next fix today.

I can already tell it's a magnified caffeine-needin' sort of day...

Mortgageking

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UBC was not open this morning at 10:30.

Gannon

Post Number: 14764
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spoke with Josh last night, there are some things in the works for early mornings. Keep an eye out, and he will notify everyone here...probably through me.

It may take another week or so.

Cheers

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers!

Hey, if he actually cares that we were (or I was) talking about his business... well, tell him it's only 'cause I/we care. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.