Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » The Sun Shone for Our Spirit's Birthday Party « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14090
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a great turnout for the Spirit of Detroit's re-dedication ceremony and birthday celebration this afternoon.

The party opened with the percussion section from the Cass Tech marching band, then went into a small children's choir (I missed where they were from, sorry) that had the entire crowd smiling with both their song selection and knock-out performance.

I saw more smiles per foot in this celebration than ever before in any gathering downtown...talked with a few folk who agreed the city has pent-up desire and hope that should be unleashed now that we're in this next chapter.

My musical buddy Tarayl showed up...then complained that the Mayor's speech was too short. I thought it was perfect...everything was so cool, at least until I had to hear Monica Conyers drone on.

I've got to get the images off my camera...which'll take some time...but hopefully I caught some of the energy in this gathering.

Cheers

Gannon

Post Number: 14091
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooooh...SgtCreative's pics of the main stage are WAY better'n mine.

I was on the median observing the whole group...teevee cameras were all in my way for a full stage shot.

Gannon

Post Number: 14095
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 4 reports only 'dozens' of people at this rally.

Bullshit!

Don't know when they did their count, but just before twelve I counted over two hundred...stopped when the young officer asked me to come down from my perch on the island.

I wonder if they counted before everyone's lunchtime started...there is a huge difference between 'dozens' and over two hundred smiling hopeful people cheering on both our Spirit AND our new leader.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 962
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, they must have read your post. The article now says: "over 300".

Gannon

Post Number: 14099
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh...thanks!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the event and my guess would be about 250-300 people. It was quite a lunch time gathering.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish my company would move back downtown. I really feel like I'm missing out on all these lunch time activities. heck I'd love to just pack a lunch and walk down to Campus Martius to eat on the grass every day. Apparently the company outgrew it's downtown digs in the early 70's and moved out to 5 acre warehouse/office in Madison Heights.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.