Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Through your own lens... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's this fable about 3 blind men and an elephant. They all argue about the nature of the elephant (long and skinny like the trunk vs. tall and wide like the foot, etc.) Of course, they're all correct.

We all see the world through the filter of our own lenses, and depending on how we spend our time, where we spend it, who we spend it with, how we think about our experiences, and what kind of meaning we attach to them....we all have our own unique worldview.

And of course, like the blind men and the elephant, they're all "correct" based on our individual experiences.

I'd like to get to know you all better by asking one simple question: Do you experience Detroit as "getting better"? or "getting worse"?

Write a whole diatribe if you want or a one-word answer. Or write nothing at all. All I ask is that this not turn into a debate. Like I said, we're all coming to this elephant we call Detroit from our own unique place. And of course, if you're 85 years old, the recent revival of the city is but a tiny bounce in comparison to the gradual decline across 2 generations. If you're 30, you grew up with homes burning on Devil's night. So, hell...we're a lot better off now than then.

For me:
Getting Better.
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me, it's getting better. My view is very skewed, maybe. I seem to see beauty in potential, and often, what glitters is not really all that great.

Go check out Model D... neighborhoods are finally getting some of that fresh air too!

PS Edit: Has Detroit ever really done bad? I mean figure in the situation, and how much the odds are stacked against us. Considering what everyone is up against, almost every day around here... yes Detroit is doing great!

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on September 23, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.