Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Portland's long road to regionalism « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 383
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting article...the seeds of regionalism are being planted. Lots of obstacles for sure, especially in the political arena. But there are glimmers of hope. Hopefully they bloom sooner than later. And just for you, Mortalman, it's light on the "cutting edge, profit- maximization lexicon" :-)

quote:

was reminded that no matter how we view ourselves in this region, if you live within fifty hundred miles of Campus Martius, to the rest of the world you are a Detroiter before you are anything else. Point to any part of southeastern Michigan on a map and it's Detroit for someone from Paris, or Port-au-Prince or Phnom Penh or even Portland. It's that pure and simple.

quote:

Every day we should work to promote Detroit. Improve it. Because in a global marketplace, Detroit, in as broad a way as can be defined, has to be as strong and as coherent as possible if we hope to survive and prosper.

------------------------------ ---------
http://modeldmedia.com/feature s/portland16108.aspx

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Portland is one of the most progressive cities in America. If it wasn't for the weather, I'd be living there now.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 632
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also enjoyed WSU law student Francis Grunow's report on Model D. So much to admire about the Rose City:
* "I took the MAX light rail service downtown from the airport, where I had a free transfer to a local bus. . . . The trip cost $2.05"
* "One of the more mundane things I enjoyed while in Portland was catching a few movies at one of several first-run theaters downtown."
But this portion of the top photo doesn't make downtown look bike-friendly . . . at least not where streetcars run:
x
Great move calling attention to this essay, YoungProfessionalDetroiter

Cas
Username: Cas

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interestingly enough, when my family and I relocated from the Detroit area in '03 we moved to Portland. We lived there for two years before we made a couple more moves and ended up where we are now: San Diego. In those five years away from Detroit I realized that I loved Detroit for what it was and for what it could be. I even love it for what it is. It's the "could be" that really gets to me, though, and Portland is the very reason I am able to see the canvas that Detroit truly is.

Next month my family and I are again relocating. This time it's to escape from the insanely high cost of living here in SoCal (specifically, North County San Diego) and so I can finally actuate a career change from the networking field I once occupied and shift it to the culinary arts. I firmly believe in the power of locally sourced foods to electrify, or even jump start, the revival of cities. I think Portland is a model city for this and this is why we're going back there.

My wife and I have actually sat down and tried to figure out exactly what we can learn in Portland over the next couple years to bring back to Detroit. We're looking at all options from my own forthcoming culinary education to learning how to destroy the "snooty food" line that divides chains from locally owned (and, in Detroit's case, struggling) restaurants to guerilla marketing of regional farms and advertising where YOUR food comes from. It's all about pride in what Detroit and the state of Michigan at large has to offer to everyone who lives there. Portland has successfully made food of all types readily affordable to most people. Sure, there are expensive restaurants, but you can't beat the fact that in Portland you are made to feel that the food from Oregon belongs to you and you should savor every moment that it is in season. What it boils down to in the end is that the local economy is supported all the while fostering a sense of local pride - and pride does amazing things to creativity and drive.

Before I get too long-winded, I'll end this here. Yeah, I see clearly what the article talks about in Detroit and I'm so glad that others do, too. I hope that my family and I (my 13 year-old especially) can take this dream and sprout it in our old digs. I'll be watching how everything turns out over the next two years and gauge what we can do when we do come back home.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cas, I love what you said, 'I loved Detroit for what it was and what it could be. I even love it it for what it is'. When I lived a great distance away from Detroit, I felt the same and couldn't wait to visit home. I still feel the same but I have problems with people who can't stomach any criticism of the city, or, those who do nothing but criticize. It's a balancing act. Having been in similar situations, I think you and I might agree, that you have to enjoy Detroit day to day, all the other BS aside. Detroit, for all of it's negative image and huge problems is a great city day to day. I'm not bringing anything else into this conversation. Just Detroit.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sorta like Dorothy's line in Jerry McGuire:

Dorothy: And oh, I don't know if you're interested in this detail, but I was just about to tell you that I love him. I love him, and I don't care what you think. I love him for the man he wants to be, and I love him for the man he almost is. I love him.

Hear that Detroit???

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detour, cool. Good laugh. Seriously, I liked it.

Cas

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's exactly right.

There's a sea of difference between being critical and being negative. In raising my two girls, I am critical but never negative because it's the negativity that is stunts their growth. The same could be said about Detroit for sure.

I am thrilled with hearing news about the refurbishing of the Book-Cadillac and how Michael Symon has decided to open Roast at the foot of the building. I'm inspired by Symon because of his culinary involvement in reviving an area of Cleveland that was left for the vultures. Hopefully Roast will be successful. But, I think Detroiters or Michiganians need to step up to do the same and I hope to educate myself in Portland as to how Portland did this with their emphasis on food. Anyone who's visited or lived there knows that Portlanders love their food and take a massive pride in it - this can be developed in Detroit (aside from the beloved White Castles and Coneys) and I hope to be one of the people to at the very least help it out.

We've made several attempts over the last few years to move back, but various reasons (mostly economic) have kept us at bay. We've reached a point where we realize that we have to return on our own terms and, while doing it, bring something useful back with us. I'm crossing my fingers that this'll happen!

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cas, good luck. I don't know how much you're affected by this economy. I'd suggest it's a tough time to return. You know your situation better than anyone. I'm considering moving to other places simply because the economy is so bad here. I'd prefer to keep my place, it's my dream home, and spend part of the year elsewhere. Time will tell.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 388
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'd suggest it's a tough time to return. You know your situation better than anyone. I'm considering moving to other places simply because the economy is so bad here.

I take a different tack on this...Metro Detroit's a horrible a economy if you're (1) selling a house, (2) searching for a job in some of the beaten down sectors. It's an INCREDIBLE economy if you're (1) buying a house, (2) hiring employees, especially if your sources of revenue are outside of Michigan or manufacturing. Bad for sellers, great for buyers. Dunno about taxes, though. Not sure how Oregon taxation and Michigan differ. I do know that you'd be buying homes for 50-75 cents on the dollar, depending on what/where you're looking...

(Message edited by youngprofessionaldetroiter on September 24, 2008)

Cas

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree. While Portland is a great deal cheaper than the San Diego area, one of the reasons that we do want to return to Detroit is because we want to be in a place where owning a home can be a reality. It's just a bonus that our home is a place that allows for this and we can try to make it back.

This is why I said that I'll be watching over the next two years or so (most likely perusing this board amongst other less mainstream sources) to get a genuine feel of what is happening in Detroit. It's important to me, of course, to provide a stable living situation for my family. This is paramount. But, in doing so, I also want to give to my community and do whatever I can for the city of Detroit to improve it. I think it takes the ability to assess the present and the next few days, so to speak, but also look at the future of the city twenty or even fifty years down the line. This is how progression works. With enough people thinking this way, a wave of business owners, artists, and cooperative city institutions can completely overhaul not just physically the city (the Detroit architecture MUST remain...it's some of the most beautiful in America) as a whole , but to mentally morph Detroit's view of itself as a post-rust belt city.

And, y'know, sometimes I sit back and wonder if all this thought just goes to waste and is just idealistic blather. Yet, when I read accounts of places like Portland (or live there to experience it), it gives me hope for Detroit. It's of utmost importance to uphold and bolster Detroit's worth and unique identity, but it doesn't hurt to learn from where things have worked elsewhere to bring it home, eh?

Yeah. I'm crossing my fingers for good luck, too.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do enjoy Portland, with thier fully comprehensive public transit system, thier super-green city, and healthy way of life. Let's not give the city too much credit however, much of it is a result of the state. Oregon has tough land use policies, city growth boundaries, and the state has left 80% of it's land as public use. If you have ever been to Portland you can see the difference clearly if you compare the Portland suburbs of Gresham and Beaverton to it's northern suburb of Vancouver WA (which is hard to get to without a car last I checked).

One of Michigan's flaws in regionalism is the absence of the state to help promote it.

And Cas, move back to Detroit, it is starting to become the place Portlanders move to because of the same realization you have. Also we have a ton of urban gardens, cheap housing (the downside to Oregon's growth boundaries is property values are a lot greater making it hard for young adults to move there), and substantial business potential.

Cas

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do find it ultimately strange that the state falls flat on its face in promoting itself. Sure, I've seen the recent commercials with Jeff Daniels. I've also seen news bits about Governor Granholm traveling abroad to bring business to Michigan. However, these things are really nothing new, although they generate excitement. I hardly think that any sort of regionalism movement will be started in earnest by the state or even local governments. It's up to us (er...or you all) to do this.

There are other aspects to our move to Portland (my elderly mom is there in Gresham and she wants some grandkid time, etc.) but in lieu of this, the ultimate goal is to move back to Detroit and I'll be damn glad when it does happen. I'm just hard up to organize and move things well before I hit I-94 East coming from Chicago. Networking, networking, networking.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.