Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » R.I.P detroituncovered.com « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 592
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Officer to discontinue popular 'Detroit Uncovered' Web site

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080921/M ETRO/809210336/1361

Paul Egan / The Detroit News
DETROIT -- Police officer John K. Bennett says he plans to discontinue his popular "Detroit Uncovered" Web site.

"My work here is done," Bennett said in a weekend posting on his site, noting the recent departures of two public figures harshly criticized, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings.

"This has been fun but it's time to move on."

Bennett's site began anonymously in 2002 as firejerryo.com, mainly a forum for criticism of then Detroit police chief Jerry Oliver, a Kilpatrick appointee.

Oliver resigned in 2003 and the Web site evolved into a broader critique of the Kilpatrick administration and the management of the police department under Oliver's successor, Bully-Cummings.

While linking to news stories in Detroit's dailies and the local electronic media, Bennett's site also became a source of news tips and ideas for the city's journalists.

Oliver put Bennett on unpaid leave in July 2003 and recommended his dismissal over the Web site that September. The Detroit Board of Police Commissioners adopted the recommendation, based on Bennett's alleged misconduct, neglect of duty and conduct unbefitting an officer.

But in 2004, a Michigan Employment Relations Commission administrative law judge found the city violated the Public Employment Relations Act by ordering Bennett to shut down the Web site, rather than negotiating over specific postings that may have violated departmental policies.

Last December, the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled the city violated Bennett's free speech rights when it fired him over the Web site.

Bennett, who has announced his candidacy for The Detroit City Council in 2009, returned to work in February.

Gary Brown, the former deputy chief of Detroit police whose whistle-blower lawsuit against the city led to Kilpatrick's downfall, said Sunday he will miss Bennett's Web site.

"John did an outstanding job of keeping Detroiters informed," Brown said. "At the same time, I think it's time to end it. The mission that he started out with has been accomplished."

Brown said he supports Bennett's political candidacy and "I hope he'll bring some of the same tenacity he used on his Web site to his job at City Council."

Kilpatrick announced his resignation Sept. 4 when he pleaded guilty to two felony obstruction of justice charges related to his testimony at Brown's whistle-blower trial. Bully-Cummings announced her retirement the same day.

Bennett, who could not immediately be reached late Sunday, is asking visitors to his Web site whether he should sell it, shut it down, or bring it back later.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6440
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Detroit Police Now Ticketing Speeders??

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6265
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How unfortunate. It was easily more insightful and informative than any of the two dailies, to be honest. It'd be great if another insider wanted to take something like this on.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was on Detroit Uncovered today:

quote:

The website was set to take a bow this week but we agreed to a request by former Mayor Dennis Archer that we keep the site going for another 45 days until after the Presidential election. After that we will place the site on hiatus for a undetermined amount of time. Though the website itself will soon take a bow you can still access the blog to share your thoughts or e-mail me with the scoop.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 625
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have so much respect for the people of this city who have endured so much in order to get the word out.

Hutt
Username: Hutt

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great website! I would be nice to keep it going.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 627
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be great to keep it running, but I know nothing of web sites. Plus, we wouldn't have Mr. Bennett's contacts.

He did all of us a wonderful service.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.