Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Flag of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to propose the commercialization of the flag of Detroit. I have been to tourist shops in New York, Montreal, and Chicago and all have giant or small flags of their respective cities on sale. If I could fly the flag of Detroit outside my home I would, but alas I do not know where to buy one.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3214
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call American Flag & Banner in Clawson - they might have them or could get it for you. Phone number is on this link.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-16 112318-american-flag-banner-co -incorporated-clawson

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive never seen such a design but would like to. An official one should be created. A design thats been accepted by a group of artists involved in Detroit and voted on by peers. Ive never seen or heard of a NYC Flag or for any other city for that matter, but I think it would be a good idea. Why not have an official flag for a city? Am I missing something?

I believe the Detroit skyline is the most recognizable signature of Detroit with the English D close behind. Who knows what an artist might come up with though, I may be getting ahead of myself but I do like this idea.

Ill be watching this thread. Good one Dtcl. Good idea. This could be a coup for our new Mayor K.C. putting this into motion.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 812
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the Goss Company on East Jefferson, west of Belle Isle.
http://www.jcgoss.com/main.htm l

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3219
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Click here for a picture of the Flag of Detroit -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F lag_of_Detroit,_Michigan

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

previous thread on this subject:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/99874.html

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I've seen a photo of the official flag, I remember it! No need to design a new one.

Django

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had no idea. Guess I should have done a simple search befor opening my big keyboard. Thanks all.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 304
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't here in April 2007. Django, we already have a flag it just isn't publicized except outside some buildings in Detroit.

I am not exactly looking for one, I am just hoping somebody who works for the Detroit Tourist and Convention Bureau will be smart enough to do this. Maybe sell them at that new tourist center in Merchants Row..??

Django

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Dtcl, seems like this could be a good promoter and seller for ppl who now live outside of Detroit as well as within. The D has a certain love for ppl that have lived here but had to move on, as well as those of us who still live here.

The current flag is nice but kind of ordinary. Would be cool to see something a little more modern. It looks like any other flag of some jurisdiction. A flag that "popped" would make a big difference I think. A Detroit flag that caught your eye might make a difference. I remember looking at a lot of flags in the encyclopedias in 4th grade, I had a thing for them. They all seem to be so, so normal, so plain, so old in design. Couldn't something be done to change that trend.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 305
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our flag has alot of symbolism in it and just "alot", a very compact flag. I like it, I don't think I would change it. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to flags. My favorite flag in the whole world would be Kenya's.

Sfds
Username: Sfds

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The commercialization of the flag is a no brainer. I used to buy a number of country and specialty flags at a very busy flag store in Dearborn on Schaefer, just north of St. Alphonsus. A number of times I wanted to buy a Detroit Flag for visitors. I was told that the City hangs on to the right to sell them and were not available to the store. I tried at other stores as well, same story. Finally, I'm in the Historical Museum ready to buy. The lady thought they carried them, but they were out of stock. Yikes it is so "City Run" it's pathetic. Also, there's some organization that votes on "best designed" flags and I remember the City of Chicago winning that honor. The ever hopeful....

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our flag has quite a bit of irony too.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I own a city of detroit flag I spent a lot on it at Pure Detroit long time ago

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2691
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would be nice perhaps to have the date 1701 on it.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 990
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our flag, design wise, is too busy. Too much going on. It needs to be updated to something simpler to be effective, like Chicago's. I understand about tradition and all, but if you are talking about marketing, a change is needed.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's flag has meaning, though I understand Chicago will add another stripe now that they've got the Olympics.

Have you seen Maryland's state flag? Very striking also, and similar in design to Detroit's.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.