Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Spirit of Detroit is 50 this year « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit is 50 Years Old

On Tuesday, September 23rd, there will be a celebration of the Spirit of Detroit sculpture.

http://freeismylife.blogspot.com/2008/09/free-50th-birthday-celebration-for.html

Fifty years and witness to lots of different goings on right at its feet!

The Spirit of Detroit was created by Marshall Fredericks. It was commissioned in 1955 for a cost of $58,000, and dedicated in 1958. In its left hand, the large seated figure holds a gilt bronze sphere emanating rays to symbolize God. In its right hand, is a family group symbolizing all human relationships. The 26-foot sculpture was the largest cast bronze statue since the Renaissance when it was first installed.
[thanks Wikipedia!]

(Message edited by DetroitPetanque on September 19, 2008)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3824
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe it'a that long ago. I would have sworn I remember when it was installed, but I was only 2 1/2 at the time, so I guess not.

Hairybackjoe
Username: Hairybackjoe

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tale of Genji turns 1000 years old this year.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 773
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Birthday....you great big Spirit, you.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2778
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya gotta have art.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3046
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taken on Labor Day...freshly detailed for its Rededication!

Spirit of Detroit

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14029
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, he really doesn't look a DAY older than twenty-five...that Greenian Formula 16 works wonders on a fella!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3203
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when the Spirit was first installed. My 5th grade A.L. Holmes Elementary School class went on a field trip to downtown Detroit to see it. That statue is one of my favorite things about Detroit right along with the architecture of so many of our beautiful buildings at the time. Then we walked across the street to the Ford Auditorium to listen to the DSO perform. I still recall the sounds of the "William Tell Overture" - they always played that first to get our attention right away. :-) - good memories.

Gannon

Post Number: 14074
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump!

Who's going down for the re-dedication ceremony this morning? See you there.

Gannon

Post Number: 14080
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, just to stay on top of Pam's thread...

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did they do to it? It looks painted!

Gannon

Post Number: 14084
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They restored the original patina...not quite paint, as far as I know. Thing is made of bronze, and they said this morning this green was one of Marshall Fredericks' trademark styles.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember or possibly have any photos of the incident where someone painted footprints going from the Spirit of Detroit, across Woodward, to the statue of the nude woman in the reflecting pool in front of what was then the Michigan Consolidated Gas Building at One Woodward? Is she still there? I worked in that building for a number of years, and recent photos make it look like the pools have been filled in, and I don't recall seeing the statue.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4689
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is she still there?

Yes.

http://www.detroit1701.org/Pas sodiDanza.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.