Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit board rescinds McPhail's pension -- or does it? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 697
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a new quote: "You ain't going to discriminate up in here," yelled Conyers to her fellow board members. I'm SO enthused about her leadership. I guess she is just being passionate.

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News
http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080917/M ETRO/809170460/1361

DETROIT -- A chaotic pension board meeting ended Wednesday afternoon with a 5-4 vote to rescind allowing Sharon McPhail, the outgoing general counsel for Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, to use her eight years as a Wayne County assistant prosecutor to sweeten her city pension. But it's not clear if the vote was valid. At least three separate but related votes were taken related on the McPhail issue. But confusion was rampant as members starting shouting over each other and proposing separate resolutions.

The board's official note-taker was even perplexed over how many votes were taken and what they meant. "We are going to have to revisit this next week," said Kathleen Leavey, the board's chairwoman, as they tried to back-track the votes on her legal notepad.

The controversy started last week after the board, by a 4-3 vote, approved McPhail's use of her county time. Based on the number of years she said she has served the city, and her $142,801 salary, the value of her pension now would nearly double to roughly $31,000 a year, according to pension guidelines.

It's a relatively unheard of move for the General Retirement System, which normally doesn't accept time from other governmental agencies. The measure was introduced by pension board member and Kilpatrick assistant DeDan Milton and seconded by Council President Pro Tem Monica Conyers, Kilpatrick's most supportive ally on the council. City Treasurer Jeff Beasley and David Clark also voted yes.

McPhail, 59, said she will have to pay into the fund to buy her eight years of service and that it won't cost the city. But opponents say it could cost the system and that the board jumped the gun because it should have done an actuarial study of what McPhail would owe the system before voting.

Board member Sheila Kneeshaw, who sponsored the McPhail recision, said state law requires the study.

The chaos intensified when the board voted on Kneeshaw's resolution. It was 5-4, while board member David Clark was out of the room.
Right after the vote, Conyers ran to a back conference room and tried to pull Clark back in the room in time to vote against the recision. He didn't get there in time.

Then in retaliation, Conyers successfully moved to rescind the pension adjustment given in the 1980s of a woman who was allowed to transfer county credits when she moved from the county Health Department to the Detroit Health Department. Conyers and other McPhail supporters had used the example to bolster McPhail's case for the pension change. They voted 7-3 to take back that measure. "You ain't going to discriminate up in here," yelled Conyers to her fellow board members. Shortly after, Kneeshaw chided members for voting last week when several members were absent.
"It wasn't in order last week when you were here," Kneeshaw yelled.

It appears the City Council will have to approve any change to McPhail's pension. And they have requested a legal opinion and more information from finance staffers.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 585
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You ain't going to discriminate up in here," yelled Conyers to her fellow board members.

My GOD she is such a beast! At least it won't be too long before she implodes. The process has started.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though that's what the news quoted, I'd be willing to bet she said:

"Y'all ain't gon't discriminate up in heah!"

She was awfully upset about not being able to help her BFF! Remember when she sent that letter to Granholm and it "accidentally" ended up signed and delivered by McPhail?

I fear for Detroit, now that she's been given more power.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some sour grapes I just picked:

I have worked at the DMC for 25 years, "serving Detroit" and my pension will be a whopping $648 a month.

Obviously, I chose the wrong profession.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will interesting to see how this affair turns out. The tide is running against McFail as she tries one last grab at ripping off taxpayers. These guys have no shame.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Politicians at their very best!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what educational level did conyer's reach?
She acts like an immature spoiled brat.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 917
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

what educational level did Conyers reach?
She acts like an immature spoiled brat.

Ghetto fabulous

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 590
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty, I understand she has a law degree. Go figure...

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 811
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She has a law degree; but after 4 (IIRC) attempts, she has yet to pass the Michigan bar exam. Or any other state's bar, for that matter.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't it said that John Conyers had his employees helping her do her homework when she was in law school? And it wasn't just a rumor, I believe he got in trouble for it too. So it stands to reason that if they "helped" her, they likely DID IT for her, seeing as how she can't (or hasn't) pass the bar yet. Obviously, she didn't really earn the degree either.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't matter how many law "degrees" she has, if she hasn't passed the bar, she isn't a lawyer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.