Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Let's Get Back to Selling Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news. Detroit just landed another annual convention. Let's go land some more...benefits?

(1) Outside money (like from outside the state, even) coming in to the city. Several million in this case.
(2) National exposure to the new revival downtown...Detroit isn't just Kwamegate, yknow?
(3) Internal exposure. Yes, we have citizens in our inner and outer ring suburbs that haven't set foot in Detroit in 20 years. Might as well be a national convention to bring them here...haha

YPD

--------------------
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080916/BUSINES S/80916049

The Detroit convention market got some good news today as the American Postal Workers Union agreed to hold its 2010 Biennial National Convention at Cobo Center.

The convention will span five nights in August 2010 and bring 3,300 delegates to town, said Renee Monforton, spokeswoman for the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau.

With more than 15,000 hotel room nights to be booked for the convention, the event is expected to pump several million dollars into the local economy.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10362
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, because WE all did that on this forum. Nothing like taking credit for something we didn't do.

Post Number: 342
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Ha. Detroiters are notoriously great at selling against itself. Opinions are changed one person at a time. So yes, I'm taking credit for all the efforts, networking, introducing, promoting, and recruiting that I'm personally doing.

What if we all just did a little more?

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 660
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your very right Young,, if everybody did their bit to help and promote,, and not complain, things always move more quickly.. There is alot of positive things to promote about Detroit. The downtown is looking very good now, to many outsiders..and thankgod we got rid of KK.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be willing to contribute to stealing the Adult Entertainment Expo from Las Vagas.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2607
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Here, here.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 716
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell ya what..YOU can sell it.
I just wanna live in it.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6244
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch! Mmmm...salient.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 599
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scrappers are doing an excellent job of selling Detroit. Bit by bit.

Sorry, bad joke.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 818
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was a steward for the APWU, back in the 1980s! He would've loved this!

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Tell ya what..YOU can sell it.
I just wanna live in it.

Normally, I would just shrug and not care. But in reality, I don't think I (or Detroit) can do it without you.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6248
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's enough that he lives in Detroit despite its troubles. You don't need to plead with him to help you actively sell it. He's, in fact, selling it by remaining. People like him are the reason you have something left to sell, at all; please do remember that.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 717
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my point..Detroit doesn't need "selling" or "growing" or "greening" or any of the other bundle of nouns-become verb that are so popular in the hearts and minds of our politicians.

Detroit needs people. Detroit needs local businesses to serve those people. And Detroit needs clean safe neighborhoods to house those people. Provide these things, the city will "sell" itself.

One thing I've learned in life..if it takes a lot of effort to sell an item to me, it's not something I really wanted in the first place.

Before we embark on this wonderful journey to "jewel of the midwest" or "tourist destination" or whatever the hell the goal du jour is now, we need to fix the things which are broken.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 786
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diehard...dang-it, yes...I was going to say "one copper pipe at a time".

But, seriously....

Detroit has taken a super-gigantic leap forward by deposing Kilpatrick; I have no doubt that the team of Cockrel & Green will work great wonders for the City of Detroit.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 769
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sell DDOT for one dollar.

This will save Detroit city taxpayers over $70 Million per year.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3599
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, it would save Metro Detroit & Michigan millions of dollars if DDOT & SMART simply merge their services.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 771
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SMART should buy DDOT for one dollar. Then if we raise the state fuel tax just two cents a year, we could provide $100 million dollars more every year for the low income and make the property tax permanent. Then, we could move an additional 40,000 cars per day off the roads. And then promote rail to AA by cooperative join private and government efforts.

And then more cars come off the roads and we don't have to widen all the freeways to 4 or 6 lanes in each direction and then we will be on our way to getting a World class mass transit system.

Or, we could just tax fast food? And then believe the SEMCOG plans will someday work, like maybe in 2030? or 2050? or maybe 2080?

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit needs people. Detroit needs local businesses to serve those people. And Detroit needs clean safe neighborhoods to house those people. Provide these things, the city will "sell" itself.

That's fine. Except people have left. Businesses have left. And the neighborhoods are dying. If you want any or all of those three things to return, you need to "sell" people on why to come back.

That's why it's called selling.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3601
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YPD, your point is well taken.

However, without all of the before mentioned, it's going to be hard & nearly impossible to "promote" Detroit. I don't like the word sell because everytime someone says it, I think someone is selling off parts of the city to nearby suburbs.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit sold itself to the retired couple from Boston who sat next to me at Floran's Irish Pub during the Jazz Festival. They could not believe the quality of music, friendliness of the people, and beautiful riverfront they experienced during their stay. They told me that their friends were confused that they were visiting the Motor City, rather than Chicago. I suggested that they bring their friends along next time.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know whether Detroit has any "Business Incubators" in the city? These are small, low rent, business locations that someone can move a "Bright Idea" from their basement or garage startup to a place where they can actually go into production. From what I have read, this is a great way to increase jobs, and give small inventors a needed break. Won't work, you say, just remember that Bill Gates started out in a garage

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 718
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YPD, from the original post, one was lead to assume that by "selling" Detroit, you meant "attracting outside business" such as the convention that was mentioned.

My point is that any such attraction requires a "hard sell" thanks to the fact that 9/10 of our city has a vague resemblance to a third world country.
If we were to devote our attention to the people who live here already, their satisfaction with the environment is all the "sell" that's needed to draw more folks.
Repopulate the city, and small business will follow..establish a need and someone will come along to fill it, no "selling" required.

I'll be completely honest with you..the only reason I live in Detroit is because I got more square footage for my dollar than I would have anywhere else in the region..if money were no object, I'd be gone with the wind tomorrow in search of a place where the sidewalks got repaired, the trash got picked up, the police responded, and where I'd feel comfy sending children to a public school..

Since I remain cheap & childless, I'll stay in the city..but I'm damned if I can figure out why anyone with cash or kids would want to, and until that changes, every "sell" will continue to be "hard."

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen brother.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.