Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » How do you secure a window air conditioner unit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine had his house broken into on Friday night. The thief went in through his bedroom window by pushing back his window AC until until it fell on the floor and the rest was history. Any ideas on how he can secure his AC unit so this doesn't happen again?

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some ideas here-does this help?

http://www.dslreports.com/foru m/r20982152-making-a-window-ac -install-secure

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 694
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's called measure the distance from the opened bottom window pane to the top of the window frame and then cut wood to the dimension and insert.

Once in place noone can open the window, even to push the ac unit out.

It is so easy it is hard to think of, I know.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine screwed it into the windowpane and the window frame after it happened to him, and then reinforced it by putting on the inside of the window wood in front of the bottom and top and then screwing that into the frame. That sucker wasn't moving unless it was ripped out of the wall, hard to do on a step ladder.

I really hate metal bars.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they take much of value from the house?

A little psychology here- If they did they WILL be back, thinking your friend will have more goodies again. And they will find another way to break in.

Happened to me, in Chattanooga: My house was broken into, I never expected such so I had some cash in the bedroom dresser. Far as I know, all they took was the cash and coins I had saved.

Police called, they did come- it was not Detroit.
The uneasy feeling the burglars would return bothered me, but since they got lucky once, knew the fool(s) would return. I taped plastic over the window they broke.

I was out of town couple weeks later.Same cop called to tell me my house was broken into again, he said it looked like they took nothing.(like I'd be stupid enough to keep cash in the house again) The cop chewed me out for making it too easy for the burglars. But laughed when I said I knew they'd be back, why replace TWO windows.

And the house was not robbed a third time, after all, there was no $ when they did break in the second time.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, come again? Air conditioning? Boy am I baffled sometimes. To answer the original question - nails, and lots of them. An A/C unit is an entrance. Heh heh, oh boy, no wonder Detroit Police Officers laugh. Ok. Look, if I wanted to sneak in thru your bedroom window, first sign of entrance would be an air conditioner. Apply some logic here - open window = open window. But if you're dead set on having A/C, then do as was suggested before; measure twice, cut once, and make that fucker inpenetrable by use of a couple cuts of 2 X 4. Then you can have a comfy fortress.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8784
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been a long while since I've had a box AC unit in (love the central air and would never look back) but aren't those units at least supposed to be secured at the top with a screw of some kind? I thought there was at least a metal screw of some kind that was supposed to attach to the window itself to prevent it from falling into the room. Did you friend just plop the unit into the gaping hole and pull down the window to secure it?

I remember my parents would also tack in a few braces to the top of the window to prevent the window from being moved up or down. It was always a hassle every fall removing that heavy sucker too.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8786
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, the fear of getting mauled by a rabid beast always works wonders for keeping the undesirables out.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get to know an artesian metalworker from CCS who would be willing to do some cheap security welding for you. When I first got into welding I was hired to create two metal cages for my friends outdoor freestanding AC units. Concrete pads and all. A much simpler system could be devised by any first year welder with a little design exp. under their belt.

Good luck.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll kick in the doors or anything else if they want to get in. Move.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3656
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidechris

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, guys. I forwarded the pertinent info to my friend.

And to answer one of the questions, they took a laptop computer and a jar of change, worth about $3. It wasn't the first time they had a break-in...had a laptop stolen in May, kicked in the front door that time. My friend did change the doors to much more solid steel-frame jobs, BUT neglected my advice and failed to get a security system. He's finally going to get one now. BTW, he lives in Grosse Pointe Park, just around the corner from the police station.

Eastsidechris

Post Number: 350
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S.--Django, thanks for the welder tip. I'll forward that on to him as well. Do you still do any welding jobs? My wife is thinking about doing some garden-type things using rebar. Oh, and to go waaay back, we finally got our driveway gate from House of Iron last week (took them 8 weeks, as opposed to the 4-6 they promised...unfortunately, a good market for security gates right now). It looks nice, nothing fancy, but you'd have to be pretty determined to get over it.

Django

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Id love to see pics of your new gate and what you paid for it. Unfortunately two weeks late on the due date is pretty normal. Not that you should put up with it. I use the Better Business Bureau when Im pissed at a company. Ive have had great results, especially with big companies. You might be amazed at how far a large company will go to make sure you dont go through with a complaint. And its a quick easy form to fill out online.

And yes I might be willing to do some simple creative welding. What kind of work do you have in mind? Do you know someone here who has my e mail so you can write me. Id be interested in a new project.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 592
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good ideas for next year when hopefully there won,t be someone in the house 24/7. But i,ll use the ideas to practice my welding skills.

Miss_flow
Username: Miss_flow

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE BARS, BUT MY AUNT HAD A CUSTOM MADE STEEL GRATING PLACED AROUND THE UNIT IN HER WINDOW. IT STAYS IN YEAR AROUND AND IS SECURED WITH BOLTS IN THE WINDOW STUDS AND BRICK. IT DOESN'T LOOK BAD AT ALL.

Django

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really dont do metal anymore but this is a security door I did for one of my favorite Moms.

Didnt really mean to self promote but I thought this was a good example of "trying" to make security steel look good.

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django.
Great iron work, that security gate is awesome.
you do make security gates look good.

Oilcan_harry
Username: Oilcan_harry

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, are you on the HAMB?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.