Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Villages Real Estate Open House - Sept 27 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For anyone interested in Detroit real estate, the Villages area (Indian Village, West Village, Island View, Berry Sub, Gold Coast) is hosting a "Living in the V" Real Estate Open House in two weeks. It's a good way to see a wide variety of homes, all in one afternoon. New this year is a tour of bank-owned/foreclosed homes for those looking for a fixer-upper.

Here's the press release:
quote:

LONELY HOMES TOUR FINDS BUYERS FOR BANK-OWNED PROPERTIES AS PART OF THE 2nd ANNUAL REAL ESTATE TOUR IN NEAR EASTSIDE DETROIT NEIGHBORHOODS

DETROIT, Mich., September 8, 2008 – The Villages Community Development Corporation (CDC), a non-profit comprised of nine of Detroit’s leading near eastside neighborhoods, announced today a plan to help find buyers for its vacant, bank-owned homes. A licensed Realtor will lead a Lonely Homes Tour of 8-10 bank owned properties in Indian Village and West Village communities on Saturday, September 27 from 1 to 5 pm.

The tours are part of a larger event to attract potential home buyers to the communities. The CDC’s second annual “Living in the V” Real Estate Open House event drew 400 potential buyers to the neighborhoods in 2007. This year’s event will not only feature the Lonely Homes Tour, but will also showcase dozens of homes for sale in the Villages area for potential buyers to tour. Home prices range from $10,000 for a bank-owned property to $1.1 Million for a privately-owned property.

“There are tremendous deals out there for the best of Detroit’s Housing Jewels, said Joy Santiago, realtor, and Living in the V committee member. “It’s time to buy now.”

“The Villages is a thriving community featuring the best classic urban elements: walkability, recreation, history, culture and diversity, all cast alongside a major international waterway,” said Steve Wasko, president, Villages CDC. “Neighbors here are true neighbors, who look out for each other’s needs and also come together to make our community solid and dynamic. This real estate tour is another example of residents not idly waiting for external assistance, but rather rolling up our sleeves, working together and forming alliances to get the job done.”

On the day of the event, potential homebuyers are invited to the Welcome Center at Parkstone Apartments, 1415 Parker. At the Welcome Center, attendees will have an opportunity to pick a master list of open houses and properties for sale and a variety of information regarding neighborhood schools and area businesses from event sponsors. There will also be a few street vendors near the welcome center selling hot dogs, coffee and crepes. A bike tour sponsored by Wheelhouse Detroit will be held during the Open House as well and will allow bikers to experience the neighborhood on bike and on foot.

The Welcome Center is also where participants can join the Lonely Homes Tour. Two tours are scheduled at 1:30pm and 3:30pm. Corporate Cars, sponsors of the Lonely Homes Tour, will have a limo available at the Welcome Center to transport participants of the tour around the neighborhoods, or participants can tour in their own vehicle. Information on FHA 203k Rehab loan programs and other means of financing for homeowners who plan to live in the bank owned properties while fixing them up will be available from two additional event sponsors, National City and Comerica. Rehab contractors will also be on hand to provide additional information about renovations.

About the Villages CDC:
The Villages are a unique collection of historic neighborhoods, high-rise condos, edgy lofts, and new construction homes on Detroit’s east riverfront. Housing prices range from less than $100,000 to more than a million, making living here an ideal option for nearly everyone. A 501(c)(3) organization that was formed in 2006, the Villages CDC includes representation from . For more information, visit www.thevillagesofdetroit.com.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5352
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, great idea for moving those vacant homes and keeping the neighborhood on the rise.

I'm excited to see this group that unites these closely located neighborhoods that comprise one of the more distinctive areas of the City. I think it's great that Jefferson is being bridged, too, so that the Gold Coast people aren't off on their own.

I see that the VCDC it's not brand new, but this is the first time I've heard of it. The website is beautiful, but slightly lacking when it comes to E. Village. If I were VCDC, I would puff up that area a little more, at least to get investor attention. There are some beautiful apartment buildings in the McLellan-Jefferson area that ought to get mention for the way they define that area. Changing the perception of that area will help it catch up to the rest of the area, since it is in the greatest need of investment.

...wish that I could check out the houses on the tour.

Dougw

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, foreclosure tours are pretty popular in many parts of the country these days, so we didn't want to miss out on that. ;)

It is true that the "East Village" area is probably the least well-defined of the neighborhoods. I have to admit I only really checked out the apartment buildings around McClellan & Jefferson a few weeks ago for the first time, and they are very nice.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 581
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14019
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn, too late to get the marketing updated with the news of the areas latest export!

Kwhyme's exit should up the property values some...

Dougw

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kwhyme's exit should up the property values some...

LOL, that's possible. But in all seriousness, we are starting to see the foreclosed homes selling at a brisk pace in the last couple of months, probably because the banks are finally dropping the prices enough. We're almost to the point that we won't have enough homes for this "Lonely Homes Tour", but we should be OK.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2585
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be among the open houses @ Casa Balcona #503, 8300 E. Jefferson. Come see me, I'll bring cider and donuts!

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 602
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2586
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today's the day!

Dougw

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope some of you made it out.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 635
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, we looked at two properties I was interested in. I didn't care for either. I'm glad I had an opportunity to look them over.

We didn't have the time to take the lonely houses tour. Anyone know which properties were on the tour?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.