Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What's next to your bed? (Detroit Edition) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 619
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a question that was posted on another site I moderate..it's a home-defense question, not an Astroglide vs K-Y one, by the way..
:-)

Anyway..in my case, there's a Remington 870 loaded with #3 buck racked over my headboard, a baseball bat leaning on the nightstand, a cell phone on the nightstand, and a very noisy dog at the foot of the bed who will hopefully make the rest of the arsenal a moot point.

The guys on the other site were surprised that this is "all" I keep at hand, what with living in scary old Detroit (yeah, right), so I thought I'd ask what the rest of you have got (or haven't got) to fend off the boogey men..

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothing -- I'm not scared

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 620
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scared? Who said anything about scared?

I believe the word you're looking for is "prepared."

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Doug, sometimes I just have to be yin to your yang. :-)

I could never shoot anybody anyway so I guess I'll just put a bottle of Windex on my nightstand so I can spray it in their eyes and temporarily blind them while I make a quick getaway. :-)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 994
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a store mannequin. looks spooky. seems defense enough.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy, what is a store mannequin doing in your bedroom? OK, it must work because I'm certainly scared now :-)

Thanks for the laugh -- I owe you one City Bird purchase in exchange.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 621
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See? It's for folks like Andy that I put that "K-Y/Astroglide" disclaimer in the first post.

So am I really the only armed person in the room? That's oddly reassuring yet frightening all at the same time..

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you may have one dog at the foot of your bed. but i have two dogs, one rottweiler and one labrador. thats equal to three shotguns as far as im concerned.

besides, my rottweiler is a really really scary dog to strangers.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothing at all...i think having a gun in my house would make me scared!

and andy ain't lyin' about that mannequin. he's also been known to employ some creative auto anti-theft devices :-)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 995
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i also have a nearly life sized mummy in my living room. i put an old lady's hat on it with a veil kind of thing. both the mannequin and the mummy accidently freak me out from time to time - if I wake up in the middle of the night.

once, when I had the mummy in my car, I parked at the majestic to check out an art show, and one of the anti-theft devices birdie refers to was I put the torso and head of the mummy in the drivers seat - with the old lady hat on. So from afar it looked like there was an old lady sitting in there... which would scare off SOME crooks... but... if one came closer, they would get a REAL surprise! A close look revealed a skeleton face: the mummy w/ hat looks kinda like the preserved dead mother in the hitchcock film psycho... no crooks touched my car that night.

moral: everyone needs a fake mummy in their car. like those blow up safety man dolls - but the detroit version.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

once, when I had the mummy in my car

my nomination for funniest start of a sentence ever

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 977
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am with Downtown_lady, I have nothing. We keep a baseball bat under the bed, but more importantly, if the house alarm goes off, we have an escape route to get the F out. Besides, in my place, fat chance they are getting in... unless they force themselves through the front door.

and Andylinn, that's actually a great idea! Ya got me thinkin' now...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm struck by the Owen Meanyness of the Mummy. Very good.

Weapons in the bedroom is a rather personal choice. I always tell people never pick a defensive weapon you can't use in a phone booth.

A long barrel shotgun is tough to manuever in close quarters. Same with a ballbat. Something long can get tied up in door jams, lamp cords or any number of things. A nailfile is more useful than a ballbat, IMO.

Don't mean to be critical of your defensive choices Doug, just to put a de-constructive mindset to the question. ie think backwards on your intended result.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2672
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A clipboard with a newspaper crossword puzzle, and a pen, attached.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4999
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

telephone and 4 d-cell Maglight

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my cell phone,any book i may be reading,and tv remote.

Pixiedust
Username: Pixiedust

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a car, but if I ever get one, please, dear God, let there be a mummy in it at least once. I love to start my day by laughing my ass off. Thank you, Andylinn.
I sleep on my couch, but my daughter has a bed, and her mother is on the couch beside of it . . . And, I'm kind of scary . . . You know, in a "bunny with teeth, Monty Python kind of way."

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: "could never shoot anyone..."

Detroit taught me that that there are beings that resemble humans walking among us, but these things lack morals and have no pity. I would aim and pull the trigger without remorse because these are the animals that would invade my home and undo my hard work. To this end I outfitted with a .44, an 870 (#6 birdshot for a wider pattern than Doug's #3 buck) brass knuckles and a sawn-off pool cue.

If you knew of the horrors (family tied to a basement pole then knifed, including the toddler; old lady raped then strangled) you too might be mentally prepared to exterminate the vermin without hesitation.

I went to war in Detroit, but never had to pull a trigger to get the results that I desired. Here in the 'burbs I've kept the pool cue, but that's more so out of habit than fear of real danger.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2525
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have my canine security device and my phone.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a 30" solid chro-moly steel breaker bar.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a .380 and my cell on my nightstand and a .22 in the back closet (For the winged and 4 legged vermin =)

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3441
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Bible.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bottle of lotion, lamp, book, and air purifier.

I live dangerously.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3144
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mossberg 12g 5 shot pump - with the short vented barrel.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 935
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A pen and a pad of paper in case those Mega Millions numbers come to me in my sleep. The dog handles security.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lamp & a clock radio

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An M-1911A1 loaded with a 7 round clip and an unsheathed KA-BAR!

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, it's only an 18.5" barrel, and I have no intention of stalking the bad guys thru my home with it. If/when someone makes it beyond the front door, they WILL receive an upper body shot should they make an appearance in my bedroom hallway. If they don't show up in my line of sight, I'm perfectly happy to make the phone my only defense weapon.
Between the dog & the door alarms, I'm not particularly worried about being surprised in my sleep, but if by some chance I was, it wouldn't make much difference what my weapon of choice was, would it?
There are also various handguns in the house, but they're not my first choice for home defense, and they stay in a safe when not being carried..there are too few walls between me & my neighbor's kids, and penetration is a factor, as is my ability to hit a moving target when I'm half-asleep..with my 870, I can hit whatever's in the doorway without bothering to wake up.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a book and a hot naked lady are next to me

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same baseball bat my husband has had by the side of his bed since he was 10 or so. We are a family of traditions.......

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8543
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an unfortunate thread. Hopefully any potential investors or new residents won't notice this one.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 921
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.38 in the closet.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge..it's got nothing to do with Detroit's perceived "safety" or lack of same..it's about personal preparedness.
The same 870 that lives on my headboard rack was there when I lived in Farmington Hills and Northville as well. It reflects on one's state of mind, not one's location, yanno?

Besides, looking at the posts in this thread, it would appear that the vast majority of respondents feel "safe" here without any weaponry.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't have a car, but if I ever get one, please, dear God, let there be a mummy in it at least once.

Here you go Pixiedust, to help you with creative visualization until your dream of having a mummy in a car comes true. I snapped this picture of Andylinn's car one day when he was at the Majestic.

mummy in a car

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 626
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're gonna dream, dream big. The mummy oughta have great, gnashy teeth..like the one guarding Pixiedust's child..

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3146
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take Astroglide over a Desert Eagle any day. ;)

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A switchblade knife and Megan Fox

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku...is that an instruction booklet for you and the lady?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 580
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruger .45

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.