Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Photos from the 2008 Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, it was a hot and fun day.

Race fans enjoy...

http://www.detroitstockphotos. com/Production/PhotoGroupView. aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=1855174 4

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pixs Sg,
I had the pleasure of being a Circuit Marshall for this years Grand Prix. I spent most of my time stationed at turns 10 & 11 which were very hairy at times.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 934
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great event and I'm glad its back, but man, I sure miss the much faster Formula 1 cars on the streets of Detroit.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2654
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The announcers for the event on ABC TV, I thought went well out of their way to put detroit in a good light on national TV. Thank you to them!

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks.

That's cool. I took shots from 3 different turns, but never knew what numbers they where. The whole scene there was really cool and there was so much ground to cover. Now I am nursing a pretty decent sunburn. haha

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know how this works out, but the sound of the engines woke me up in the morning.

I live in midtown. Someone explain the physics of that.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey DBC, I used to live in a town that had a zoo and they had lions. I used to hear them in the mornings roaring and at dusk. They were 7 miles away. Probably the same physics!

A lot depends upon the clouds and the wind. Clouds will reflect sound and the wind will blow or distort the sound waves.

I heard once of a small remote weather reporting station in the Southern Hemisphere. It aimed its weak reporting signal towards the heavens. Every once in a while, a meteor would come by and its signal would get reflected by the dust and trail of the meteor. Very small odds, but proof if you keep trying, something will come along to assist you.

Another theory... during a normally quiet period, if something rises above the ambient noise (even though it is still below the normal ambient noise) it will get your attention... kinda like a lion nearby.

So, Detroiterbychoice, here's a couple of theories and here's another possibility... they were loud!

P.S. Several significant announcements were made at the Detroit Grand Prix. This is important because these are normally saved for the Petit Le Mans and made in Atlanta (Braselton). Those aware of the nuances of the significance will see this as a historic event. This does not diminish the Petit, but only enhances its significance as the world comes together and the announcements being made in Detroit enhances its position in the world of the automobile.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.