Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Real Vice Cops Uncut « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So... this show is on Spike, called "Real Vice Cops Uncut". It is very much like "Cops". The opening montage to the show is comprised of several shots of Detroit's streets, as well has a fly over of the CBD and GM.

But...

Not a single story or shown footage had anything to do with Detroit.

Grrrr...

I touched on this in the Cisco thread, but that really wasn't the place for it. This is the place for it. It really strengthens what I said over there.

There seriously is no other Detroit relation what-so-ever.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's that other one;

Don't forget what you see on T.V., or read in the front of the equivalent of a coupon book, isn't reality.

Something many seem to occasionally forget.

I'm not trying to down play this event. It is sickening, and should not be tolerated. However, if this wasn't in Detroit, it would be less valuable to the entertainment/news media.

Detroit leads because of entertainment value. People see Detroit, and read the article, or watch the show. People are captivated by Detroit. I would speculate that the pessimists are more interested more in the blight and crime. The optimists are captivated by it's under dog appearance, work ethic, and potential. Although, there might be cross over appeal, and many more reasons.

I am of course talking about the people who have never even set foot in Detroit, for the most part.

It's not just Detroit. Every city has it's scary area. Those other cities get by because they are only areas of the city. Here in Michigan, we label whole cities as these scary areas. So... instead of Jane and Saint Claire Street, South Central, or the Bronx (all areas I only know about based on past crime stories), we have Detroit. Just simply Detroit (or Flint, or Pontiac, or whatever). 8 Mile was/is a synonym for Detroit. They have no idea Detroit has various areas. Many people exited the theaters after 8 Mile, and think 8 Mile is our main street. It's all marketing really.

This is another "battle" going on. It's kind of different then the political issues, and new buildings. It's ongoing... during everything else, always. Getting shows and movies filmed here, and showcasing our other areas is a very good move. It could really help the world see that Metro Detroit is made up of various areas.

Ilitch couldn't even convince everyone some of our suburbs were comparable to other cities.

PS: Hmmm... Maybe Detroit is the feared area in Southeast Michigan, but Metro Detroit is America's feared area. Although, Atlanta and New Orleans seems like they're on our heels (I won't call racism... but it does smell fishy).

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SW Atlanta was an area you just didn't enter unless you were up to no good. (Bankhead Hwy, Memorial Drive, etc)

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was some half-assed episode where these "street smart" toughguy cops let a bank robber slip right by them 2 or 3 times in Sterling Heights?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah...

There was a raid for drugs and weapons... and apparently compact disks now. That's right... the guy had one of those CD flip book cases full of burned music. Big mistake! He'll be in jail a loooong time.

Make sure you don't have any burned CDs in your car too, BTW. Apparently if they are visible, they can use it as a reason to search your car.

So the guy and his wife got their child taken away, and will spend much time behind bars. Ecstasy, marijuana, a gun, and hundreds of burned CDs (I'm sure they'll find more charges). The guy got dragged out crying... saying he was just trying to support his family, and please... his wife and child had nothing to do with it.

"Please don't hurt them" he said. "Just please don't hurt them, they didn't even know".

The officer looked at him and assured him they were here to protect him... that's their job. "you pay us to serve and protect you, and we are doing our job" the officer said.

No grin, no disrespect... he really believed he was helping that family. I don't know... maybe he was. It didn't seem like it from the video though.

Then he told the guy both were accessories, since they lived in the house and didn't tell anyone (the kid had to be maybe 8). So sad.

But...

Why the heck did they show Detroit? The cars said Shelby Township... isn't that Tennessee? Or did they just like our skyline and streets? Am I looking at this the wrong way? Did they just decide to use us over NYC or Chicago?

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on August 29, 2008)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4990
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The cars said Shelby Township... isn't that Tennessee?"

Where are you from, again?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No... they said it was Shelby Township in Tennessee... at least, I think they did.

Vantanna
Username: Vantanna

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"SW Atlanta was an area you just didn't enter unless you were up to no good. (Bankhead Hwy, Memorial Drive, etc)"

Sorry RID. SW Atlanta a/k/a the SWATS is nowhere near comparable to Detroit.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 937
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took a bike ride down Woodward yesterday-stopped at Jazz fest, rode up the riverwalk, exited at Jefferson near Belle Isle entrance,decided to take the Blvd over to Woodward Ave. When I reached the devastated former Packard plant I noticed an unmarked police car facing East Grand Blvd. occupied by three plainclothes cops hunched together in the front seat.Based on past experience I felt very uncomfortable and threatened by their presence. There was no traffic or homes near the parking spot. I was having a great day enjoying the D, ignoring the few rude-negative behaviours and reaction to my presence in the out of the way places and stops, I really didn't need childlike brutish macho vice cops messing with me. I dont trust them.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2667
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three cops in the front seat of a parked car adds up to "childlike brutish macho vice cops messing with" you?
Generally speaking, if the Detroit cops are meaning to "mess with" someone, the process begins with them getting out of their car.
If they truly were plainclothes vice cops, they probably were not giving a damn about you, at all, and may not have even bothered to notice you.
The "all eyes on me" business is, almost certainly, mostly a product of your imagination and egocentrism.
Sorry, Terryh, but think of it as a little Tough Love for ya, pal.

Terryh

Post Number: 938
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope you are right Ravine. I dont think it is unreasonable to be aprehensive of cops, or for that matter criminals posing as cops. Happens all the time. Im alone with one or more cops, they may be sadistic, they may be disgruntled, racist-whatever. Nothing Im proud of, Im distrustful of and predjudiced against law enforcement. I stopped by an apartment to pick up 20 bucks I loaned an ex roomate who happens to be black. Her boyfriend-also black, came outside-met me on the sidewalk to give me the money. What if some cops happened to notice money changing hands and assumed it was a drug deal? Problem. Dropping off an ex girlfriend on Chapel at Fenkell after the club I always expected to get hassled. I simply dont have faith in law enforcement. Had many good experiences but just do not trust cops to be fair and just. I always expect the worst. Paranoid? No. Cynical and pessimistic? Yes.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK wow, this thread title is really misleading.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry - Morality detail, if they still run it, are likely to be the ones that jam you up. The best defense is invisibility spray, which has the street name of just-not-looking-guilty. Hundreds of thousands of Detroiters use it every day.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me thinks Supergay was hoping this was going to be about circumcision.

Ravine

Post Number: 2670
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, the thing about Detroit cops is that most of them are geared in a way that is different from the state cops and cops from the cities around Detroit. Detroit cops, usually, aren't geared to hassle folks over little-- if I can borrow a term from the National Basketball Association-- "ticky-tack" stuff. Detroit cops are in a situation where they have to be alert to actual serious criminal activity. You were just a guy riding a bike.
Your example featuring you picking up the $20 from the guy out on the sidewalk describes a scene which (I would lay odds of 50-50) just might elicit a second glance, or more, from cops of any stripe.
To put it in another, and somewhat vulgar, way, a Detroit cop is not so likely to do something "just to be an asshole," which, as we all know, is a trait occasionally displayed by the constables on duty in certain municipalities.
And, the inter-racial couple thing is small potatoes around here, too.
Terryh, regarding your last statement, I have to tell you, while you don't come across as being particularly cynical at all, I think maybe you ARE somewhat paranoid, if I can assume that you are using that word with the common slang definition instead of the clinical definition.

Something I really respect about you is that I can be really blunt with you, and maybe even a little harsh, and you don't react with a childish, thin-skinned attitude.

Ravine

Post Number: 2677
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am pleased to report that I made it through the day without any Detroit cops "making a liar out of" me.
After the stuff I wrote about them yesterday, I was actually a little squeamish about even leaving the house today.

Terryh

Post Number: 940
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. Thanks. I try to be thick skinned Ravine. True that the Detroit police dont nit pick as in select (if not most) suburbs.In that regard I DO have more of a sense of freedom in the city.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.