Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Where are the packs of street dogs? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If youve noticed any packs, where have you seen them. I haven't seen any lately in my area. There used to be quite a few here East of 75 and South of 94.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a large pack down near Tri-Centenial State Park. I was with my dog and I was just glad my dog didn't see them and they didn't see us. I just got the hell out of there

Django

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive found that these packs are generally more scared than vicious. We took in one about 5 yrs ago. Marlo is one of the best dogs ever. The best dog ever was Farnsworth, also from the streets, Farnsworth St, but not a pack dog, he was a loner.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 916
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a bark gang strolling down McNichols/John R yesterday.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 438
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember pack dogs being a big issue in relatively recent history in Detroit. Out of curiosity, does the city do anything proactive about it?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3117
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surprisingly, I haven't seen that many this summer. Wonder if there's some canine flu going around?

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stray dogs from my experience usually are not viscious,but it is the one's that got loose from their owners home,and are more territorial that are viscious.stray dogs are just looking for love and food.

Django

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dnerd, I was thinking that same thing, that theres been a lack of strays that is. Ever notice how many chows are around in the D? My theory is that the shorthairs dont survive the winters.

Ladia, exactly. I totally agree. Often times Ive found it hard to get close to the street dogs unless their pretty young. Keep a dog on a leash in the back yard his entire life and hes bound to have some issues with ppl.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fear motivates dogs to attack - an insecure dog is more dangerous than a secure one.

I've seen them on John R, and then a couple times in Grosse Pointe near the Detroit border - they were very quickly rounded up, within minutes after crossing.

I have never physically seen Detroit cops or animal control do anything about stray dogs. They tend to ignore those calls, too.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 3415
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Out of curiosity, does the city do anything proactive about it?

Maybe these guys?
http://animal.discovery.com/tv /animal-cops/detroit/index.htm l

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why, but everytime I see a group of strays I can't get DMX's rough ryders anthem out of my head......

"Give a dog a bone, leave a dog alone
let a dog roam and he'll find his way home"

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

django, yes dogs that are kept on leashes and are used to only their owners are usually the most unfriendly to people. I have seen stray rottweilers who are not mean because they are strays.They are just basically looking for food and love because they have no family or territory to protect.if a see a dog walking with a collar because he got loose from somewhere,then i'm more worried because its not a stray its someone's dog and kept dogs aren't always friendly to strangers.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 920
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, some of these dogs are picked up and used for animal testing. There have even been reports of dogs stolen from yards for this purpose. Makes me sick.

Detroitrockcity
Username: Detroitrockcity

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't seen a pack in a while, but it seems like there's a new dead dog on 94 just about every week.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a Werewolf with a Chinese Menu in his hands....

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 486
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my naive little world, I hope they've all found happy homes...

Django

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walkin through the streets of SoHo in the rain.

Waaa Hooo

Middleageguy
Username: Middleageguy

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend who worked downtown said he often saw them on the rail road corridor near eastern market. He theorizes that a rail way is relatively undisturbed, and makes a safe travel route to the market, where they can scam on meat scraps.

I think we need to get marty stouffer to do a Wild America special on these packs.

I was in Bucharest, Romania last year, and saw dog packs. THey were not particularly skittish, but did not seek us out for munchables, either.
Typically 3-4, as many as 12.
Many years ago, they tried to shoot them and otherwise eradicate them all, and Brigitt Bardot(?) threw a hissy fit about cruelty, so they stopped doing it. So even back then, movie celbrities did this kind of activist stuff.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3140
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a ghetto dog actually lunge at my car - trying to bite the rear quarter panel as I crept down Newport street. (if youve been on Newport, youll understand why I had to creep)

That wasnt recently, but I would never go so far to say that none are vicious.

In fact - the old timers here will be reminded of the one poster who faced 7 ghetto dogs simultaneously out on the streets, back in the day.

lol

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.