Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » If you could afford to....... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you move out of the city?

With the senseless, predatory crimes seemingly escalating on a daily basis,I think it's an honest question.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3099
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'd buy a nicer house closer to downtown.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto. A loft downtown. It's amazing how safe it feels there now. As long as there's no visible copper on the building, that is.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would definitely buy my parents a house/condo in a western Oakland County suburb.... but my mom was not all that interested in moving, esp. since the house is well paid off and it's still a decent NW neighborhood.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3489
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wouldn't matter.

Not one soul on here (who owns a home) would be able to sell their property.

If you're lucky enough to find a poor sap that will buy it, you won't get the actual value (excluding the poor city government & economy) of your home.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12145
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you could afford to.......

Quite an assumption now isn't it. If only I could get off welfare and get over my crack habit so I could hold down a job I may be able to sabve enough to move on up to Roseville or Livonia.

I should quit dreaming of such a concept since my crack addicted body will never be able to get off welfare

Jt1

Post Number: 12146
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not one soul on here (who owns a home) would be able to sell their property.

Depends. Prices in other areas are steals as well. It may be a draw to take a loss to get a home much cheaper elsewhere if someone wanted to leave. Do a quick search and yuo can find plenty of suburban homes for under 50K. Hell, you can get homes in GPP for 75K.

quote:

If you're lucky enough to find a poor sap that will buy it, you won't get the actual value

The actual value of a home is what the current market dictates. People in SE Michigan and the US are so used to inflated home values that they always tend to think that their house is worth what is was worth at its peak. The current market, not the peak market sets the value.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not an assumption. The economy is in tatters, unemployment is rampid. Just asking what I deem to be valid. If you could afford to, just say so and move on.

You D'Yers are so damn sensitive!

Jt1

Post Number: 12147
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What you deem to be valid is a poorly phrased question that is loaded with assumptions.

It's not a matter of being sensitive it is a matter of calling out your bs hypothetical.

Sorry, got to go get my welfare so I can get some crack.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3102
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"rampid"?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ jt1. thanks for putting things in perspective, as always.

i could and can afford to live in just about any community that i want. i CHOSE to move to the city of detroit. and [surprise] there aren't criminals wandering up and down my neighborhood waiting to take advantage of me or my neighbors.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 577
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, why can't all our local crackheads be as smart and articulate as you? ;)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3492
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an article about a couple that lived in Sherwood Forest (one of the more elite neighborhoods in Detroit) trying to move/start a new life elsewhere & they can't because no one is purchasing the house & their afraid it will get vandalized & destroyed.

So yeah, I have a reasonable perspective on things, be it over-generalized.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey JT1 (i.e. Crackhead), I have a note for ya...

http://www.craigslist.org/abou t/best/sfo/27499971.html

Jt1

Post Number: 12148
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assuemd it to be rampant but I am not the spelling or grammar police since I have no right to be either.

I prefer my role as cynic, shit starter and smart ass

Jt1

Post Number: 12149
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rise - I agree that there are many situations when people can't sell their homes. Much of that is from people overextending themselves, taking out line of equities, etc.

That is one example that can be applied to almost any community. The point is that it is one situation but the assumption that everyone is so buried in their house in the city that they are stuck is just silliness.

Jt1

Post Number: 12150
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jt1, why can't all our local crackheads be as smart and articulate as you? ;)

I tend to take books with me to the welfare line. The wait gives me some time to catch up on my reading. :-)

Now I will say that the question asked has merit but it is really a question that should be applied to all people and all communities in SE Michigan. Looking at just dollars (not percentage) it is easier to take a loss in most comunities in the city since the home values were so low to start with. There are many communities where the value of homes have dropped 50-100K in the last year or two. Many of the people that bought in these comunities did so with 0 down or other programs.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3493
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, no one is buried in their house. You could sell it for an undervalued price, but the homeowner wouldn't get his/her fair share even if the home is the nicest on the block.

However, the only other options when you can't find a buyer is pure abandonment or renting out to another person.

Either way, it's pretty much a lose-lose situation for you & the city of Detroit. All of your hard work on a home went down the drain & Detroit has an additional eyesore to contend with.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10341
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I checked no one is forcing people to smoke crack. That is a choice that stupid people seem to choose knowing the consequences of their actions. Crack-tards, coke-heads, needle-idiots get NO sympathy from me.
The people trying to make a better life and get out of poverty get my full support.

Jt1

Post Number: 12154
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rise - I partially agrre but that is not only happening in the city, it is happening all over the state/country but amplified in all of SE Michigan.

quote:

You could sell it for an undervalued price, but the homeowner wouldn't get his/her fair share even if the home is the nicest on the block.

The current value is what the market dictates.

quote:

However, the only other options when you can't find a buyer is pure abandonment or renting out to another person.

or taking care of your property and showing a little integrity. What ever happended to that concept?

Whatchoo takin' bout Goat?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8450
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be fair, Meaghansdad moved out of the city (but not far) in hopes of getting his kid in a better school. It's not like he's sitting in a Pulte McMansion out in Lake Orion casting baseless aspersions at you.

At least thats what I think I remember from his past posts. :-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way things are now, I would move if I could. However, I can't unload my house because the house next door had a fire in it and the owner cannot be found. He was sure there to collect the rent every month though. It is really depressing, and knowing that the City has little enforcement it would make me want to move. In fact, I could live in East Dearborn and shave a few minutes off my commute everyday. I'd buy a place near Michigan so I know I could take transit on a more regular basis.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10342
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, I thought you were talking about the "plight" of those who are addicted to crack as if it weren't their fault. Mybad if I misunderstood your post.

Jt1

Post Number: 12160
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, I may have not been clear. I have little sympathy for addicts since they bring it upon themselves. I was joking about the fact that the original post (while taking some liberty) implied that nobody in the city has the ability to leave.

I took it to an obnoxious step implying that since I liev in the city I must be unable to move out as we are all welfare supported crackheads.

My saarcasm often lacks coherency.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Would you move out of the city?"

Hell no. I'd actually move BACK! Everything is inexpensive except for what the governing bodies wreck on hapless citizens (money-wise, ethics-wise, cleanliness-wise). Too much for me, babe. And I just cannot live in a City where there are SOOO many knuckleheads, thugs, and ghetto-bitch dimwits running things.

Honest answer. :-)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3505
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"or taking care of your property and showing a little integrity. What ever happended to that concept?"

Yeah, but that's another thread.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, my point is I don't think a home should be worth less than a McDonald's Cheeseburger.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the money to live out in the 'burbs, but I'm moving back. Albeit, to a downtown loft. But still, I'm moving back by choice, and I hope to bring back other suburbans with me when they see how nice you can live downtown for such a low price in comparison to other big cities.

As for selling your property in this market...if you're "trading up" and still have equity in your house, it makes tons of sense. Selling your 100k home at 10% below market value (90k) and buying a 200k home at 10% below market value (180k) means you lose 10k on the sale but save 20k on the buy. Math works for me.

As for being underwater, you may be able to negotiate a short sale with the bank, especially if you have mitigating circumstances like a job change, or you just don't want to send your kids to DPS. Bank would rather take an unsecured loan for 20k than spend 50k foreclosing on a home you just decide to stop paying on.

YPD

(Message edited by youngprofessionaldetroiter on August 28, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.