Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » State Fair Bandshell-Alice Cooper « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to see Alice Cooper on Wednesday evening at the State Fair. The show starts at 7P. Will there be a warmup act before Alice takes the stage? How strict are they about starting on time? How long a set does Alice do? Hope to hear you there.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadians are Alice's warm up act or is it a Lawerence Welk cover band?
I'm 18.....Not. Good Luck Diver Dan.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen Alice every year since 1996 (and I'm 18...) There is usually a warmup, but if you don't have the Gold Circle reserved seating you need to get there earlier. I believe Alice will do close to a two-hour set this year.

Dannyv

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin89, thanks for the info. You must be pretty twisted by now.

I was supposed to see Alice at Calihan Hall in U-D with the Stooges and Jane Fonda as warmup, Jane having just returned from Vietnam. "I'm Eighteen" hit huge for Alice and they were taken off the bill and replaced by the Brooklyn Bridge, the generational equivalent of Guy Lombardo and Lawrence Welk. This would have been 20 years before your birth D89.

Liberal_democrat
Username: Liberal_democrat

Post Number: 564
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadians are Alice's warm up act or is it a Lawerence Welk cover band? "

Don't tease me! That wouldn't be right!

Unfortunately, I'd go see that line-up AND enjoy it.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hanoi Jane and Alice...Wow...that would have
been, as they used to say in the day,. a real trip.Toss in The Fugs with David Peel and I would be in my glory.

Dan, I remember coming over to your place and you put on an antropological field recording of New Guinea Natives doing "The Chant of the Mud Men". Dan, you still got musical taste.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alice and with the Stooges in their hay day would be more than worth the price of admission. Could do without that Fonda character though. I saw Alice at the fair 2 years ago. Awesome concert. Stupid fans. A group of folks in front stand on their chairs to see better as the concert starts. Consequently EVERYBODY jumps on their bench seats to see over the dumb a$$'s. so instead of standing on the stable ground, we are now al standing on rickety bench seats that aren't bolted to the pavement.
Then.... It started to rain. No thunder, just rain. If you are a true rock fan, you stand there and deal with, if not enjoy the rain. Unfortunately there were about 100 non rock fans in front of me who opened up umbrellas. So much for a view of the stage! Moral of the story is, if some yahoo next to you is standing on their bench with their umbrella open, be a true rock and roller, and toss them into the mosh pit...

Oh, and yes, there was an opening band 2 years ago. some big, burly, shirtless dude in his 60's was grooving to them, but nobody else really was. Alice Cooper, however, rock the party that rocked the pinata!

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew this guy who roadied for The New Guinea Natives

Dannyv

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sludgedaddy, That was the Ramayana monkey chant performed by musicians from Bali. It's on the recording Nonesuch Explorer and can be seen being performed in a recent film called The Fall.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K ecak
Here's the youtube on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T880ah7clnA
My understanding is that it will replace The Star-Spangled Banner as our national anthem when Obama becomes President. That's why I'm voting for him. :>
BTW, barracuda sends his love.

(Message edited by dannyv on August 26, 2008)

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy, that was hilarious.

Dustin89

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen 150+ rock concerts since I talked my parents into that first one when I was six...unfortunately, I've ended up between a rock & a hard place for tonight's show for the first time I can remember. I waited too long to purchase the Gold Circle tickets at Meijer (I was waiting to see who would be going with me), and they sold out, so now I will have to haggle on the spot there tonight. Or (horrors!) sit in general admission. Most of the times Alice Cooper has played the State Fair, it has been the same band opening for him. I can't say I'm in love with them, and I've joked that their gender changes every year...or maybe just their hair colors. :-) Some of my other favorite artists are Three Dog Night/Chuck Negron, Jefferson Airplane, Cat Stevens, CSNY, etc. I've met Alice a few times and he is a very nice guy. He signed one of my LPs ("Easy Action") for me in 1998: "Dustin-clean your room. Alice Cooper '98." LOL!

Dannyv

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin89, Sounds like we grew up in similar circumstances, dropped on the head at an early age. I'm thinking that a lot of rockers will be checking out the Allman Brothers playing tonight at Pine Knob. Hopefully so. Sounds like you're into the classic rock scene. Thanks for the info on a warmup band. I'll be able to take my time getting there and not hit-and-run too many pedestrians. Rock on, my brother.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8451
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only saw the Coop once, but it was a great show.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, missed Alice for the 38th time in my life tonight. Coop was scary, scarier than anything else, scarier than any amerigoth bands come along in the past 30 years, with possible exception to The Mentors. Snuck into the R&R HOF with a camera and snapped pics of Dennis Dunaway's bass from "Love it to Death" - a personal fave. So glad that Alice straightened out.

Knock on the door, sheesh. Later, Gg.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 919
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, The Mentors. Loved that tender love ballad they did called the Four F Club (Find Her Feel Her Fuck Her Forget Her)

Ggores

Post Number: 329
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mentor's, ladies and gennelmen, if I remember, were school teachers, and hailed from the fine west coast city of.... Covina. I had a friend who was NUTS about them. I thought she was nuts. Dern metal heads.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 436
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Decided to skip the Harper Cruise and go see Alice Copper with the gf instead. All in all the show was pretty good. When I saw him 2 years ago, there were more theatrics and the band member's mics were actually turned on, but we could hear Alice just fine, so no big deal. The Bandshell seating was packed for most of the show. Next time he's in town for the St Fair, we are going to get inner circle tickets. The girlfriend, who is a huge Alice fan, was jealous of all the people up front getting the necklaces and stuff that were being tossed off the stage.

Dannyv

Post Number: 344
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor56, you can pick up those necklaces cheaply at a party supply store. You might even go and buy one and tell the girlfriend you searched one out from the show last night and got it for her.

The show was a whole lotta fun. It was loud and my ears are still buzzing, loud enough to FEEL about 100' from the speakers. The sound was crisp and I could make out every word Alice sang. The band was great and the theatrics a treat.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Alice Cooper last night. The concert was so loud that I stood on my front porch and could hear it just fine.
I guess Green Acres IS the place to be..

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw Alice Cooper and the Spiders at a local high school around 69 or 70 when I was a kid. First time I had seen guys with hair down to their waist. Loved the show and still listen to the Easy Action album occasionally.

Chico
Username: Chico

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to threadjack, but another Mentors classic is "The Sandwich of Love" (One Below and One Above...)

Might still have it on vinyl in the basement

Ggores

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahhh, I wouldn't worry Chico, it's in the same vein.

Man, I've heard nothing but good reviews of this show, and they keep getting better. Must take at least a full day to recover from the Coop!

Dustin89

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_ed said: I heard Alice Cooper last night. The concert was so loud that I stood on my front porch and could hear it just fine.
I guess Green Acres IS the place to be..

! I was just about to post my main complaint about the show: that it wasn't loud enough. I think I've packed too many shows into too few years...
I'm glad this one was especially well-attended. The setlist was pretty standard--I think the songs from "Welcome to my Nightmare," the song "Halo of Flies," etc., were highlights. 'Twas a great show. There have been a few times at the State Fair when he's played unexpected stuff: songs from the LP "Special Forces," the song "You Drive Me Nervous" from the LP "Killer," etc., and that is always a pleasant surprise. I love to see concert reviews in the paper, and the Oakland Press is running Gary Graff's today, with the subplot of his [Gary's] brief appearance onstage during the encore. :-) All in all, I feel like Alice received some extra attention this year: his new album was released on not just CD, but in a colored-vinyl LP release; the show at the State Fair received great before-and-after media coverage, and it sold out. See you guys there next year (and maybe at Chaka Khan on Sunday, in Pontiac...)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.