Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Kwame stands to lose much more than his paycheck « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Saplej
Username: Saplej

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, now facing 10 felony charges in Wayne Circuit Court, stand to lose if he resigns or is removed from office, many wonder.

It's considerably more than his $176,000 annual salary.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20080825/SUB/808250319

He makes 176,000 for being mayor.. and added benefits of a free house, health care for family and other benefits..

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, this is making news here in the South. I was thinking not only is this bad for the citizens of Detroit, but also for business opportunities that could happen in your city. I am not a business owner, but having to deal with all this drama and scandal could influence a companys' decision to make a move to Detroit.

Sad, not only is hurting himself and family, hes taking a chance on future economic decisions for Detroit.......

Jane

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 497
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saplej, I don't buy it. His mother has major connections and can get him a job somewhere else. I think the KKS (Kilpatrick Krime Syndicate) has too many goons on the payroll and stands to lose too much control if Kwame steps down.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only that, Crumbled, but more of his secrets will come out if he's not there to continue protecting them by intimidation and fear. Once he's out of power, people will no longer be afraid to speak, and I bet much more will be exposed in his wake.

But yes, that's a pretty nice and hefty compensation package! I bet he and his family ARE pretty peeved at the idea of having to give all of that up - all of the shopping and decadence and million dollar Christmases!

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the prison laundry pays 13 cents an hour.

Rideron
Username: Rideron

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHat makes anyone think the Kilpatrick Organization is going to 'go away', even if Kwame (for some unknown reason) actually is made to pay any kind of price at all???

They're too entrenched, deals will be made.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Crain's Detroit article.

Not that a former mayor would need security service 24 hours daily,seven days a week, but Kilpatrick’s Executive Protection Unit is listed in the Detroit Police Department budget at $1.7 million for 14 full-time equivalent positions.

121428.57 per officer.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""121,428.57 per officer.""

and to think i was only making $15,885 a year patrolling the streets down south...

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove by the Manoogian Thursday and there were nine marked and unmarked police cars. They must have all been inside because I didn't see anyone patrolling the exterior.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe there was a private party gong on there.
When, I mean if he goes to prison, who will be the one throwing the barbecue party, at the manoogian that is.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.