Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Neudeck Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This seems to be like a tough building to find information on. Anyone have/know anything?

This is the building at the corner of Bagley and Clifford.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7231
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking about the bastardized Wayne County Road Commission Building?

Saw a pic of it before the hideous remodeling that produced that garish blue color... but can't remember where...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue? Hmmmm...

It's right in front of "the window" at the old Michigan Theater (Well, sort of. It's on that block at least).

There is a picture on the Wikipedia Statler page. There is no article. I can't find anything but that picture. For some strange reason I thought it was apartments.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D etroit_Statler_Hotel

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on August 25, 2008)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7232
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup that's the one. The dark vertical stripes in that b/w pic along the building facades are the windows with what appears to be bright blue ceramic coated metal panels between the floors.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't notice the changes you mentioned... but I can be selectively unobservant sometimes. I'll have to check it out.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it really that bad?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall an atty during my day named Phil Neudeck who was with Wayne County, and I believe he has since passed away. Perhaps the building was named after him(?)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3413
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a search on Philip Neudeck, detroit, mi and found the following:
Neudeck, Philip J. — of Wayne County, Mich. Democrat. Candidate in primary for circuit judge in Michigan 3rd Circuit, 1935; candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Michigan 15th District, 1936. Presumed deceased. Burial location unknown
Also, there was an Open Bid for the cleaning of the Philip J. Neudeck building 415 Clifford St Detroit, Wayne County, MI in 2006

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.