Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Neighborhood Gardens and Produce « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen on the news recently that in other cities, citizens of neighborhoods have started planting gardens and growing produce in empty lots. It's much cheaper than buying produce from a store and makes use of the land. And you know pretty much where your food is coming from and hopefully what kinds of pesticides were used on it.

So, what neighborhoods in Detroit are doing this?

Just curious.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leannam1989, have you not read the "The start of a neighborhood garden and gathering place" thread? I bumped it for ya.

Enjoy. Show up if you can.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4482
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of different neighborhoods are doing it:

http://www.detroitagriculture. org/

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrendale Community Garden
Ryan Playground
5714 Faust
Near Ford Rd & Southfield
Food is grown for the local community and youth gardeners sell at neighborhood farmer's market.

Williamsfamilyfungi
Username: Williamsfamilyfungi

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodbridge Farms!

I have friends in Corktown who keep chickens and goats in their back yard, along with a nice garden. Now tell me, in what other city can you keep chickens and goats within 10 blocks of a major city landmark?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 781
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Williams SHHHHHHHH!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.