Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Crime in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey...crime -- or, at least in some areas, the perception of crime -- is a problem for Detroit. I'm wondering if there have been any successful models for reducing crime that have worked for other cities that have been similar to ours. And while I can't moderate the discussion, in order to get a good quality discussion out of this, I'd ask that we stay within the boundaries of comparing and contrasting what has/hasn't worked in other cities. For example, if you think giving everyone a CCW is a good solution, that's interesting and fine. But what I'm wondering is if you have any comparable cities where that has worked. Same goes for if you think handguns should be eliminated. Not looking for a 2nd amendment debate here, looking for examples from other cities on how they've effectively dealt with the problem.

Detroit's kinda weird, in that crime risk is different in geographical area and on different days of the week. I grew up on Detroit's eastside, and we never had any problems with theft. A cousin of mine lived in the University district in the 90s and had is airbags stolen twice out of his car. I went to U-D High and we once had a car stolen right out of the lot. I'm down at the DAC and Greektown frequently, and that area is like a veritable fortress, especially during Tiger Games and on weekends.

Though a quiet Monday night is pretty scary for me to be walking around the CBD. It's like a ghost town.

So what has worked systemically in other locales? Do we have a funding shortage? Are we not efficiently using our resources? Could having residents do simple things like having bright porch lights and neighborhood patrollers help? What about private security firms like Indian Village has. Has that helped?

Etc.

Love to hear y'all's opinion...

YPD

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to sell this to Detroit but no one listens.
CompStat in the Los Angeles Police Department, Bratten used it in NY and it worked awesome.

Detroit doesn't want to solve crimes is all I can gather.

An article from the best police chief in the US in the last twenty years.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/j ournals/257/chief-bratton.html

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a local level (VERY local) block clubs/CB patrols and the like do make an impact on crime..however, getting your neighbors off their asses can be a pretty hard row to hoe.

My neighborhood group ran a CB patrol from '94 or so until '02, seemed to keep the BS to a minimum..since the group more or less disbanded, crime has definitely risen. I'm about the only member of the original group that's still living here, and I really don't wanna have to be the one who starts the ball rolling again..

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 917
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What neighborhood are you in Zrx-doug?t

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way north-west. Six Mile & Telegraph area..we were originally called the South of Six (SOS) patrol, when we regrouped we became the South-Park patrol.
Not too long after the regrouping, there was a falling-out amongst the higher-ups in our group (I was just a peon who logged a lot of very slow miles) and we just sorta faded away.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 918
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember that steakhouse just west of Telegraph?
Hows the area now?

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Steak house is still there, a little south of Telegraph on W.7 Mile called Laffery Steaks. (spelling might not be right) The area has only slightly changed, not as bad as if you cross Grand River going east.

But back to getting to CB Control, since Kwame has been in office, there seems to not be anyone to contact to get information on CB patrols or neighborhood watch signs. I called the number from the City's web site, and was transferred and given other numbers approximately 7 times. Never got to talk to anyone.

I put the blame on the Kwame Kil administration.

Lax, don't care, irresponsible.

(Message edited by Westsiiiide on August 25, 2008)

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Comp-stat/Bratton approach does seem to work. I don't know if the DPD has the resources to implement it, but they certainly seem to lack the inclination.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I see is a lack of forward thinking approaches in our local government. Detroit should be benchmarking other cities successful approaches to crime(and other areas)to see if it is just hype or will those ideas work in Detroit. Our leaders owe us too at least try. Using the same approaches and trying to get a difference result... Well you know what people say about that!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10318
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A successful model to combat crime? Jobs. Want another one? Crime PREVENTION.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat- I agree that more jobs would help, but I can't reconcile the fact that during the years of Detroit being the murder capital and so forth, the economy wasn't as bad as it is now.

Also I think most of us do the little things like lock our doors and cars. Prevention helps us individually but someone who is inclined to commit a crime will just move on until they find an easy target and eventually they will find it.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 640
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More jobs don't help if you don't have smart people to fill them. Education first.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10323
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Touche Rjlj.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys do realize that there are X (I want to say thousands upon thousands, but have nothing to cite) number of young Detroit children that are being raised in households where theft is not only encouraged, but is rewarded and viewed as a sort of "stickin' to 'em"? Is true. So perhaps one place to begin would be to make breeding an undesirable thing to do, unless there is a baby Daddy present and accounted for - and accountable. How to do that, I've no idea.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 555
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interactive, visible police.
Quality of life needs to be number 1.Quit overpaying city council egomaniacs and HIRE more cops. Not only will it lower the response time, it will increase presence.
Here in Hazel Park they have cut services. The city manager said he wants police and fire to be the very last thing facing cuts, only as a last resort. Im cool with that. One thing they arent doing is LAYING OFF cops. Another thing we have is a mobile patrol. The police department has refurbished 2 old patrol cars, and police volunteers drive around with radios, and their base has a direct contact with police.
I know, easier said than done. But I believe the problems the city faces with crime is due largely to lack of manpower, and that leads to a slow response time. Criminals KNOW theyres a very good chance they wont get caught, so go for it!

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 492
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.ncpa.org/ba/ba324/b a324.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C oncealed_carry#Research_into_t he_effects_of_concealed_carry_ laws_on_crime
^^^go directly to no. 5^^^

Give them all guns!! Legally.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 978
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Give them all guns!! Legally.

Cool, I'll take my free gun please if your paying for it.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked in Eastern Market for several years. I don't own and never will own a gun. Everyone else in the market was packing. Very low personal crime.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 973
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Giuliani touted the "broken windows" theory of crime control, but the book "Freakanomics" said it was really adding more police that lowered NYC's crime rate. I don't know that Giuliani ever admitted it. Doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 432
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =F2fV-_eiKxE

How does your "broken windows" theory look now?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 356
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If people don't want to be law-abiding citizens, there is no "model for reducing crime" that will be effective.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.