Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What ever happened to Softball City? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 416
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the State Fair today and wandered into the abandoned Softball City Information Office. I wish I'd had a camera with me. That place was pretty trashed, but fascinating to see. It struck me from the outside as a sort of gangster hideout.

I noticed a sign on the door that read "Not Responsible for Pitchers Left in Upper Deck."

Anybody know what that means?
And what became of Softball City anyway?

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upper Deck makes baseball (as well as other sports) cards and other trading cards.
http://www.upperdeck.com/

Maybe you're supposed to take all the pitchers' cards out of there? :shrug:

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 545
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This whole site answers and brings up more questions. A co-worker of mine was just talking about Softball City, never did ask why it shut down.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This implies it's part of the state-owned property at the Fairgrounds. I didn't know that:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2008 0512/SUB/805120373

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 916
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to play some ball before the summer is over. Any leagues? Where is a good place to get a game started?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8633
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played ball there ages ago. For the amount of teams that place could accommodate it was great; there were church leagues, beer leagues, co-ed teams, and every configuration you could come up with. But as far as facilities go, the infield was gravel and hard as concrete. Go to a real ball diamond like Liberty in Sterling Heights or the one in Canton and they groom the fields there and actually have a substrate worth playing on. The outfields were always ankle twisters and the bounces were always an adventure.

No one ever dared sliding at Softball City in fear of leaving half their thigh in the dust but it was interesting watching the trains go by in the outfield from time to time. It had great location but unfortunately it was never kept up as well as it should've been.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harpernottingham....Mass quantities of beer was consumed there; perhaps that would explain the sign referencing pitchers:

A. 48-ounce plastic pitchers
B. 250-pound pitchers who passed-out from drinking too much beer

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 915
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with smogboy, it was a great place to go, but it could have been better. Guess we'll never know now.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Softball city was one of the great inner-city ball parks in the country. Softball city is at legendary status for most old heads from all over. In other-words everyone has some type of classic story about playing at the 'City'. I believe the legendary professional Softball team, 'The Detroit Ceaser's played or practiced at the 'City'....of course, owned at operated by the one and only Mike Ilitch!

I played tournament ball at the 'City' a few times before the park closed. World Tournaments where often held at the park. My father was a legend of some sort at the City, Big Dough-Belly-Bill (also a proud member of the Negro Leagues Cincinnati Clowns), was known to have hit some launched rocket shots 400 or so feet in distance at the 'City'

Smogboy, I hear ya' about the gravel infields(bad, bad, bad!)...but then, many national ball parks from that era went to a gravel infield foundation...assuming, gravel was cheaper to care and maintain, and ultimately gravel could hold-off the weather element a bit better, so then ideally, parks could get many games in, and limit cancellations.

I think, like many state owned parks and recreation institutions in Detroit, The 'City' was victim to the all-mighty-dollar!

As far as parks for leagues, Liberty, Canton, Jayne Field(Detroit), Rotunda, will soon start fall league schedules. I would suggest contacting those parks for info about playing or teams looking for players.

blksoul-atcha!
founding member of the BJL
Obama 08'

English
Username: English

Post Number: 790
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Softball City!
My little sister played for the PAL league, and my Dad played for the post office. Good times! :-)

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Blksoul...how interesting to hear that about your father! I'll bet he had some great stories from his days in Cincinnati.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8635
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a time once when I was playing in multiple leagues- one was at Softball City and Suburban Softball out in Rochester Hills (when gas was obviously a lot less expensive!). I use to remember after a heavy rain how the water would puddle on the Softball City's fields and would take forever to drain OR someone from the grounds crew would actually carve a ditch at or near the diamond to help with drainage. Suburban's fields were actually sculpted in such a way that the water drained off simply to the edges and away from the diamonds. Not that Suburban's fields didn't have its own issues (built over a dump) but it was a huge contrast for me seeing the management of their playing surfaces.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 912
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the King and his Court 4 man team play there. They spanked a beer league allstar team silly.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to remember something about the GT railroad wanting to expand the intermodal yard across 8 Mile Rd. Not sure if Softball City went tits up first, or if they lost their lease due to the train thing.

I think the yard expansion got shot down after a few meetings with the local residents, the same type of thing that killed the race track idea at the fair grounds.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hookers lined up outside the Last Chance on the way to Softball City were also a sight to see...all colors...all sizes.....all for the right price....just like Cheech Marin spoke of in that vampire movie which I now forget the name of.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 553
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dusk till Dawn

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.