Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Adult Ice Hockey league « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking for a men's adult hockey league in the city or inner ring suburbs. I know most of the rinks but Im not familiar with the various leagues in the metro area. I play drop-in at City Arena here in my neighborhood during the days, but I want to join a league for the fall.

I'm 24 and consider myself average to maybe slightly above average in skill. I dont mind driving 20 miles or so, as long as the league is fun and well run. Any suggestions?

Has anyone skated with MSE (Michigan Sports Enterprises) in Trenton, Fraser or Mt Clemons? Someone recommended them but That is quite a drive, not sure if its worth it.

And on this note, would there be any interest in getting a DetroitYes team together? Just a random thought!

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can try the Farmington Hills Ice Arena they have leagues all year round, its right on 8 Mile be tween Halsted/Newburgh and Farmington, there is the Dearborn ice arena on Ford road and Greenfieldish.

I was thinking about that one time and someone else mentioned it also but i have school and other activities now so i am not even playing. Hope i helped.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can try the St. Clair Shores arena .Its near I-94 and 9mile.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 277
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D-Star. MSE is pretty well run, teams are well matched, and skill levels of all varieties are available. If you're skating at City during the day and you live relatively near there, Fraser is really not that far of a drive (22 minutes from Hamt) and they have open leagues, where you can be placed on a team. Same for Mt. Clemens. St. Clair Shores is relatively close but you kinda have to already be on a team or know someone who is.

By the way, does City still have the daily 11 am drop in? Hit me back.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, 11am during the week. I have not been there in about a month but I plan to start going back a couple times a week. I jog or drive by there every day, and there is really no excuse not to be on the ice more considering it is only $5.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

which days at 11?

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have friends that play in the leagues at great lakes sport city...they seem to enjoy it.

I grew up playing in just about every rink in the metro area...I don't think there is a rink in the tri-county area that I haven't skated on...

You could try the leagues at SCS, I've played in that one, as well as one in Mt. Clemens...and another in Hazel Park

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, mon-fri.

From my observations the best turnout is tuesdays and thursdays.

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another recommendation for the MSE leagues in Fraser. I played there for several years (no longer living in town) ... it's well run and they will place you on a team if you're coming in as a single guy.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fraser has leagues nearly every night of the week year-round, at every skill level. The rink is a stinky dump but there are thousands of players in the leagues there. Start times are never later than midnight.

Troy is a cleaner rink, but they have insanely late games, some near 1 a.m. some nights. Several nights and levels to choose from.

SCS, Hazel Park, Mt. Clemens, Macomb have leagues, but not nearly as many options as Troy or MSE in Fraser.

MSE is about the best, though, in helping individual players find a team at their skill level. The guys who run it are very hands-on and big on personal customer service.

msehockey.com

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar (and anyone else)

Myself and a few friends are looking to put a team together for this winter..

Email me.. Canuckr163@yahoo.com

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCS usually has a "free agent" team in our league. They aren't ever in contention near the end of the season, but I believe they do have that option available. Mens leagues run on Wed/Sun, playing both days of the week about 60% of the time. They have roughly three different levels (the good, the bad and the ugly). Good league, OK ice, long season (Oct? - Mar).

My team is 50% hacks, and the rest are about 30-40% hacks.

City Drop In? ?

Do they get two goalies everytime? Didn't know about that skate. Good rink though.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Canuck just curious where you going to play out of?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreeing about the customer service from MSE. That program is run pretty well.

Drop Ins @ city are M-F at 11am to 1pm. It's not really a drop in though, as occasionally a figure skater or two shows up. So you split half ice. Rarely are there goalies, unless there is a private goalie clinic, where I've shot hundreds of pucks at some pretty good goalies. I like it for the cheap ice, proximity, and usual work out. Bring your own pucks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.