Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Macomb at rest again. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3549
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fascinating story about the re-burial of Gen. Alexander Macomb in Washington, D.C. Since he was born in Detroit, I guess it can be posted here on the Discuss Detroit side.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080718/M ETRO/807180343/1416/METRO07

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 415
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is an interesting article. I was stuck by the following: "At a private event at the Smithsonian on Wednesday, family members saw the remains of Macomb and his wife and helped wrap them in cloth."

Ray1936

Post Number: 3551
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...those kind of disinterments fascinate me. Hope that doesn't sound ghoulish, but I'd of loved to have viewed the remains.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I was thinking the exact same thing while reading that! I am related by blood to former president James Monroe. Maybe something will go wrong and I will have the chance to do this. :-P

I am a huge American history nerd, especially from this period. I think it would be facinating to be a fly on the wall (and not get swatted) and watch our nation develop under the names that now mean little more to us then street names or places.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3553
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too, Detroitstar. John and John Quincy Adams are cousins to me, so naturally I find that time period fascinating to study. I try to relate the activities of my more closer ancestors to the times, and that's given me a whole fresh perspective on American history (even back to colony days).

Then there's the Civil War period!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are inside my mind Ray! I dont think most Americans understand what our nation went through between the war for independence and the war to save the union. I consider the war of 1812 our war to remain independent...yes a little exagerated...but the reality is that most Americans are clueless about this war.

Now forgive me for taking a shot at your ancestry, but what was up with JQA? From all accounts he was a grumpy man who lacked all the charisma and energy that made John Adams and that name so great. Lol!

I believe that John Adams is darn close to being the greatest man in American history. George Washington even credited John Adams with being "the reason this nation will survive." My favorite quote in all of American history comes from John Adams. He and Thomas Jefferson both died on July 4 18xx(Im killing myself for forgetting this right now). Adams and Jefferson had been friendly, but competative on political issues for many years. Adams final sentance was "And Thomas Jefferson still lives." It is the greatest irony in American history.

Story time is over. sorry for going off topic. I was in an early 1800's frame of mind for a minute.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3556
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

July 4, 1826, fifty years to the day after the Declaration of Independence was signed. But I have more than my share of senior moments, too.

Yeah, John Quincy Adams was not well liked, especially compared to his father. In recent times, I've compared this feeling with Bush the elder v. Bush the younger. Except that John Q. only served one term.

The war of 1812, aside from the burning of Washington and the Battle of New Orleans (which took place after a peace treaty had been signed), was largely a war against piracy on the high seas by the Brits, from what I've read. The impact of that on foreign trade practically demanded the war.

Now I'm rambling. And to think that I hated history in school. Well, better late than never.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, Did you watch the Adams biopic on HBO?

Stromberg2

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3395
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Q. may not have been the greatest president ever, but he is the man who represented, as an attorney, the slaves from the Amistad, who were accused of mutiny and murder, and won the case. I too believe John Adams was one of the greatest American men ever to live, and Abigail Adams one of the most intelligent and well read women of her age

Ray1936

Post Number: 3560
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I watched that bio, Stromberg2. Well done.

We could sure use an Adams or a Jefferson today. Instead we end up with Larry and Moe, now that Curley was eliminated.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah...those kind of disinterments fascinate me. Hope that doesn't sound ghoulish, but I'd of loved to have viewed the remains.

I'm sure most of you know that Abraham Lincoln's body has been disinterred and viewed a few times in the distant past -
http://members.aol.com/RVSNort on/Lincoln13.html

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This article will appear in Pipeline. I write little historical blurbs for the Warren Conner newsletter. This one is about a Cemetery our great city lost. The city (PDD&D)thinks its an Indian burial ground. Not! But then they also don't think the Fox Creek Massacre happened either.

Conner Creek Detroit Grosse Pointe Cemetery
Chandler Park

Many people traversing Conner at the junction of I-94 must wonder at the strange configuration of the service drive access heading east to the Ex way. What few realize is that the small fenced island is all that is left to commemorate the Conner Creek Detroit Grosse Pointe Cemetery. Until the mid 1800’s the area was part of Grosse Pointe Township, hence the name.

The Conner Creek Detroit Grosse Pointe Cemetery was actually a relocation of the Russell Street Cemetery (Roughly what is now Eastern Market) and the Clinton Cemetery also Downtown between 1880 and 1882.

The Russell Street Cemetery contained roughly 4518 bodies. The relocations occurred as Detroit and its environs were expanding. Half of the interred bodies went to CCDGP Cemetery and the other half to Woodmere.

The 2.5 acres for the Clinton Cemetery was purchased from Antoine Beaubien in 1827. The first internment was Friend Palmer, who wrote an early history of the City of Detroit. The body count to be moved was 300, the bulk of the dead buried there was a result of a Cholera epidemic in 1832 to 1833. Catholics were buried in one half and Protestants in the other half. The burial grounds were early European settlers No Native American were interred at any of these three sites.

The land was acquired by Frederick Ruehle from Antoine Joseph Dubay for $3,000.00 in 1872. Ruehle sold the property to the City of Detroit for $6,000.00 within months of his original transaction in 1872. A total of 34 acres was involved. The dedication of the cemetery was August 27, 1880.

Some notables that were buried in the newly created cemetery were Zachariah Chandler, Major Hunter Holmes (War of 1812) and Detroit Mayor Moffat. All were later moved to Elmwood Cemetery. Their history is preserved. Many bodies in the Conner Creek Detroit Grosse Pointe Cemetery were never re-interred. Bodies that remained include now unknown veterans of the War of 1812, the Mexican American War, the Civil War and other ordinary citizens.

In a study entitled “Land Use History of Conner Creek Cemetery”, 1984, the author states, “The burials that remained to the mercies of the city grave diggers during the periods of massive removals were no doubt those who had no one left to mourn them or care for their final resting place. They would become the John and Jane Does of Detroit history. Victims even after death, of municipal incompetence and short sightedness.”

Widespread neglect, abuse and desecration caused this cemetery to disappear from record. The City of Detroit recreation department had responsibility for its maintenance. The area was rediscovered in 1950 when a grave marker from 1838 was unearthed during preliminary earthworks for I -94.

It is interesting to note that the small-gated island that is a commemoration of the early settlers cemeteries was re-christened The Detroit City Cemetery in 1977. The group that did the research and raised the money for this small commemorative plot and plaque was the Birmingham Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. It is easy to surmise that a good portion of what is now the Chandler Park Golf course was part of that cemetery. The spot is designated Historical Area #20wn383

Chandler Park, once called Campeau Woods, was named after Zachariah Chandler. Chandler was Mayor of Detroit and later served in the U.S. Senate During the Civil War. His opponents labeled him as a “radical abolitionist. He also presided at the impeachment trial of Andrew Jackson.

The Village of Fairview Historical Society

Ray1936

Post Number: 3564
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow....great story, Sumas!

Can you pin down that exact location on this google map?

Ray1936

Post Number: 3568
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at this on Google Earth, and with the description in the article saying the service drive access to EB 94, I'd say this has to be it.
It is fenced, and the closer view shows something in behind the mysterious building.

Possible Conner Creek GP Cem

Possible Conner Creek GP Cem 2

Ray1936

Post Number: 3569
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's what caught my eye, also.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.