Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Ford Airstream @ 2007 Auto Show « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this concept have a future? It is a very interesting car...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford has too many crossovers as it is, its getting to be as silly as Dodge and Jeep. Why does it need a Taurus X and an Edge? What about the new boxy Flex? Aren't all of these approximately the same sized vehicle? Won't they compete against each other for sales? Why would anyone buy an Edge when the X is larger, gets the same gas mileage and can be bought for the same amount of money?

Granted the Airstream appears to be for pulling campers, but those days are long behind us. Most folks you see pulling the big campers are just two retirees, they don't want a funky looking Airsteam. Why if they parked those for camping in the Walmart parking lot, they might get charged full price for something. (As an aside, did you know many Walmarts allow folks to camp in their parking lots for free? I guess its because they know it will establish some sort of loyalty. A lot of people do it too! What kind of trip is that?? 'This Walmart sure is nicer than the last one honey, look they left a tree next to the 3,000 space parking lot!')

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 262
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speaking of camping and wal-mart
i forgot my cot on a trip to the ocean, so i went to wal-mart and bought one then retuned it on the way home-i sure showed them waltons-suckers

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MAN! thats the best! When my father and I went to montana, I figured we would by a styrofoam cooler at a beer store but we could not find one. We ended up buying a very nice one at K-mart. my father ended up putting it in his carry-on full of his clothes! Bringing it back never occured to us. Granted we would not have the story you would have, but we would not have this similar sized cooler to other ones in the family either.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 565
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does this concept have a future? It is a very interesting car.."

That..THING and its siblings are the best argument in the world for torching the CCD before the students can wreak any more havoc on an unsuspecting world.
From it's football field-sized dashboard to it's utterly pointless rear hatch opening, it's an exercise in ugliness..
I'm sorry..I understand you find it appealing and I don't mean to jump on your feelings..but have you had your eyeglass prescription checked lately?
:-)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well... agreed, it has it's problems.

I kind of like the outside mainly. It's a interesting concept. It's nice compared to other "modern" looking cars on the market (Scion, Aztec, or most neighborhood vehicles).

It's either a clown car, a box, or an electric shaver, right? I just want to see something that looks good. What are you thinking Zrx, go back to more classic designs? I'm curious to know what your opinions are...

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like originality of thought..it seems like damned near everything that comes out as a concept these days is either a repop of an old school classic (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, HHR, PT Cruiser, "New" Beetle, etc) that's been mildly treated to the jellybean "modern" look, or it's an all-out Jellybean, like the Airstream..
I like cars with nice character lines, wheel openings that aren't six feet below the greenhouse, and slim beltlines.
Excessive sheetmetal above the wheels really irks me for some reason.
Most of the stuff being designed/built these days looks like an inflatable with about 30 psi too much pressure, ya know? Also, I'd like to see more emphasis on CAR and less on freakazoid refrigerated/heated center consoles and the like..
I'm a firm believer in the idea that form follows function, and too many of these things have twisted that concept so badly that it's hard to imagine what "function" the vehicle was designed to perform..
Oddly enough, I'm finding that I like the Ford Flex rather a lot..it's simple and well proportioned..it looks like a box because it SHOULD look like a box to perform the job it's designed to do..
Hey, you asked!
:-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.