Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Credit scoring struck down by court! Yeah « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State regulators can prohibit insurers from using customers' credit scores to determine home and auto insurance rates, a practice critics says arbitrarily jacks up premiums for those with poor credit histories, the Michigan Court of Appeals has decided.

This means that a credit score will not affect your insurance rates.

About time.
http://www.detroitnews.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200808 23/BIZ01/808230321/1001/BIZ

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3543
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"if the ruling is not overturned it could drive up rates for those who have received insurance policy discounts because of a good credit score."

Well, that'd be me.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another victory for the deadbeats

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4939
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, another victory for those who don't file any or many insurance claims.

Credit history should have nothing to do with insurance rates.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 991
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would probably be surprised by the range of consumer behaviors that correlate with credit scores. They are exceptional predictors of the likelihood to buy and follow through with payments for things as varied as cell phone contracts and new vehicle service plans.

Intentionally blinding the insurance companies will cripple their ability to accurately predict future behavior. Consequently they'll under-rate the risk for many and then have to make good on their losses by redistributing the pain. A lot of good, low-risk people are going to see premiums jump due to this misguided homage to the belief that all are good and trustworthy.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4940
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insurance rates should be dependent on claim histories and the nature of what's being insured, not one's payment habits.

Insurance coverage for non-payment is easily canceled.

Low risk people shouldn't be penalized for setbacks experienced during times of financial hardship, especially with what's going on in today's economy.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 9003
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Lilpup, there are lots of good, dependable folks who are safe drivers that have had a few credit problems. Credit reports aren't even that accurate and getting things fixed takes months. This trend of using credit reports in regard to insurance rates and employment is a bad thing, unless the job relates to financial matters.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But wait, relying solely on credit scores worked so well for the mortgage industry the last few years! (Whoops, maybe not, see the Alt-A disaster.) Credit scores do have their place, but this doesn't seem like a good use for them.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree w lilpup and pg.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boo! Last year I switched to the credit system and saved $1,500 a year between the house and the car. I don't have any accidents. I agree with OD, score one for the deadbeats.

Not awarding those with good credit will keep the city full of foreclosed homes and credit criminals.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 9013
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is funny, I know a several people with great credit who also drive drunk regularly. This is just another attempt to screw people. People with good credit are not being rewarded, the others are being penalized.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 267
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess I'm a good example. Luckily I have been with my insurance company since 1995 and no claims. After 14 years of marriage my ex-wife decided she was tired of being a wife and mother and had to go find herself. Only problem she found herself after tapping my credit cards out. I refused to pay the $10,000+ she run up. Divorce papers said she was to pay it. She hasn't and God knows where she is. Why should I pay more for insurance because of a credit score?

Craig

Post Number: 992
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DougW - point taken, but the lenders who slipped into upside down did so by ignoring the lesson of the numbers. Think about the scores as you might the nutritional info on food: many dumb bastards get fat when the forecast is right there on the side of the package.

Personally, I'd like to be judged and charged in accordance with my current and past behaviors, but the scores provide an accurate analytic shortcut. To this end I say use 'em.

Craig

Post Number: 993
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something else about the alleged fallacies of credit scores and lenders who've gone tilt... lenders (and marketers) are not uniform in their methods for interpreting these scores. Among lenders the concept is known as "risk" and the tolerance for risk varies wildly among the players. To insiders it's clear that those who lowered their standards are also the banks facing insolvency.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 298
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the title of the article may be a little misleading.

If I'm reading it correctly, nothing was "struck down". It just says that state regulators can, if they so choose, prohibit insurance companies from using credit scores to determine insurance rates.

This would mean that if the next governor is friendly with insurance companies (can you say Dick DeVos?), then that administration could just as easily choose to allow insurance companies to continue this practice of using credit scoring.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the Court of Appeals opinion and am going by the information in the news article.

Dougw

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair points, Craig. The main problem with Alt-A mortgages was that they relied almost solely on credit score, which made it easy to commit fraud or otherwise game the system. As one of several inputs for a loan, credit scores are useful.
quote:

To insiders it's clear that those who lowered their standards are also the banks facing insolvency.

Absolutely. Unfortunately that's about half of all the lenders, E.g. Countrywide, Washington Mutual, IndyMac, New Century, GMAC, Fremont, Accredited, Ameriquest, etc, etc... it was a systemic problem.

Craig

Post Number: 994
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and to that end I say "f" them. In my business I know what you're doing next -maybe even before you know it yourself- based upon a credit score. If "they" were not smart enough to believe what they knew to be true then it should be their problem.

Dougw

Post Number: 2143
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed about the "f" them. We need to let them fail if we ever want to clean things up.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 831
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't they use DNA to determine whether a person will file claims.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a bad credit history because I have no history. Got rid off all credit cards in 1988. No loans, no debt = no credit history = bad credit. I have had no moving vio;ations since 1985. Why should I pay more when I am the most debt free person in Detroit? Am I a deadbeat? I don't think so.

Craig

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deadbeat probably isn't the right term, but I'll ask: do you own a home? Have utilities registered in your name? Have/had a student loan? What was your payment history with these?

I have some grim news for the free-spirits who deliberately "live off of the grid"; there are hundreds of millions of Americans who have and pay bills. Your lifestyles place you far outside of the mainstream, and commerce is geared to serve the mainstream. A degree of pleasure may come with the knowledge that you're not conforming, but your deliberate action comes at the price of the system's "mis-trust" of you borne of the fact that it lacks data needed to establish that you are a good risk.

So, Sumas, you're far out on the fringe. I feel that you should be paying more until you're able to demonstrate that you're not reckless with money. A good place to start is with a utility bill. Pay it on time and your scores will begin to rise.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would agree with Craig, get some credit. Note that getting credit is not the same as paying interest. Only put on your card what you can afford to pay off every month.

The sad reality is living with no credit history will seriously impact your ability to negotiate anything. Should you choose to buy a house, you will be saddled with the highest of mortgage rates, and this could result in paying out tens of thousands of extra dollars over the life of the loan. In addition, many employers will not hire people if they do not show a responsible credit history. This could put you at a disadvantage in the employment market. Should you go to rent a car for a weekend, the rental company will put a hold on your debit card. If you have any checks you are waiting to clear, and lets say you don't have over $20,000 in the account, you will bounce those checks at anywhere from $25-$45 a pop.

I don't know about you, but money looks better in my pocket than in the pocket of the banks.

Just remember that credit is a tool that needs to be managed effectively. It rewards those who use it responsibly and penalizes those who don't.

I urge you to do some research into credit. Places such as the yahoo finance page are excellent places to start. They regularly publish collumns by Ben Stien and Suze Orman, as well as more heavy hitter economists.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok now on to abolishing the unlawful, invasive system of credit scoring. We live in a free society, not to be monitored by private organizations.

Craig

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like we're at an impasse: I believe that biz needs the scores to economically assess risk and price policies.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7385
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is NO correlation between driving ability and credit scores. NO correlation between a low credit score and the likelihood of getting in an accident. There is NO reason the insurance swindlers should look at credit scores. it is a pay-as-you-go system, not a loan

Barebain
Username: Barebain

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but there is a correlation between the very reasonable insurance premiums I've obtained (living in Detroit) because of my good credit score. I also am a good driver with few claims, but could not get good insurance premiums until finding a company that used credit scores as a measure. People with high credit scores will be penalized if this takes hold. I do not think that insurance rates will decrease for those with low credit scores.

Insurance companies want as much of our money as they can get, and until a higher body tells them how to justly charge their customers (not, simply, how not to charge their customers), we will all continue to be penalized on this front.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never thought it was fair to use a person's credit history for determining insurance rates. They already penalize you if you live in certain areas. Before we got married, my wife lived on the west side near Central High and was paying about $4k a year for car insurance (1 Chrysler and 1 driver). She had excellent credit and a good driving record. My insurance rates were considerably lower, with not so great credit but I lived in a different part of the city. Still too high though. That's the main reason we moved out of the city. We now pay about half of what we paid before.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now we just need to stop basing eligibility for employment on credit score...

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some states with credit scoring have the scores adjusted to exclude unpaid medical bill collection actions.

I know that unpaid medical bills that went to collection negatively and expensively affected my credit score and insurance rates. Not that I couldn't pay the bills - I just could not comprehend the co-pay changes and intracacies and thought that eventually Blue cross and the hospital would figure it all out. Bad mistake. Hospital rushed to collections. Car insurance went up.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hospital rushed to collections."

Of course they did. They use credit scores and the penalty of negative reporting to extort money from folks whether they owe it or not. It isn't just hospitals, the utilities phone etc do the same.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But we have gripe sites... Sigh...

Craig

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RB - you're wrong about the presence of correlation. The numbers are there, but I'm not able say "are too" without giving up proprietary info.

Guess I'll ask for what I'm not able to give: do you have evidence or know of a public study refuting my assertion?

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now we just need to stop basing eligibility for employment on credit score...

It is very useful to use credit scores to weed out the risky potential employees that would have a greater likelihood of stealing from the business.

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for the next arbitrary measurement for car insurance,instead of driving history, lets use 3rd grade math scores, shoe size, and the number of fairies that can dance on a pin.

Craig

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trstar - you are wasting your considerable talent and insight by posting on DY. Run for office and lead the people out of the wilderness.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.businessweek.com/ma gazine/content/02_04/b3767072. htm

They are notoriously incorrect with many errors.

Craig

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did we read the same article? What in that piece supports the position that credit scores do not correlate with risk or that credit scores inaccurately reflect a consumer's credit-worthiness?

Argue that use of credit scores constitutes a social injustice (I don't believe so), but I've read nothing on this thread that credibly undermines the predictive power of credit scores.

An appeal: anyone on the other side of this issue who has credentials? Market research? Analyst? Underwriter? I do. "You" weigh in and we can move this discussion up a notch.

Craig

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father works for one of the largest insurers in the state. He says they have multiple studies which show that low credit score holders tend to file more claims, as well as more fraudulent claims. That's why they use credit scores.

I don't like that they do, since I am a very poor student whose score is not the best I pay the price.

Cargo_kitty
Username: Cargo_kitty

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think insurance should be based on what you're insuring and your history of having insurance. Those who only get insurance to get license plates or to get the house or apartment should pay the higher rate. People who file frivilous claims should pay more. Some people will pay the insurance before the credit card. I disagree that credit scores correlate to number of claims filed. I have a friend who's husband ruined her credit during a very nasty divorce. She has been insured by the same insurance company for over 30 years, NEVER had a claim and yet her insurance went up when her credit score dropped. Where's the fairness in that?

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an excellent article about the importance of establishing credit while young and how to go about doing so:

http://finance.yahoo.com/exper t/article/generationdebt/10370 8?count=30&start=6#dtk-cmtscnt

Lefty2

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Credit scores do predict an ability (or not) to pay to a high degree. The likely hood of a 600 score may be less timely or not at all than a 760 score. But how does that affect their driving skills?

Then if someone files a false claim keep it on their record and use it against them. If someone is struggling to pay their bill because for whatever reason, why increase the cost to them, this will only encourage them not getting insurance and therefore passing the cost onto others.

Please read the last paragraph. Well I will put it here. Per Business Week article.
" Insurance regulators say what makes them particularly suspicious is insurers' refusal to explain how they use credit histories, which are notoriously inaccurate and hard to interpret. Back in 1980, Aetna Inc.--which sold its property and casualty business in 1996--admitted past discrimination with ads showing a man eating crow. Given the groundswell against credit scoring, other insurers may soon see the same dish on the menu."

Craig

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that a part of the problem is that the article and paragraph wer written by a journalist for an audience of generalists.

"Notoriously inaccurate and hard to interpret". Again, I cannot take you to work and show you what I see, but with my eyes I see the results of simple correlation analyses and multivariate logistic regressions which connect credit scores with likelihood to file claims, buy supplemental life insurance, respond to offers to purchase new vehicles, etc. Sometimes the correlations are not so strong, but the credit score is as close as market researchers and strategic planners have to a magic bullet. Any analyst who deliberately ignores credit scores while constructing a predictive model is likely a fool. If this is you, then never send a resume to me or any of the banks or national marketers.

The article mentions discrimination but does not provide real detail. Discrimination is disadvantageous pricing for blacks, women, etc. solely because they are black or female. Something that laypeople often don't completely grasp, though, is the science of probability. Empirical data and scientifically proven methods determine what is probable, and it's flat-earth types who are challenged to accept statistically-derived findings and conclusions.

The law is clear: no pricing based upon ethnicity, gender, etc. And the law is well-informed by commonly held standards of social justice. Methods based in science which are color-blind are, in my opinion, just, valid, and useful.

"Too many brothers falling into sub-prime credit range" is a social issue and not relevant to the question of whether low scores are or are not strongly correlated with unacceptably high risk.

Lefty2

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you were a judge would you give someone a longer or highest prison term possible who had a low credit score. Therefore according to your stats would have a higher beta of crime propensity.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 623
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I can understand Craig's point about the predictive value of credit scores, there are also problems. If your credit score has inaccuracies, that will affect your insurance rates. It may take several months to correct a mistake, and by then you have been paying higher insurance rates. And most people do not have knowledge of their instantaneous credit scores. And sometimes credit scores can be unduly influenced by a simple credit application when the credit isn't even utilized.

For me, though, the biggest problem I have is the method used to calculate credit scores. The formulas are proprietary and unavailable for public scrutiny. Insurance is regulated by the state, but credit scores are not. Thus, there is a huge loophole that is not regulated, defeating the purpose of regulation in the first place.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish there was some way of predicting the probability of someone causing an auto accident. Hmm, if only insurance companies had some sort of record of one's driving history or motor vehicle record. We need to think about this. If only there were some way...

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only there was some way to assign responsibility for a so-called "accident". Maybe that way the person who caused it would take on the financial responsibility for everyone involved....

If only there was a way to prevent uninsured vehicles from ever being driven on public streets....

If only there was some way to remind people of the fact that driving a car is a privilege extended by the government, not a constitutional right....

If only the government did a better job of managing the extension of that privilege....

If only insurers had the power to fully discriminate in their policy-making similar to the unfettered power the government has to discriminate when awarding and revoking drivers licenses....

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't matter if the correlation is there. Correlation should not be used to determine causation.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Life was simpler before insurance companies started using credit scores. Once they started using credit scores, those hurricanes, flooding, and tornados increased and the billions of dollars of claims did too. What goes around, comes around. Natural disasters will stop once insurance companies stop using credit scores.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

only there was some way to assign responsibility for a so-called "accident". Maybe that way the person who caused it would take on the financial responsibility for everyone involved....

If only there was a way to prevent uninsured vehicles from ever being driven on public streets....

If only there was some way to remind people of the fact that driving a car is a privilege extended by the government, not a constitutional right....

If only the government did a better job of managing the extension of that privilege....
Does this cost the insurance companies money?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point is that if the government did a better job of managing their extension of the driving privilege and got the 20% of drivers who cause 80% of the "accidents" off the road, it would cost the responsible drivers a hell of a lot less money to insure their vehicles. Instead the government focuses on only the most flagrant moving violators and leaves the rest of us to the mercy of too many incompetent drivers who could never get or keep a license in most other countries of the world.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 638
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Mike has a point, and if we had better mass transit systems, government would be more likely to revoke driver's licenses. It becomes problematic to revoke someone's driver's license though. What happens to a family when the wage-earner loses a driver's license? Should children have to pay for the mistakes of their parents? Well, at some level of incompetence, yes. At other levels, maybe not. If there were better mass transit systems though, this wouldn't be a problem.

Gumby makes the point about correlation not meaning causation. In the case of the insurance scores predicting insurance claims, I believe there is causation. We have temporal precedence (an insurance score at time 1 is correlated with insurance claims at time 2), and concomitant variation (when credit scores vary, we see variation in insurance claims). There is a fairly weak theoretical causal link though, apparently that whatever causes financial instability also causes insurance claims? This is called a spurious correlation. Without fully understanding and explicating the theoretical causal mechanism, the model is suspect.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.