Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » The downtown "Jesus Patrol" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the deal with these guys? Where did they come from? Why are the outside every club I happen to go to? (rhetorical question) What church are they from? Why do they like to gain up on unsuspecting revelers trying to perform street baptisms? Does anyone else find them a bit, um, creepy?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3457
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It must be Jehovah's Witness.

They're at 7 Mile & Gratiot every morning.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got hit up on Woodward last week waiting for a bus. They all had matching T shirts and were pretty determined to break up the convo I had going with some other guy waiting for a bus. I had to ride off to another bus stop. I had told him I didnt feel like talking about Jusus at the moment and he wouldnt accept that and just kept rambling. Godman was nice enough of course but I was having a nice convo about the old Model T factory across the street, and he just interrupted and ruined it.

That fuckers goin to hell.

Just kiddin, but I wonder if they're the same group, this was in Highland Park.

Makes me wonder. If I had said I was affiliated with another church of the same denomination, would they have tried to get me over to their church to fill the basket, or is it all truly about the lord?

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did they get bored of praying at gas pumps for lower gas prices already?

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody said, "If it wasn't for Christians I'd be one!" Maybe it was me. :-)

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were at the Jullian Marley concert last night. My roommate grabbed a jesus booklet off a table and gave it to the guy with a megaphone and told him to quit f'ing littering.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 272
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in wearing comfortable clothing when preaching...probably some Evangie Christian group. I would have made a scene or told them something extreme.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It usually deters the sidewalk preachers if you tell them you are a practitioner of That Old Time Religion and look forward to the afterlife in the Happy Hunting Grounds, hunting Mammoths with Cro-Mags and Neanderthals. Invite them to take off their clothes and attend your bonfire on the solstices and equinoxes.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one is allowed to steal this line, but I end tirades on religion/do I know I'm going to burn for eternity by telling people (and this also serves as a commentary on the American retirement/pension crisis) that Going to Hell is my Retirement Plan. :-)

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 549
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When they ask if I've found God, I generally ask if they can remember where they were when they mislaid him..once that sinks in (it can take minutes, I tells ya), I ask 'em if they have found Satan.
:-)
Usually moves 'em right along to their next victim..

It's FUN to be an atheist in the city, so many unwitting rubes, so little time..

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell them you worship Cthulhu. That's what the urbanfisherman does.

Dtales
Username: Dtales

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh heh...MortalMan, that was a good one...I also like "I have no issues with God but I can't stand his followers." (Feel free to use harsher language, perhaps an expletive to taste.)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Somebody said, "If it wasn't for Christians I'd be one!" Maybe it was me. :-)"

You're paraphrasing Ghandi who said "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not all Christians are pushy, by the way.

I'm sure they mean well, but I don't think it's working.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 962
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a laugh and a half!

I just tell them I am gay and married to may partner for 12 years. That usually makes them go away. if not, I tell them OUR church accepts us the way we are and so does God. Then I turn my back to them.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6223
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leannam1989, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Just sayin'. But, to be sure, many of these folks greatly enjoy these kind of mental hit-and-runs, as most are trained beforehand in how to do it, so no one should have any qualms about mind-f%ck*ng them (excuse my French).

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 268
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several people have told me this was hateful....oh well:

BUT, I was being bombarded with Jehovah Witnesses. Got tired of it so I told my kid to lay down on the sidewalk of my front door. Took some chalk and outlined her body like a crime scene. Tore up some watchtower magazines and spread them around the shrubs next to the front door. Haven't been bothered by one since.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6225
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, sounds like you could get some kind of intimidation charge for that one, to be honest. Not sure if its quite up there with hanging nooses from a tree in plain view, but it's close.

You could probably tone it down by simply drawing a pentagram on your door that would only attract the bravest of the Christianists. :-)

(Message edited by lmichigan on August 24, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.